Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, I have to be totally honest here

OK, I have to be totally honest here

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK, I have to be totally honest here

Hello Fellow British Ex-Pats in Canada. I am a new poster to the Canada Forum, although I have been following it for over a year. The reason why I am posting is that I came to Canada last October 2014 because my partner was offered a job in the University sector. We live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After a very hard winter, during which my partner fractured his wrist, we have decided to return to the UK. My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's. I've read a lot of posts concerned about space, quality of life etc. I am not convinced about this - there are lots of places in the UK which feel off the beaten track, but which still are connected - which is more than I feel in Canada. I have met lots of very nice people, and hope I can return their hospitality in the UK, but to be blunt, I hate it here.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:41 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, I have to be totally honest here

Originally Posted by Mrs Dava
My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's.
So you are basing your opinion of all of Canada based on your experience in Cape Breton?

Shakes head and wanders off muttering incoherently.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Dava has a reputation beyond repute

So, what do you expect? Canada is a vast area, but if you only get immigration on Provincial Nomination, what can we expect?!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's.
How do you mean, attitude? Bureaucracy? Set in ways?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:07 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

If you have given it a go in an area and it's not for you, you don't have to stay there. I too wouldn't choose to live in Cape Breton.
It's not what all of Canada is like at all. It's not even like the rest of Nova Scotia.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:12 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

"My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's"

I grew up in the UK in the 70's so sounds good to me. Or did you mean it in a bad way?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

It's probably the Scottish/Irish Heritage approximation of Norfolk! Coming from the East of Scotland, it is totally alien to me, which was surprising. We don't seem to have a choice here - my partner has handed in his notice and his NSP nomination revoked, although we are well underway with PR checks etc. TBH, If I had wanted to live in scrubby woodland, I would have chosen the West of Scotland, not here!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Re 1970's - I have horrible memories of that era! Don't want to go back, so surprised that a so-called 'Conservative' government would be in such a position!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Anyway, would be interested what is so great about Canada compared to the UK, excluding the usual space, safety considerations.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:37 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, would be interested what is so great about Canada compared to the UK, excluding the usual space, safety considerations.
You'll find out when you get there. Health service on the verge of collapse; police service not fit for purpose; migrants swarming in without control; rain every day; loss of British identity; pensioners living in poverty; yob culture; etc...
We did think at one point of returning to the UK but think we'd be better off staying here.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone to their own. It is what you make of it, suits some not others. I have fond memories of the 70s, alas Canada is nothing like Britain in the 70s in my experiences.

Is there anything great about one over the other? Rather subjective. Each offer different lifestyles. Canada suits us better than the UK, I am connected as I want to be.

It takes a lot more than a few months to settle in and feel settled. Several years, many report 2-3 years.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I don't think so! I have been out of the UK for less than a year, these factors were always high on the list (and I also worked in the NHS for 23 years), but to be honest police service - better configurated, compared to here where you don 't see a patrol car from day to day; health service - we only pay for prescription fees (unless exempt), unlike Here, where you have to pay for the drugs, unless you have some kind of insurance plan in place; rain every day - not likely; don't think you have ever lived in the East Midlands?; migrants - not really an issue, more a pan-European issue - and your comment here does smack of some kind of xenophobia. I think I am better off in the UK, especially as the Canadian Federal Government has now announced 11 weeks of political purdah!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:45 pm
Peter Darwin

I don't think so! I have been out of the UK for less than a year, these factors were always high on the list (and I also worked in the NHS for 23 years), but to be honest police service - better configurated, compared to here where you don 't see a patrol car from day to day; health service - we only pay for prescription fees (unless exempt), unlike Here, where you have to pay for the drugs, unless you have some kind of insurance plan in place; rain every day - not likely; don't think you have ever lived in the East Midlands?; migrants - not really an issue, more a pan-European issue - and your comment here does smack of some kind of xenophobia. I think I am better off in the UK, especially as the Canadian Federal Government has now announced 11 weeks of political purdah!
But it says all those things in the Daily Mail. I hardly think a reputable newspaper would tell an untruth. I grew up in the East Midlands by the way. Rained every day and then some.
So why didn't you try another bit of canada first? Perhaps city life would suit you better? Doesn't have to be big city. Ottawa has a good feeling to it (though less exciting than some places).
Where in the UK will you head to - East Midlands again?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fellow British Ex-Pats in Canada. I am a new poster to the Canada Forum, although I have been following it for over a year. The reason why I am posting is that I came to Canada last October 2014 because my partner was offered a job in the University sector. We live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After a very hard winter, during which my partner fractured his wrist, we have decided to return to the UK. My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's. I've read a lot of posts concerned about space, quality of life etc. I am not convinced about this - there are lots of places in the UK which feel off the beaten track, but which still are connected - which is more than I feel in Canada. I have met lots of very nice people, and hope I can return their hospitality in the UK, but to be blunt, I hate it here.
Not sure what is the purpose of your thread. You seem to have made your mind up to leave Canada, or are you looking for inspiration to stay, put others off of coming to Canada or whine for the sake of whining?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Dour east coast mentality...maybe you should move to the West of Scotland, might give you a better outlook on life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.