Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:38 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Julius Smith - How's things?

Originally Posted by julius smith
just a few days ago we had the thing called "freezing rain" which i thought was like sleet back home, but NO!!
when i went out to the car to pop out for some milk (something you could just do by walking to the corner shop in the uk!), i was standing still on the driveway, when i suddenly started sliding down, all the way to the bottom of our garage drive!! and when i got to the car, found it covered in 1/4 inch thick ice, so thick that the wipers were absolutely jampacked in ice, and no amount of scraping with those huge plastic spades they use here, would even dent the ice! in the end, i had to leave the engine and heater running for around 15 mins till the ice melted and i could drive off VERY slowly!! we will never complain about the cold in england again! :scared:
LOL!! Julius the same with me! All the school buses were not running and I thought huh! a bit of sleet and the kids don't go to school ..... again! I took my daughter as usual to school and the roads were fine, in the afternoon I went out to start the truck 15 mins before leaving as per usual and you are absolutely right!!! Hard shhet of solid ice on the windscreen and my scrapers were being laughed at by it! Thankfully the truck has a superb heater!!

Well, I guess no amount of persuading is going to change your mind , so I am sure that we all send our very best wishes to you and your family and hope that you settle back into your old life. Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:31 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

OK, for the benefit of those in the UK (or elsewhere) DONT DRIVE TO THE CORNER SHOP IN FREEZING RAIN. Its realy not worth the risk, basically, if you dont have to go...really have to go... somewhere, stay put. Insurance is expensive enough without claiming on it in your first year.

Anyway, at least you guys know why we have industrial strength ice scrapers and "winter wipers" here now. It sure is pretty though when it sticks to the trees...and everything else!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:53 am
Just Joined

darwinite is an unknown quantity at this point

Can somebody explain what it is with the 5 month culture shock-stick it out thing?

I would say that after 5 months reality kicks in. The first few months everything is exciting and new, you are too busy getting a house, a car, insurance, a job etc to even be thinking about whether you like it or not. After a few months you get to know the country, the good bits and the bad bits. After 5 months it is all sinking in.

After 5 months you either think: not that great after all, what a shame but I stick it out or you think: not that great, I am really unhappy and don't want to be here another day. If that is the case, then move back!!! The more time you waste, the more difficult it will be to settle back in the UK. Because while you are in Canada trying to stick it out: things at home change, with every passing day in Canada the chances that you will still feel at home in the UK vanish.

I have seen many people who tried to stick it out (thinking, the longer I torture myself with homesickness the more likely I will start loving the country ) just to return to Europe after a couple of years. But by then it seemed to late. Because then they were neither "at home" in the Uk anymore nor in their chosen country for immigration. They felt homeless where ever they were and that is the worst possible feeling the world.

Write a list with pro and cons and then decide. Keep the list for those times, when you doubt your decision.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Who ever feels what was listed up there is depressed. Immigrant depression is something almost every immigrant experiences sooner or later. It is when you have to make a decision on whether you should go back or stay.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darwinite
Can somebody explain what it is with the 5 month culture shock-stick it out thing?

The more time you waste, the more difficult it will be to settle back in the UK. Because while you are in Canada trying to stick it out: things at home change, with every passing day in Canada the chances that you will still feel at home in the UK vanish.

Do these changes also include all of those things that you miss? This is where sentimentality replaces reality.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:31 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by darwinite
Who ever feels what was listed up there is depressed. Immigrant depression is something almost every immigrant experiences sooner or later. It is when you have to make a decision on whether you should go back or stay.
I disagree. What you are describing is not depression, it is Culture shock and no major decisions should be taken while you are going through it. If you still hate Canada at the 7 or 8 month period then moving back to where you come from is what you must do.........but you should not move before this period of time elapses as you may not be seeing this clearly.

Have you ever lived overseas? Everyone gets culture shock and it always hits at the same time for everyone, at about the 4 month period and it lasts for up to 2 months.

We are not telling him to stay - he will do what he wants at the end of the day - all we are trying to do is help him through Culture Shock and understand that this is what he is going through, not some insidious depression.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:31 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Have you ever lived overseas? Everyone gets culture shock and it always hits at the same time for everyone, at about the 4 month period and it lasts for up to 2 months.
This why I posted up my earlier question on the culture shock issue... I don't think everybody does get it.....

I never had it my first two years here.. or ever had In the last year..
or even had anything remotely close...?
Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:44 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by MikeUK
This why I posted up my earlier question on the culture shock issue... I don't think everybody does get it.....

I never had it my first two years here.. or ever had In the last year..
or even had anything remotely close...?
But ... did you arrive planning to make Canada your new home?

Old Jan 15th 2005, 4:53 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by souls canuck
and I will say the west is notorious for working to live.. and the east lives to work.. stupid really!!
Hell yeah!!! If you easterners want to experience a real party atmosphere, come to Calgary during the Stampede and let your hair down.

