Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Old age and Canadian winters

Old age and Canadian winters

Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age and Canadian winters

Originally Posted by riosangel
Gosh, I'm beginning to wish I'd never started reading this thread. It's putting me off moving to Canada as when we can move my husband will be 49 and I will be 43. I had thought that if we did it, it would be for good but reading this thread it seems that a lot of people don't consider it to be a permanant move. It had crossed my mind about getting older there and coping in the Winters but have got to admit that I didn't realise that most older people moved away for the Winter. Maybe I should be looking for somewhere warmer as I certainly don't want to move my family with the intention of returning a few years later, it's different if you have no option.
Forty years ago yesterday I considered it a permanent move. I still do. I would venture to say that most people do. MOST older people do NOT move away for the winters. Some of us are able to do so but I would say it was the minority. It isn't a question of coping with the winters. We are geared for it and it isn't a problem. Life goes on. However, if one is able to do so why not ?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Forty years ago yesterday I considered it a permanent move. I still do. I would venture to say that most people do. MOST older people do NOT move away for the winters. Some of us are able to do so but I would say it was the minority. It isn't a question of coping with the winters. We are geared for it and it isn't a problem. Life goes on. However, if one is able to do so why not ?
I agree Simon, if you are able to do so I don't blame you at all and that is what I thought - that you must be geared up for the Winter over there, but then reading this thread I did start to wonder. Thanks, you have put my mind at rest.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:39 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riosangel
I agree Simon, if you are able to do so I don't blame you at all and that is what I thought - that you must be geared up for the Winter over there, but then reading this thread I did start to wonder. Thanks, you have put my mind at rest.

We are here definitely for the long term, maybe forever but I would like the option of winter sun and heat in my dotage
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We are here definitely for the long term, maybe forever but I would like the option of winter sun and heat in my dotage
The nice thing about retirement is you can choose to go away for long periods (if you can afford it) or just short three or four day trips and everything in between.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt a lot of people won't like me saying this but members of BE are, perhaps, not your typical citizens.

With the UK Capital some have arrived with and/or the high pay levels that go with the high skills/qualifications that made them so in demand as to be able to get through the immigration process, being able to afford more than the "norm" should not come as a surprise.

This is not "everyone" of course but maybe enough to make things appear different compared to other groups of people.

Even I, a lowly UK Civil Servant, was able to use UK equity for a good home in Canada and a rental property; living on a reduced pension and rental income.

That rental property, as mentioned in yes-can-do's plan, could have been in somewhere like Florida and available to me for winter. If I had been a little older and not taken the pension so early; in better paid employment in the UK (£15k salary isn't a fortune is it?); had not taken a complete retirement in Canada; my wife had been able to work as well (as with many couples) or any combination of these (and more) factors, who knows what lifestyle I could have afforded here?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Hi there,
thanks for all the feedback on my original thoughts/concerns about being old in our Canadian winters. It would appear that this is a concern for a number of posters. It obviously makes a difference if one is born and bred in Canada, as you're well used to the winters, and quite frankly probably don't know anything else. Travelling down south is something that many look to be considering, but again, this will probably have to come to an end at some point as one gets older.

For those with family, then I totally see how you'd wish to be here with them, and their children. For those of us that are left without children, it really is a different situation, and one that will leave one of us completely on their own at some point.....a scary thought, not made any better with the frigging cold.

Not sure if the answer is to move back to the UK though, as some consider. It is always a possibility, but I am very aware that the country I left almost 20 years ago, doesn't exist anymore.....However, thanks again, it's good to hear the thoughts and advice of others.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
In an earlier time I really thought I wanted to retire to the "Island". My wife's sister lives in Duncan, and we have friends in Nanaimo and Parksville.

After retirement we spent a number of early springs in the Parksville area and although it's beautiful, I love walking on the beach, the grass is green and some of the flowers are in bloom I realised I could not live there full time.

I find the cloud and rain far too depressing for me.

It may be good for people who don't mind that sort of winter but it's definitely not for me.
I have met so many Albertans who have moved to the Island recently.And the reason they moved ,was they were fed up with the cold and snow.It rain's less here than when we lived in Surrey,and i can cycle and play golf all year round.When we moved to Canada 3 years ago,it was the Island or not bother moving for us .Because i am not a fan of cold and snow.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi all,
is anyone else concerned about getting old in Canada?
I am. I haven't figured out my exit plan yet but I don't plan to be here for my later years. Nope. Not at all.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:38 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
I have met so many Albertans who have moved to the Island recently.And the reason they moved ,was they were fed up with the cold and snow.It rain's less here than when we lived in Surrey,and i can cycle and play golf all year round.When we moved to Canada 3 years ago,it was the Island or not bother moving for us .Because i am not a fan of cold and snow.
Judging by the number of Alberta licence plates I thought half the population was down here ! There are many many of them.
One of my neighbours here is from Vcr Island and says that there hasn't been so much snow there for years.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

[
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
[
Brief, but no doubt as good a post as many.

Originally Posted by Luckyone
It would appear that this is a concern for a number of posters. It obviously makes a difference if one is born and bred in Canada, as you're well used to the winters.
I don't see that. Being born in Canada doesn't give you a better idea of being old.

Not sure if the answer is to move back to the UK though, as some consider. It is always a possibility, but I am very aware that the country I left almost 20 years ago, doesn't exist anymore.....
There are however, a good number of alternatives other than the UK, Arizona or Florida. Beirut or Baghdad come to mind.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't see that. Being born in Canada doesn't give you a better idea of being old.
Not sure about that.

I swear my eldest was born 40 and grew into it.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about that.

I swear my eldest was born 40 and grew into it.
Oh dear. Does s/he vote conservative?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh dear. Does s/he vote conservative?
Definitely not.

He lives in Rob Anders ward.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:29 pm
Born again atheist

Definitely not.

He lives in Rob Anders ward.
Oh jeez. One of the worst of Harper's NCC hacks.

I'm glad your offspring has turned out to be a chip off the old block.

May he breed profusely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.