Okanagan

Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:08 am
Hopefully :)

CampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant futureCampbellsRComing has a brilliant future
Default Okanagan

Does anyone live in the Okanagan and if so what are your views? I have read that it is very expensive to live in Kelowna. What about Vernon, Penticton or Kamloops? Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by CampbellsRComing; Jul 1st 2010 at 10:10 am.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:28 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Okanagan

Kamloops real estate is somewhat less expensive, though this needs to be balanced with the fact it's a smaller city than Kelowna, so job opportunities are proportionally fewer.

The landscape here is more rugged and arid. Climate is broadly similar, though slightly hotter and drier. Access to lakes, ski hills and recreational activities is equally good in Kamloops. Cultural events are better served in Kelowna.

For day to day living I rarely feel the need to go elsewhere. Kelowna's c 2hrs drive away if you need a bigger shopping mall, but in 5yrs I've never bothered to go there to shop.

Kamloops is a somewhat blue collar city, it's slow paced, laid back and doesn't suffer with the traffic congestion or big influx of tourists in the summertime.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

I can reccomend the website Accessokanagan.com its an excellent source for all things Okanagan
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Does anyone live in the Okanagan and if so what are your views?
Lake or mountain with a bit of luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CampbellsRComing
Does anyone live in the Okanagan and if so what are your views? I have read that it is very expensive to live in Kelowna. What about Vernon, Penticton or Kamloops? Any information would be appreciated.

We arrived in Kamloops 8 weeks ago. Life here is great, more laid back than what we were used to in the UK and we were not city folk either. Getting around is a breeze. Work was not an issue as both arrived here with jobs lined up.

We had to travel to Kelowna a few weeks ago for a couple of days to sit exams, we were realy comforted knowing we were going to be returning to Kamloops, Kelowna we felt was way to busy and nowhere near as easy to get around. Scenery in Kamloops much more breathtaking too!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyched
Scenery in Kamloops much more breathtaking too!
Isn't it funny how we all like such different things - 'tis why the world and people are so endlessly fascinating!

We had a one-day trip around Kamloops last week and I did not take to the landscape at all. It was in interesting shapes, I will grant you that - but the lack of natural greenery, the parched sandy colours - well it looks like Alberta in the winter and I'd need some relief in the summer

I'd happily sell up and move to Blind Bay in the Shuswaps barely an hour away though. Must be a microclimate of rain, greenery and sunshine.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:09 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it very much depends on how close you would prefer to be near diff amenities & of course work.

Vernon I don't find as attractive in the town as Kelowna, but i like the more rural / western feel of it on the outskirts - Kelowna is more developed & more cultivated (vineyards, orchards).

West Kelowna is cheaper than Kelowna itself, but not as far away as Vernon.

if you haven't already found it & are wanting to review house prices:

http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx

I think if jobs were no problem, then I would prefer Kelowna to Vernon / Penticton as I am used to having more shops / museums etc, but I might live in West Kelowna just cos of house prices.

Kamloops I don't know having only visited one a long time ago
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We love the Okanagan and as the temperatures are now in the mid thirties spending time by the lake whenever you can is just bliss. A 15 minute drive is all it takes to get to any one of the local beaches from where we live in West Kelowna and if you stay this side of the bridge or head to Peachland parking is free ALL DAY. In the winter Big White ski resort is about an hours drive and you have your choice from 118 runs.
I think Ann m summed it up when she said we all like different things. It isn't easy to understand why one person loves a place when another hates it so you need to spend time her and see what you feel. We did and we ended up in West Kelowna even though originally we thought that Salmon Arm would be our new home. Difficult to put it all in words without writing for hours but:

