Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, I have to be totally honest here

OK, I have to be totally honest here

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, I have to be totally honest here

I get 70s vibes here in Victoria but that's mostly down to all the bloody hippies.

Do all the provinces have their own unique 70s qualities?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Mrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
But it says all those things in the Daily Mail. I hardly think a reputable newspaper would tell an untruth. I grew up in the East Midlands by the way. Rained every day and then some.
So why didn't you try another bit of canada first? Perhaps city life would suit you better? Doesn't have to be big city. Ottawa has a good feeling to it (though less exciting than some places).
Where in the UK will you head to - East Midlands again?
Oh of course. - 'The Daily Fail'! All it prints must be true (although a publication of even its nefarious reputation would be welcome here!). Contrary to popular belief, it does not rain that much in the East Midlands (and I have lived there previously for over 20 years). We couldn't go to any other part of Canada because of partner's work offer - tied into Cape Breton. I agree, city life may have been better, but from what I read on this site, even that has it's limitations. Going back to a village twixt Nottingham, Leicester and Derby.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Mrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not sure what is the purpose of your thread. You seem to have made your mind up to leave Canada, or are you looking for inspiration to stay, put others off of coming to Canada or whine for the sake of whining?
Probably a bit of everything here! I have looked on the Expat website before for inspiration, but often come away feeling more despondent!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by haggis88
Dour east coast mentality...maybe you should move to the West of Scotland, might give you a better outlook on life
Totally refute that one! East Coasters known for their brusque cheeriness. West Coasters more dour, probably because of the dreich weather they have to endure!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:57 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Dava
I don't think so! I have been out of the UK for less than a year, these factors were always high on the list (and I also worked in the NHS for 23 years), but to be honest police service - better configurated, compared to here where you don 't see a patrol car from day to day; health service - we only pay for prescription fees (unless exempt), unlike Here, where you have to pay for the drugs, unless you have some kind of insurance plan in place; rain every day - not likely; don't think you have ever lived in the East Midlands?; migrants - not really an issue, more a pan-European issue - and your comment here does smack of some kind of xenophobia. I think I am better off in the UK, especially as the Canadian Federal Government has now announced 11 weeks of political purdah!
Which part did you consider was xenophobic? The term actually means to have a dislike of people from other countries. Hardly likely to say that when I migrated to Canada myself. Migrants are just trying to get the best deal for themselves. Problem is - at who's expense? Anyway, that's far off topic.
I hope you and your family find what you're looking for.

Last edited by pdarwin; Aug 3rd 2015 at 1:03 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:00 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a bit of everything here! I have looked on the Expat website before for inspiration, but often come away feeling more despondent!
I guess you read too many threads like this one eh!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:44 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you actually put some thought into it before the move? I also worked for decades for the NHS and was only too happy to escape that sadly sinking ship. They didn't spring it upon you that drugs were not covered unless you have extended benefits. I absolutely agree with everyone's comments- Cape Breton is scarcely representative of the rest of Canada- maybe you up-sticked somewhat without adequate thought about potential implications or research which maybe dare I say may not have been the wisest thing to do. You reap what you sew...... Choice between where I live and the East Midlands?- here please.. But that is just in my opinion.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 3rd 2015 at 2:55 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Which part did you consider was xenophobic? The term actually means to have a dislike of people from other countries.
That would be the part with the overly emotive language and exaggeration of foreigners taking over. Fits the definitions (not just your limited one) perfectly.
migrants swarming in without control; loss of British identity
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 1:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so! I have been out of the UK for less than a year, these factors were always high on the list (and I also worked in the NHS for 23 years), but to be honest police service - better configurated, compared to here where you don 't see a patrol car from day to day; health service - we only pay for prescription fees (unless exempt), unlike Here, where you have to pay for the drugs, unless you have some kind of insurance plan in place; rain every day - not likely; don't think you have ever lived in the East Midlands?; migrants - not really an issue, more a pan-European issue - and your comment here does smack of some kind of xenophobia. I think I am better off in the UK, especially as the Canadian Federal Government has now announced 11 weeks of political purdah!

11 weeks really isn't that long, and well everyone knew the election was coming, and there really is no use at this point for the current government to continue so why not start it and get it going?

Totally refute that one! East Coasters known for their brusque cheeriness. West Coasters more dour, probably because of the dreich weather they have to endure!
Have you ever been to the west coast, more specifically the Southern area of BC? The weather here is pretty much some of the best you will find in Canada, winters fairly mild, summers warm but not too warm and generally the high humidity which makes even the warmest of day's bearable.

Winter can be rainy, but sure beats dealing with -20 on a regular basis.

Canada is a big place, every region and even places within the same region vary and no province is completely the same, hard to compare Canada as a whole when you have not been here long, nor from the sounds of it even lived in another province.

Healthcare can and does vary between provinces as well, the basics are the same but some provinces offer better extra's like prescription drug coverage plans.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 3rd 2015 at 2:03 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I spent a week in Slough a few years ago. I have to say the entire UK was rubbish based on that visit and I couldn't wait to get back to Canada.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:21 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fellow British Ex-Pats in Canada. I am a new poster to the Canada Forum, although I have been following it for over a year. The reason why I am posting is that I came to Canada last October 2014 because my partner was offered a job in the University sector. We live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After a very hard winter, during which my partner fractured his wrist, we have decided to return to the UK. My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's. I've read a lot of posts concerned about space, quality of life etc. I am not convinced about this - there are lots of places in the UK which feel off the beaten track, but which still are connected - which is more than I feel in Canada. I have met lots of very nice people, and hope I can return their hospitality in the UK, but to be blunt, I hate it here.
What a weird post. Unless this is purely a troll post I don't really see the point of your tirade against Canada. As others have already said, the bit of the country you've found yourself in for the last few months is hardly representative of the whole place. If it doesn't suit you the fine, go back to the UK, but I don't really understand what your point is. For many of us Canada works just fine. If you really don't like it then "goodbye".
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:38 am
Just Joined

celtic uk canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Every country has it's downside, so why not write about it.

And there are many things in the UK which are backwards as well.

However, a comparison of Cape Breton with the whole of the UK is really a difficult thing to do, if not impossible.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:47 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celtic uk canadian

However, a comparison of Cape Breton with the whole of the UK is really a difficult thing to do, if not impossible.
Lets be fair if she'd posted Cape Breton is sh1t, then we'd all agree

She generalized and some are objecting

people do this here all the time, they often say the Uk is sh!t but then just refer to the particular town they came from ?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But it says all those things in the Daily Mail. I hardly think a reputable newspaper would tell an untruth. I grew up in the East Midlands by the way. Rained every day and then some.
Anybody that considers the Daily Mail a reputable newspaper needs a reality check - it's a bit of a laughing stock in the UK and is well known for sensationalising stories with any negative spin they can find. Think the National Enquirer in newspaper form!

Incidentally, here in Berkshire we've had 4 days of rain in the past 6 weeks. We're currently building a patio, driveway and doing lots of excavation works, so I've been keeping a close eye on the weather and know exactly how many days the builders have been rained off! My grass is also now completely brown. We are in one of the driest parts of the UK though.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Anybody that considers the Daily Mail a reputable newspaper needs a reality check - it's a bit of a laughing stock in the UK and is well known for sensationalising stories with any negative spin they can find. Think the National Enquirer in newspaper form!

Top comparison!

Even the on-line version resembles Sunday Sport (or whatever it is) with some of the photos on the right of the page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.