Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:38 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of
Default OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

Well, today I finally managed to break the news that we are emigrating! Despite all my months (years) of worrying, today was actually the right time as I got a very positive response!! As we got PPR last week, I was forced into saying something. Last night, I was re-reading the thread I started nearly a year ago (!) and one started by LinsyPinsy in Jan of last year - all full of great advice - unfortunately I didn't feel ready to mention it until today.

The main problem was that 18 months ago - about the time I wanted to break the news - my mum was diagnosed with cancer. Although we were going into a very stressful time with the process (son was originally declared inadmissible due to Asperger's), it was definitely not the time to tell of our plans.

Fast forward 18 months - son is allowed in, process complete, mum has had great recovery (keyhole surgery to remove the tumour and no further treatment necessary) and, although she has always been a very positive person, she now really feels that you should make the most of life as you only get one go at it!

Although she won't fly, I am hoping to persuade her to eventually sail over to see us.

I went over to see them and dad was out. Eventually, I managed to blurt out that we were going to move back to Canada and mum just said " emigrate?" "Well...yes." She then said she has been half-expecting it as we always talk about Canada and that when we lived there before, it really suited us all and we were obviously very happy. I then talked her through the whole process (poor woman) with all its ups and downs. Just as I'd finished, dad walked in - so I had to go through it all again! Luckily I had thought to take with me the file of info I had compiled when responding to our "Excessive Demand" Letter - dad was impressed!!

Despite being 46 and having my own family, I do still care about my parents' opinions of me and really wanted their approval. I have it. I am so happy tonight

I am so grateful to everyone who contributed to the threads mentioned earlier as all the comments really helped me! Good luck to any of you still trying to break the news to your families - you never know, they just might surprise you!

Sorry for the long post - and hope this all makes sense - I can finally really celebrate our PPR!!!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future
Default Re: OMG!! Have finally told my parents we're emigrating!!

Originally Posted by Skimom
Well, today I finally managed to break the news that we are emigrating! Despite all my months (years) of worrying, today was actually the right time as I got a very positive response!! As we got PPR last week, I was forced into saying something. Last night, I was re-reading the thread I started nearly a year ago (!) and one started by LinsyPinsy in Jan of last year - all full of great advice - unfortunately I didn't feel ready to mention it until today.

The main problem was that 18 months ago - about the time I wanted to break the news - my mum was diagnosed with cancer. Although we were going into a very stressful time with the process (son was originally declared inadmissible due to Asperger's), it was definitely not the time to tell of our plans.

Fast forward 18 months - son is allowed in, process complete, mum has had great recovery (keyhole surgery to remove the tumour and no further treatment necessary) and, although she has always been a very positive person, she now really feels that you should make the most of life as you only get one go at it!

Although she won't fly, I am hoping to persuade her to eventually sail over to see us.

I went over to see them and dad was out. Eventually, I managed to blurt out that we were going to move back to Canada and mum just said " emigrate?" "Well...yes." She then said she has been half-expecting it as we always talk about Canada and that when we lived there before, it really suited us all and we were obviously very happy. I then talked her through the whole process (poor woman) with all its ups and downs. Just as I'd finished, dad walked in - so I had to go through it all again! Luckily I had thought to take with me the file of info I had compiled when responding to our "Excessive Demand" Letter - dad was impressed!!

Despite being 46 and having my own family, I do still care about my parents' opinions of me and really wanted their approval. I have it. I am so happy tonight

I am so grateful to everyone who contributed to the threads mentioned earlier as all the comments really helped me! Good luck to any of you still trying to break the news to your families - you never know, they just might surprise you!

Sorry for the long post - and hope this all makes sense - I can finally really celebrate our PPR!!!
You deserve to celebrate !
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Well done you, telling your loved ones is never easy.
Where in Surrey are you from ? I worked in Farnham
Old Apr 8th 2011, 2:46 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Skimom and family, and I hope you have a great start in Canada!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Wonderful. That must be a load off your mind.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point

You never grow out of being a child so is difficult to tell parents. Well done you. Hope you have a great life in Canada
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

NikiG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Congratulations! I bet you feel much better now. I told my parents 5 years ago when we went to an emigration fair! I'm similar age to you and understand it's never easy at any age, leaving your parents. We are flying out in May..just waiting for house completion date (already left job and got rid of furniture this morning). And my Dad was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. He will need ongoing treatment, but it's under control for now.

Though they have time to get used to it, it still is hard. They have known since February when we sold the house that we would be going very soon. As it gets closer I get more anxious about saying our goodbyes and though my Dad won't fly, we will be visiting when we can and Skyping lots too.

When are you flying? Where to?

Good luck and keep me posted

NikiG
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic news, it is such a relief when you have your parents approval, like you say, it doesn't matter how old you are.
All the very best to you.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Fantastic news, it is such a relief when you have your parents approval, like you say, it doesn't matter how old you are.
All the very best to you.
Or that they actively want you to leave.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:27 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it went so well - must feel like a huge weight has been lifted.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 7:45 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
i dont think i have sought my parents approval for anything since i was at school..mind you they did kick me out when i was 16
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:43 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
Hmm, now there's an idea - my mum was surprisingly enthusiastic about our plans!!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:46 pm
Here for now

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
Well done you, telling your loved ones is never easy.
Where in Surrey are you from ? I worked in Farnham
Small world - We live between Farnham and Guildford!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:47 pm
Here for now

Thanks for all you comments! Yes, it was a relief to get our plans out in the open.. I've been so worried about finding the "right time" - and in the end, it all worked out really well.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:54 pm
Here for now

Originally Posted by NikiG
Hi

Congratulations! I bet you feel much better now. I told my parents 5 years ago when we went to an emigration fair! I'm similar age to you and understand it's never easy at any age, leaving your parents. We are flying out in May..just waiting for house completion date (already left job and got rid of furniture this morning). And my Dad was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. He will need ongoing treatment, but it's under control for now.

Though they have time to get used to it, it still is hard. They have known since February when we sold the house that we would be going very soon. As it gets closer I get more anxious about saying our goodbyes and though my Dad won't fly, we will be visiting when we can and Skyping lots too.

When are you flying? Where to?

Good luck and keep me posted

NikiG
Good luck with your move, Niki!! I hope it all goes smoothly. I'm sorry to hear of your dad's illness, it must make things more difficult for you. Skype is a great thing - we'll be using it a lot. My daughter (who's 7) reckons she'll skype grandma and grandad every day when she gets in from school! I also plan to bring the kids back twice a year if possible.

We are off to Ottawa, not sure when yet - it all depends on work, selling the house - the usual!! We're going over to land during May half-term. Have just booked the flights so all very excited now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.