Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK to bring Staffordshire Bull Terriers to Canada?

OK to bring Staffordshire Bull Terriers to Canada?

Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK to bring Staffordshire Bull Terriers to Canada?

Hello, just a quick question..my wife and I are moving to Vancouver in November. We have 2 dogs we want to bring with us. One of these dogs is a 5 year old female Staffie. This dog has a very kind temperment and is not aggressive in any way. However, we are aware of the stereotypes of these dogs created by the stereotypical Staffie owners in the UK, of which we are not. I know that Canada is very strict about Pitbulls, but is it the same with Staffies? If anyone has any info, please feel free to add input. Thank you!
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OK to bring Staffordshire Bull Terriers to Canada?

I believe Staffy's are illegal in Canada as well as Pitbulls and I know Air Transat will not transport them. They are just given a bad image by owners who do not know how to handle them.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Javarne
I believe Staffy's are illegal in Canada as well as Pitbulls and I know Air Transat will not transport them. They are just given a bad image by owners who do not know how to handle them.
I think the legislation is provincial. When pit bulls and the like were banned in Ontario, owners had the option to move them to BC. Since then I've pictured BC as being inhabited by homeless people drawn to the warmth and packs of marauding dogs kicked out of other provinces. I imagine one can still take any sort of dog to BC and can probably feed it a diet of bums.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all

sure I read peoplen advertising APBT's for sale in NS... don't see why you would'nt be allowed to take your Staff, brilliant dogs.. maybe check with the canadian kennel club..

Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:03 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Google is very definitely your friend .....

http://www.staffordcanada.com/

These look like the folks that would know.

Good luck! J
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they're ok in BC. My pug has a couple of them as playmates but just be prepared to have people acting negatively around you when you're with them. They're great dogs but most people it seems from my limited experience don't think so. The gossip in the dog park i find can be quite comical.

This is in Vancouver
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yes they're ok in BC. My pug has a couple of them as playmates but just be prepared to have people acting negatively around you when you're with them. They're great dogs but most people it seems from my limited experience don't think so. The gossip in the dog park i find can be quite comical.

This is in Vancouver
Is that where you pick up the "caravans for yer ma" ? Couldn't resist.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:00 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Is that where you pick up the "caravans for yer ma" ? Couldn't resist.
But i don't fly Air Transat
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the advice, we'll be moving to BC or possibly Alberta, and I've found out through some searching thanks to the links on here that Staffies are ok in those provinces, so that's fine..no Staffies allowed in Ontario or the city of Winnipeg though! Does anyone recommend a Pet Travel Service from the UK, specifically Scotland?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryandd
Thanks everyone for the advice, we'll be moving to BC or possibly Alberta, and I've found out through some searching thanks to the links on here that Staffies are ok in those provinces, so that's fine..no Staffies allowed in Ontario or the city of Winnipeg though! Does anyone recommend a Pet Travel Service from the UK, specifically Scotland?
Ladyhaye although, depending on your time of year of travel and the weight of the dog, it may be cheaper to DIY
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2008 we bought our staffie with no problems and used airpet in London
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But i don't fly Air Transat
Touché
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Mavricksteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if you had any luck getting your staff to bc. I have 2 staffs that I wish to take to Canada. I know air Canada won't transport them to any province nor air transat.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:49 pm
Beep

I found out recently that Bull Terriers are banned in certain areas of BC, such as New Westminster, Coquitlam, Nanaimo, Nelson, and Prince George.

I see they're also banned in Ontario and other areas within various provinces.

I think Air Canada would transport them to BC but you'd need to contact them to confirm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our dog into Calgary in March on Air Canada from Heathrow, must point out he isnt staffordshire. I seem to remember from searching the Air Canada website they wouldnt transport staffordshire bull terriers into Calgary but you should check it out for yourself.
As far as the pet carrier companies, I wouldnt use them unless you living really far from the aiport (they wanted £1000!!! to do the job). We've just booked him on ourself and then brought him to the check-in desk where they wheeled him off in his air kennel and then picked him up on the other side. He looked very happy. Very impressed with Air Canada, but that is from my personal experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.