Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OMG Canadian Affair Luggage allowance

OMG Canadian Affair Luggage allowance

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Re: OMG Canadian Affair Luggage allowance

We flew with Air Canada which allows two pieces of 23kg per person however being from Northern Ireland we got a flight over to Heathrow with Aer Lingus which only allowed one piece per person at 20kg, so of course this mean't having to weigh the damned suit cases with the bathroom scales to make sure we didn't go over, luckily we managed it to under the 20kg but our suitcases were crammed, I don't think they even looked at the weight to be honest!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

katie1962 will become famous soon enough

My mum arrived on Monday with Air Transat and she was allowed 20kg here and 30kg going back Guess they think that she will be buying things here and taking them back
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

the baggage amounts airlines let you take changes alot too

When we were first looking for flights to Canada Air canada was 1 bag of 23kg each ... but by the time we booked we were allowed 2 bags of 32 each and only 40 pounds for each extra bag you wanted to bring ... but bags over 32kg you were charged alot too .... We were told they changed it as the price of oil had dropped alot in price so you were allowed lots more baggage..
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

one way of getting round it is to ask for sporting goods allowance - fishing tackle is free! (or it has been for the last few years with CA) they dont actually check its fishing stuff - we genuinely take tackle in a rod pod thing and an extra bag - hm you would be amazed at what else we put in there on the way back (skateboard one year!).
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:44 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by irishsamx
Can this be right for an International flight

20 kg per person and 5 kg of hand luggage.

I have booked Mum and Dad flights to come over for a holiday and she aint happy.......usually brings the grand kids lots of prezzies

Is it possible to pre-book and pay for another suitcase as I am not going to pay 10 pounds per kg extra!!!!

I thought only Ryanair ripped us off for the luggage!!
Actually, this is quite normal allowance for charter flights and their prices are reflective of this no rip off......suggest you book with a schedule airline BA, Air Canada if you want all the frills. Saying that check out the luggage allowance with them also, as I know we had 32kgs each piece but may not be the case now. Good luck but you really get what you pay for.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:43 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have booked Mum and Dad flights to come over for a holiday and she aint happy.......usually brings the grand kids lots of prezzies

Is it possible to pre-book and pay for another suitcase as I am not going to pay 10 pounds per kg extra!!!!

hey sam

sounds about right.
dont underestimate what 20kg weighs though.
its enough to me grunt and youve seen how big i am.

i think 50kg between them should be plenty but if they are near the limit maybe they could do what i did when i came over:
3 coats one on top of the other and my steel work boots on. they dont weight you or your clothes!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:53 pm
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wbexpat
hey sam

sounds about right.
dont underestimate what 20kg weighs though.
its enough to me grunt and youve seen how big i am.

i think 50kg between them should be plenty but if they are near the limit maybe they could do what i did when i came over:
3 coats one on top of the other and my steel work boots on. they dont weight you or your clothes!

cheers Carl, I will keep that in mind.....but I do hope they won't need coats and boots at the end of May and June.....

Well I hope not, any way
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:59 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

cheers Carl, I will keep that in mind.....but I do hope they won't need coats and boots at the end of May and June.....

Well I hope not, any way

they wont.

a bloody bazooka for the blackfly might be handy....

...no im messing.

20kg of summerish clothes should be more than enough for folks with access to a washer.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

BEWARE NOT ALL AIRLINES ARE THE SAME!!! When we emigratted we flew London to Toronto with Air Transat - 4 of us 20kg per person plus 5kg each hand luggage (those little suit cases weigh about 3KG!!). At London we had 7 suitcases a weighed in and paid the excess of 300 gbp they didn't really care other than to charge as much as they could.
However Toronto to Winnipeg was with West Jet and they wont lift any bag weighing more 50lb. We had to shuffle clothing from one case to another to try an balance them all below 50lb having been out of bed for 24hrs that's just what you need on an airport floor.......however they only charged a flat rate of $40 for being overweight.
On a recent vacation trip with Air Canada, we went with two suitcases for 3 of us and were allowed 44lb per person per bag. 132lb total - We had 89lb but in 2 cases, they wanted to charge us $75 for excess of 1lb but if we had taken 3 cases there would have been no issue!!!

It's cheap fares....... but they make their money elsewhere!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Beware that British Airways now charges an extra 25 quid for any bag over 23kgs even though you can take a bag at maximum weight of 32kgs the "free" allowance is 23kgs on any flight, anywhere! The difference now is that if it's a short haul you can only take 1 bag per person but for long haul its 2 bags.

So rather than take 1 case that might weigh over 23 its cheaper to take 2 cases and spread the load. Not sure how this benefits the airline.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:46 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

We've been traveling with Canadian Affair for the past 4 years and we've always had the 20kg luggage and 5kg hand luggage allowance - except when we've upgraded to get the extra 10kg. Canadian Affair use different carriers, and each charges a different amount to upgrade. Check with CA it might be worth the upgrade, and like others say...they really only need to bring a weeks worth of clothes as you can wash them.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
So rather than take 1 case that might weigh over 23 its cheaper to take 2 cases and spread the load. Not sure how this benefits the airline.
Exactly - Maybe this is becoming the "norm" and it's about Health and Safety so the airport baggage handlers can handle them with less risk of back injury
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

If you call Canadian Affair on 0207 616 9184, you can pre arrange extra baggage for less than the airport excess charges. As long as your bags dont go over 30KG per bag as the baggage handlers are not insured to handle any more than that.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:49 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
If you call Canadian Affair on 0207 616 9184, you can pre arrange extra baggage for less than the airport excess charges. As long as your bags dont go over 30KG per bag as the baggage handlers are not insured to handle any more than that.
When we checked-in for a CA Thomas Cooke flight on 25th March there were loads of passengers messing about moving stuffing from one bag to another to get the weights right. Personally I don't understand it, 30kg is a lot to get in one suitcase.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:35 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

We used Continental Airlines at Xmas, flew to Toronto via New Jersey...the luggage allowance was incredible, 23kgs per bag, 2 bags each....plus 18kg each for hand luggage. Who do they think could carry 18kg onto a flight as hand luggage? And imagine that landing on your head after a bumpy flight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.