Didn't like Vernon, found the downtown area old and scruffy and the lake is not close to downtown. The highway through Vernon is also ugly but then it's not much better through parts of Westbank. However areas that are nice around Vernon are the Foothills area and Coldstream. Both are now getting more built up but still have nice spots. Going out towards Lumby there are some beautiful views and some good price rural properties, same can be said for Armstrong.
Penticton is nice but very quiet outside summer and the shopping centre is very very small, also not sure about work prospects outside of the tourist season. Lots of retirees live there and it does have a very "seaside town" feel to it.
Summerland is a strange place, the centre seems odd with it's mock tudor shop fronts and there isn't much there but the lakeside area of Summerland is very nice and so are the rural areas out the back of Summerland, in fact you could often mistake it for driving in rural England as the roads twist and turn over cattle grids and pass farmland.
Kelowna is by far the biggest and of course busiest place and by that fact alone is not to eveyones liking. The strip malls and gas stations all along the highway aren't particularly pretty but the mall is huge and worth a vist. Turn off and head downtown by the lake and apart from a couple of streets where the homeless hang out it is very pretty. The pathway walk all along the lake around the marina and over the boardwalk is great on a summers evening or sit and watch the free music in the park then have an ice cream before you head off to people watch. The surrounding scenery for the most part is breathtaking even though we have had the fires last year there are still a lot of trees about.
Kamloops is difficult to put into words as we have only visited for short periods. Personally i found it very barren and therefore not particularly pretty but as i said we didn't venture off the beaten track as it were. It is certainly less busy than Kelowna and property is cheaper. If you head back towards Salmon Arm there are some beautiful places such as Blind Bay that was mentioned but it all depends on work and what amenities you need.

That's it as i said i wouldn't write for hours.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving through Highway 97 in Kelowna is like this a nightmare mutated concoction of Vegas/Blackpool/retail overkill.

Kelowna is basically whatever you want it to be. A population of gangsters rednecks hippies meatheads steroid freaks chilled out folks yuppies (no buppies) renegades jackasses conmen stoners deceivers believers religious tubthumping hate preachers muilti-millionaires bums skaters mountain bikers ski'ers boarders rag-taggle homeless crack and meth heads teen prostitutes undercover cops Eurotrash rap stars sports stars crusty retirees with/without wealth - all are at your disposal for social interaction.

Whatever you want you'll find, and more besides. Lots to do here, more than a person has the time for regardless of the season.

No time for me to write an essay on the socio-economics and potted history of The Okanagan nor is it appropriate for me to articulate the how's and why's of this place. It's an interesting area to live for sure but beware the dark underbelly and deep undercurrents of this place. All it not what it seems, glossy brochures, flash websites and realtor propaganda and the words of the generally duplicitous and the deceitful self serving mean very little in the real world...

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 26th 2010 at 4:32 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

Merritt is a nice little town which is 45 mins South of Kamloops and about 1hr from Kelowna. It has great road networks for getting out and exploring the BC interior. It's 3 hrs to Vancouver.
It's a pretty town with everything you need. Lots and lots of great lakes, hiking and biking trails. Also x country ski trails. Kane Valley is on it's doorstep which is so beautiful, and full of wildlife, we always see deer & moose or if we are lucky black bears. It is greener then Kamloops and has a great friendly community with lots going on for a small town.
Jobs are not as easy to come by as in the big cities, but it is a great option if you don't like big city living. It also has 2,030 hours of sunshine a year!
Nursing staff is always needed and plumbers & electricians and teachers. You can look it up on www.merritt.ca
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Merritt is a nice little town www.merritt.ca
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

We moved to the Okanagan almost 18months ago and love it. We've just bought an acreage in Armstrong, north of Vernon. Its a fantastic community with everything we need. For us Kelowna and kamloops were too big and busy. A lot depends on your individual needs and job situation.
If you've not already, I'd strongly advise visiting www.okanaganforum.com
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's great when it's not on fire.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I take it you disagree that Merritt offers much to the international migrant ?

The OP may be first nations, own a beater truck, be a cow handler or such itinerant rural type seeking a humble shack for an abode.

They may fit in well in Merritt. Judge not, eh.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

shonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura aboutshonaoconnor has a spectacular aura about

We moved to Vernon Mar 09. We love it here. It is so pretty here with the mountains and the lakes. The people are extremely friendly. You can get across the whole town in 20 mins. Shopping is more limited than Kelowna but youcan always gp tp Kelowna which is only 40 mins drive along a very scenic route.

Personally I'd rather live a quieter town where the traffic isn't a nightmare. The property prices are cheaper in Vernon too. The schools are good and for a small place it has lots of things going on. Obviously there's the lakes so watersports, plus golf, mountain biking, skiing in the winter. But lots of festivals, theatre, music etc. There's something going on in Vernon or surrounding villages every weekend in the summer.

I'm glad we chose here rather than Kelowna. You can always live half way between the two in Lake Country where the property is cheaper. We're still renting until we decide where to buy. Property prices are still falling.

Good Luck with wherever you choose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.