Reload this Page >

Old Parents Cold Canada

Old Parents Cold Canada

Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Ayan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old Parents Cold Canada

**Suggestion please**

My parents are old (father in 70s) and from Indian origin, due to some urgency I need to bring them here in Canada from August - December.

I'm not sure how my parents will cope with extreme cold weather in Canada

Has anyone from the subcontinent came across same situation? how did you take care of parents (specially when taking them out)?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Old Parents Cold Canada

Hi Ayan,

Where about's in Canada will they be visiting? If its Alberta its not too bad as its a dry climate.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Hi Ayan,

Where about's in Canada will they be visiting? If its Alberta its not too bad as its a dry climate.
Wet or dry, -30 is cold and to a 70yr old from India it'll be an absolute shock to the system.

To the OP, you mention August to December. Depends where you are but you're not likely to see any extreme cold until December.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Ayan, I have a large extended family in Calgary from India that are fine (trust me.. there are some elderly relatives I have that pre date the dinosaurs!). As you know it can get very cold in India too.
The differences in the cold is that a wet cold will get inside you. Elderly will feel it a lot more. Where as a dry cold, yes it will be a shock. But they won't really feel it if just for example popping outside and into a warm vehicle. But they will have to layer up.
My sisters mother in law is around 85 and is she is fine.

But what I would say is there may be a adjustment period (again depending on which part of Canada).
Slightly going off the main question but relative. My mum visited very recently and she found she developed a rash when inside the houses. It was more to do with the heating systems (dry vented heat). I have a cousin who's elderly mother is staying from India. She has the same problem. The cold was ok. But the household heating took a bit of adjusting too. That was more of a problem then the cold.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Ayan123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

They are coming to Brampton and not used too of to much cold weather. I'm also very new in Canada so thats why little worried about them.

How about Brampton/ON is it too cold during winter??
any of you guys knows any good medical insurance policy I can arrange before they arrive here??
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't really got an issue until December, I would have thought they would slowly acclimatize over that period.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This should do the job
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its only OUTSIDE thats cold in the winter. One goes from heated house, to prewarmed car, to heated mall etc etc.

And as a wise man said, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

That advice is good down to about -25°C in my expereince, and its very seldom that cold in Brampton.

Embrace the winter, otherwise its 4 months of misery.