Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

Originally Posted by peterb
we have chosen Golden in B.C. to live.
What are you going to do for a living?
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

Buy a house, build a couple of cabins and rent them out to holiday makers. Live off the income, and the interest on our savings. Other than that, stack shelves and sweep floors if I have to.

To teach skiing would be nicer though.......................

Cheers

Peterb
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

That is the great misconception here though isnt it? I dont accept that at all. Finding a job and a life outside the major cities is not at all unlikely for most immigrants. I know many immigrants from all around the globe who are living and working in this area. If there were no immigrants here there would be no need for services like Quinte Immigration Service or the school board LINC funded ESL programs.

No one has to go to Toronto or Vancouver or Calgary, unless its for something specific like IT work or corporate accounting which tends to center on the big cities. For regular jobs and a regular life small town canada is as good as any other place for opportunities.
Even though I have not had experience of it I have done research and many immigrants of all nationalities make not only major cities but also minor cities and towns/rural areas their initial destinations. I would think that they like us do research and try and pick the destination that best suits their circumstances and expectations. Family orientated peoples may well want smaller communities to integrate with. I guess they want to avoid crime as most people do. All cities are commercial hives and attract the types that prey on those seeking the grubbier side of what some think of as life. Drugs, prostitution, gang warfare just for fun.

Cities in my experience tend to attract a certain type who will tollerate or welcome certain social tendencies. Rural areas are for those that prefer a different type of life.

One thing. Is there no-go areas for the police in Canada. Although no one admits it there are plenty of them in the UK.

May I ask UKMIke if you are on a PR Visa, a Citizen or on a work Visa? I assume you are not Canadian as the UK bit....

Just curious.

PS. My experience of city life. I have worked in London for over 25 years. I have lived in squats in Brixton and Wandsworth in the early days and seen from lying in the street running battles between gangs with the police deliberatly avoiding the street camped out at either end. No I was not invloved. Just what you might call a mid 70's/early 80's hippy type. City life can be an extreme experience. I have also lived the high life in swanky hotels at £200 per night so it gives you a view on life.

(Just a bit pissed off)

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Jan 26th 2005 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
May I ask UKMIke if you are on a PR Visa, a Citizen or on a work Visa? I assume you are not Canadian as the UK bit....

Just curious.

Second time here on a work visa... married to a Canadian
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:33 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goldenbritishcolumbia.com/

The forestry industry is major employer
"Since it provides 62 percent of the area's earned income and 70 percent of its gross income, forestry is clearly Golden's primary industry."

Which isn't all chop choping. there tree planting ( http://www.replant.ca/jobs.html ), tree, bird, silvaculture surveying, trucking, and lots of other jobs some are seasonal and some aren't but at the end of the day if they are happy and fed who cares about the job title.

Good Luck to you PeterB
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, peterb!
well, all i can say is that of my many years spent in various parts of london (including a spell in west ealing, which was really nice), we have fared extremely well in streatham, even if it is next to brixton! and as for baghdad or the bronx--come on, its no where like that in london! if you will walk around in the middle of the night in seedy places, of course you will invite hassle, even in canada. you know, its the same for all major cities in the world--there will be crime in cities. and if you dont know, let me tell you that BC also has its fair share of crime, and big crime too. there is a major violent crime in vancouver, linked to drug cartels and prostitution, just like in brixton, and from what i hear, the police is having major problems in controlling it there. i have been to BC and seen it first hand! no, having been in canada and seen, felt and experienced it, it doesnt, and probably never will suit us, so thats why we are heading back! like someone in the "moving back to the uk" forum said, "sod everything else, i want to be home in england..."!!

Originally Posted by peterb
Crime Survey figures came out today in the UK. Guess what? all violent crime is up. Only Burglary and car crime show any sign of slowing.

Furthermore if you think Brixton & Streatham are good places to go, good luck to you. Rather you than me. I do not intend moving to the Bronx, it seems our friends who want to return to the Uk will be just about doing that. Maybe they want to try Beirut or Baghdad first!

It was this that I was commenting on. I live in Hampshire and our crime levels are tolerable, but these guys wanted to return to Streatham. When we go to Canada, we have chosen Golden in B.C. to live. The crime figures there are fine, and we checked that on the internet by viewing the local authority website.

It seems to me if you do a bit of research before you go, then you cut down your chances of getting it wrong.

All the best

Peterb.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:58 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

It is great to here of all the different perspectives people have on life and what they hope for their futures.
Good luck to you Peterb and you Julius.
Two souls in this melting pot of life!
Mrs Crispie was brought up in Bethnal Green two streets away from the Cray twins when gangs of bikers rulled the streets. She was born there and so had no choice but to cope thae best a kid could.
The wonderful thing is that we all can choose our futures and try out different lifestyles. We all want different stuff in persuit of happiness.
If Canada dosen't work for us then we won't go to our graves wishing we had given it a go!
Incedently Mrs C knows people in Bethnal Green that are very happy
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crispie
It is great to here of all the different perspectives people have on life and what they hope for their futures.
Good luck to you Peterb and you Julius.
Two souls in this melting pot of life!
Mrs Crispie was brought up in Bethnal Green two streets away from the Cray twins when gangs of bikers rulled the streets. She was born there and so had no choice but to cope thae best a kid could.
The wonderful thing is that we all can choose our futures and try out different lifestyles. We all want different stuff in persuit of happiness.
If Canada dosen't work for us then we won't go to our graves wishing we had given it a go!
Incedently Mrs C knows people in Bethnal Green that are very happy

Bethnal Green! it's the new Islington! Once Blair made Islington trendy, the Bethnal Green's of this world followed on the coat tails. The Krays would get eat for a power breakfast by the yuppies nowadays!!

Goodluck to Julius and you as well.

Peterb