Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Okanagan BC V's Foothils AB

Okanagan BC V's Foothils AB

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about
Default Okanagan BC V's Foothils AB

My husband and I seem to have slightly different priorities, when we are looking at where to settle in Canada. We have a 3 week trip planned for May and I am very interested to hear other peoples views on these areas.

I'm favouing the Okanagan region - Hills, Lakes, warmer climate, but the down side for me is the distance from an international airport - I love to travel and it's also much further for visitors!

My OH is prefering the southern Alberta foothills region - he basically wants to be a cowboy!!!!! I worry about being so far from the sea and not really having that lake/beach culture.

Please enlighten us
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Okanagan BC V's Foothils AB

Originally Posted by thesidds
My husband and I seem to have slightly different priorities, when we are looking at where to settle in Canada. We have a 3 week trip planned for May and I am very interested to hear other peoples views on these areas.

I'm favouing the Okanagan region - Hills, Lakes, warmer climate, but the down side for me is the distance from an international airport - I love to travel and it's also much further for visitors!

My OH is prefering the southern Alberta foothills region - he basically wants to be a cowboy!!!!! I worry about being so far from the sea and not really having that lake/beach culture.

Please enlighten us
Well Okanagan can get -20s in the winter and also it's nearly 200 miles from the sea a vol d'oiseau if it helps you at all.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough

Kelowna has just started work on extending the airport runway. It will be able to take flights direct from the UK by end of the year.

David
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:09 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David P
Kelowna has just started work on extending the airport runway. It will be able to take flights direct from the UK by end of the year.
Which is a real shame.

R.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David P

David
Emphasis on "will be able to take" but just because they extend the runway doesn't mean the international airlines will come. Kelowna will pick up the odd international charter but not much more.

There has to be a population base and demand or there is no reason for an airline to come. Take a look at Edmonton, much larger than Kelowna and a big international airport but most flights come to Calgary.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:28 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Emphasis on "will be able to take" but just because they extend the runway doesn't mean the international airlines will come. Kelowna will pick up the odd international charter but not much more.
No doubt Ryanair will be offering flights to "Vancouver Kelowna" international airport.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

That's classic....I used to live just outside Frankfurt, Germany and Ryanair used to fly to 'Frankfurt Hahn.....Which - of course, was MILES away from Frankfurt!!!!

I love the Okananagan - we even thave a house there. But doesn't it rather depend on what you are doing....I mean do you have to work? Kelowna certainly doesn't have the choice of jobs that Calgary has....If we didn't have to work then we would head out that way....We live in Calgary and I would say it is a good place to be - for the moment at least....The Rockies are on our doorstep, Kananaskis and the 'cowboy trail are wonderful.....Plus, as I said, there is a good choice of jobs in the area....The downside of both areas are that house prices are pretty high. That said if you have a house to sell in the UK the prices probably don't seem that bad by comparison!!!

If the airport is that high on your list then I guess Calgary has the edge.....But then it only takes an hour to fly to Kelowna from Calgary......

Before I get attacked I should say that I spend a lot of time in Edmonton - my hubby's parents live there and I know the place very well....Just wouldn't really suggest it as an alternative to Calgary or certainly Kelowna!!! It has its charms but......

Good luck with your decision
Lisa
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

OOoops...Sorry Steve...Just re-read your post and 'got' what you were saying about Edmonton....Completely agree......Thank goodness - thought you were going crazy for a minute!!!
L
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by leepee
OOoops...Sorry Steve...Just re-read your post and 'got' what you were saying about Edmonton....Completely agree......Thank goodness - thought you were going crazy for a minute!!!
L
Actually Edmonton is not as bad as all that.

When I first came to Canada Edmonton was home for nine years it is really quite a nice place, I met my wife there.

No it's not Calgary but if I had been transferred there instead of Calgary I'm sure that I would have been happy. I'm just happier here in Calgary.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your veiws - it all helps.
Are there any beaches (lake ones of course) in Southern Alberta? My boys love the beach!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:47 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Please enlighten us
Hi
Check out this forum... http://www.accessokanagan.com/ ...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is prefering the southern Alberta foothills region - he basically wants to be a cowboy!!!!!
You can still be a cowboy in BC. The Nicola Valley, between Vancouver and Kelowna, is an easy 1 1/2 drive away and has some huge ranches.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:56 pm

Thanks for your veiws - it all helps.
Are there any beaches (lake ones of course) in Southern Alberta? My boys love the beach!
No beaches to speak of in southern Alberta.

Very few large lakes in Southern Alberta.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Lots of larger lakes around Ed though ... all swings and roundabouts
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

The Okanagan isn't only about Kelowna.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.