Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

Old Apr 8th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

I love this quote:

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings. ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

Best of luck to you and yours for the exciting years ahead
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:59 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mardyarse
I love this quote:

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings. ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

Love that quote, very thought provoking.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Haha...you did it at last!!!

Well done and all the best of luck for the future

lns
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:27 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

I love this quote:

Thank you! Love that quote - thank you for sharing it!

Where in Ottawa are you??
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:29 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Haha...you did it at last!!!

Well done and all the best of luck for the future

lns

Thanks! I was round there today and it was just so weird - they were both asking lots of questions and my dad gave me some stuff he'd printed off the internet for us (!). Now I can't believe I didn't mention it before!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Congrats! We too found it very difficult to tell family here, but they reacted much much better than we ever imagined!

All the best with the move! Where are you moving to?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:17 pm
Here for now

Originally Posted by Cowgirl
Congrats! We too found it very difficult to tell family here, but they reacted much much better than we ever imagined!

All the best with the move! Where are you moving to?

Thank you! I am glad it's not just me who worried about breaking the news? Am I right in thinking it was you would wrote a letter to ?your father-in-law about your move? I had thought of doing that if I got a bad reaction, luckily all went well

Good luck with your move! We are off to Ottawa.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:46 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you .... I'm afraid I never agonised over it .... I rushed into my mum's hospital room where she was recovering from a car accident that happened while we were in Canada on vacation, and just thoughtlessly blurted it out cos I was so excited about our decision.

I hadn't even stopped to consider how it might affect those we were leaving behind, at that time. Thoughtless or what?!!!

Poor old Mum was surprisingly stoic about the whole deal really, bless her to bits!!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skimom
Thank you! Love that quote - thank you for sharing it!

Where in Ottawa are you??
sorry I didn't reply earlier. We're in Manotick which is south of the airport (about 20 mins and 40 mins from downtown). We loved it the minute we came here and have settled very easily. Good luck with your turn, PM if you have any questions
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:01 pm
Here for now

sorry I didn't reply earlier. We're in Manotick which is south of the airport (about 20 mins and 40 mins from downtown). We loved it the minute we came here and have settled very easily. Good luck with your turn, PM if you have any questions
I know where Manotick is! We've lived in Ottawa before (diplomatic posting). We were in Alta Vista then. We so loved living in Ottawa that we just had to make the move back over! We are all really excited about it and looking forward to our landing visit at the end of next month!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know where Manotick is! We've lived in Ottawa before (diplomatic posting). We were in Alta Vista then. We so loved living in Ottawa that we just had to make the move back over! We are all really excited about it and looking forward to our landing visit at the end of next month!
Fabulous, so are we going to be neighbours?? haha
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:31 pm
Here for now

Fabulous, so are we going to be neighbours?? haha
You never know!! If 2 argumentative kids and a shouty mummy move in near you, beware! it may well be us!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about

That's great that your parents responded so well. It must be a weight off your mind.

We're in the relatively early stages, but both sets of parents know we've been 'working towards' a Canadian move for a while. However, I think my parents hoped we'd 'never get round to it' - now I've told them we're off on a serious recce, they've found it quite hard to get their head round it and seem quite upset. We live ~200 miles from them, but I think for them, it's the idea of their granddaughter being in a different country... not so much about me! My dad has also undergone major treatment for cancer recently, and has said he won't be able to fly to visit us.

I'll search out the other threads mentioned for some tips on helping to make the move as positive as possible for our parents.

Good luck selling your house!

Last edited by 254; Apr 14th 2011 at 2:26 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

You never know!! If 2 argumentative kids and a shouty mummy move in near you, beware! it may well be us!!
Hence why hubby bought 3 acres so they can't hear me anymore!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:56 am
Here for now

Hence why hubby bought 3 acres so they can't hear me anymore!
Hmm, now there's a good idea Manotick, here we come!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.