We had a guy come from Ontario to work part of his job in Calgary ... when he arrived he was an uptight tie & suit wearer who was going to show us rednecks how to do business ... a couple months of exposure to Calgary during the playoffs and he was wearing a Flames hockey jersey to the office in Mississauga.

Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:06 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
But ... did you arrive planning to make Canada your new home?
Good point! Perhaps the reasons why you leave the UK has a bearing too? I left the UK not "looking" for something that I didn't have in the UK. I only moved here for more land. If one is running away from something or has expectations which are too high then perhaps they are the ones in for a tumble when the going gets tough?

I very much doubt whether I will get it this time around as this is definitely where I want to be - Canada is more a home to me than the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 5:13 pm
Glaswegian

I very much doubt whether I will get it this time around as this is definitely where I want to be - Canada is more a home to me than the UK.
Same here when I landed in 2001 ... but I still hit the wall hard when it came to culture shock & homesickness last year ... 2004 was when I realised that I was never going back to the UK and that Calgary was going to be home from now on.

Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

lee2 is on a distinguished road

Streatham's a great area. If your kids are lucky enough to go back to good schools then you are indeed lucky in London. I still think that had you moved into Toronto instead of Mississauga than at least you would have been comparing like with like - you might as well moved to Milton Keynes.

But I think if you all feel the same way, you've made the right decision. The very best of luck to you.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:28 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

After reading the heartache and passion in this thread it made me realise that this is the core issue for most of us. I'm sure the hopes and fears here have all been discussed with our partners or atleast in our heads! Is this (or was this) humungous move the right thing? Sleepless nights and panadol all round eh!
The answer just dosen't seem to arrive once you've made the move because we will never know what life would be like if we stayed!
I would realy like to thank Julius for starting the ball rolling and I'm sure many have benefitted from the chance to stop and analyse our own situations. Some of us will feel threatened that things don't always work out and others will feel more determined to get it right and make it work.
If I'm honest I am scared silly that my family will not benefit from our move in the long term. I have 4 kids all in the tender 11-17 bracket and so Julius' situation is somewhat poignant! Also when I was 16 I was moved across England and I found it very difficult. Just when I was struggling with who I was I didn't know where I was!! However I am so aware of this that I will sacrifice my own career if necessay to ease the kids transition. Somebody mentioned that it could be easier to move with a family (a ready made support team) well it will depend on the family. We are very aware of each others needs and will fight for each others welfare.
Life chucks muck at us wherever we live and it's the people around us that see us through. Homesickness is one kind of muck and we need folks on our side when it comes.
There have been loads of suggestions here and networking comes up time and again. Making friends is another way of looking at it but whatever it is it's going to take loads of effort.
Life chucks loads of good stuff our way too! My best stuff is coming with me so I'm confident!
Mr Crispie signing off in reflective mood
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I have lived overseas : ).

I started off in Kenya: I did get a culture shock, of course. After the very first day I had a culture shock. Did not take me 5 months to realize everything is different . I still loved it, but felt that I only wanted to live there temporarily. I then worked in the States and never did experience the culture shock. Once again though it was only ever meants to be temporarily. I spend almost 2 years in CAnada and I loved it from day one. After a few months I noticed the negative things, but I still loved the country and would have never left had my visa not expired.

I then moved to Australia and am now a permanent resident here. I am here because of my partner. It was never my number one choice for living. I have been in culture shock eversince I arrived I think and after 3 years here I still feel like I felt after 2 weeks here. I hope to get out of here as soon as possible as I cannot relate to this BBQ mentality here at all.

So, to answer your question. I think I have been through it all, the feeling of only wanting to stay temporarily, the feeling of loving it despite culture shock, the feeling of a never-ending culture shock. I think that culture shock can be experienced in different ways: either it is a just a feeling of being a little miserable, a wake-up call and reminder that your new home is not paradise either or it is much more than that: a pain in your stomach every morning you wake up, a sense of: I don't belong here, homesickness that grows every day, slipping into depression, getting traumatized.

I think you know the difference when you have culture shock. You know if it can pass or not. If you think it is more than you can handle: move back. Culture shock does not necessarily suddenly disappear after the 6months mark.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

kippa is on a distinguished road

Horses are pretty cheap over here. You can get a decent registered Quarter Horse for about $6,000 but if you are prepared to go for a younger one you can pick it up for as little as $3,000.

There are lots of farriers - their skills? depends on the farrier. It is about $30 so much cheaper than in the UK.

Feed - bloody nightmare! They only have about 15 types and none of them are anything like what we feed in the UK! I have tried a number of bags - hit and miss really!

Hay - very cheap! I have just had a load delivered and paid $2.25 a bale.

I will be happy to chat to you about this and other things if you want to send me a PM or email.
I tried to send you an e mail, but i don't think it went. If it did you will get 3 or 4 the same I could't work out how to send it, not terribly bright in the computer department!. Please let me know if you got it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.