Reload this Page >

Oil Heat Technician Help Please

Oil Heat Technician Help Please

Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

jonapebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Heat Technician Help Please

Hi all

We are currently planning the emigration process for a move to Nova Scotia within the next year or so.

I myself am a qualified c&g plumber, electrician and also a long time served oftec oil heating technician, which is my current full time employment.

I plan on visiting the province this April for 2 weeks with the hope of sitting the Red Seal exam for oil heat tech to speed things up with the application.

The help and info I would like is around the red seal exam. What's it like, is there a high fail rate and I really need to know what study material I need to read beforehand to feel comfortable to sit the exam.

Also, what are the job opportunities for journeyman oil techs, the current rate of pay and any other relevant points.

I do plan on getting qualified in plumbing too but one step at a time.

I'd also like to know the best places in Nova Scotia to live.

We have plenty of appointments while there but really it's the exam that I'm focussing on right now. I have been doing relentless hours of research to get up to speed with the terminology but hopefully I can find an oil tech on here to give a little guidance.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:03 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil Heat Technician Help Please

Originally Posted by jonapebs
Hi all

We are currently planning the emigration process for a move to Nova Scotia within the next year or so.

I myself am a qualified c&g plumber, electrician and also a long time served oftec oil heating technician, which is my current full time employment.

I plan on visiting the province this April for 2 weeks with the hope of sitting the Red Seal exam for oil heat tech to speed things up with the application.

The help and info I would like is around the red seal exam. What's it like, is there a high fail rate and I really need to know what study material I need to read beforehand to feel comfortable to sit the exam.

Also, what are the job opportunities for journeyman oil techs, the current rate of pay and any other relevant points.

I do plan on getting qualified in plumbing too but one step at a time.

I'd also like to know the best places in Nova Scotia to live.

We have plenty of appointments while there but really it's the exam that I'm focussing on right now. I have been doing relentless hours of research to get up to speed with the terminology but hopefully I can find an oil tech on here to give a little guidance.

Thanks in advance
There's no Red Seal for oil technician. Each province has its own exams and certification. Have a search on here as there was a thread a while ago listing the various licensing bodies for the provinces.

My husband took the Ontario exams for gas and oil. He went to college full time to study for them, he'd done gas before but not oil. Pass rate was around 90% apparently those who challenge the exam without doing a course rarely pass.

You'd be better off taking the plumbers exam. No need to look at a Red Seal if you are just going to work in one Province.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Oh.....maybe I've been misinformed by Canadian immigration and 5 Nova Scotia colleges regarding sitting the red seal oil heat system tech exam available since 2013!!

It's not required in every province, Ontario as an example, but certainly required to work in others hence why I require some info on it.

But thanks for your reply

Regards
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've no idea about the provincial certification ('Red Seal') side of things, hopefully Aviator will see your thread and respond in a bit.

But in answer to your question about job opportunities etc, I think you might struggling just going on the fact that there are currently only 9 jobs across the whole of Canada on offer on the Job Bank website, and none of those are in NS.

Do you need a job offer to get a visa or do you score enough without one? You might find it easier to find work if you're work authorised and don't require sponsorship, if you do need a job offer and LMIA to get a visa then it could be tricky based on the lack of job ads.

Salary wise, it looks like $21 per hour (so approx £10ph) is the median rate in NS.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

info below on this trade in Nova Scotia

Oil Heat System Technician Trade Regulations - Apprenticeship and Trades Qualifications Act (Nova Scotia)

http://www.red-seal.ca/trades/163_oi....1d.2-eng.html
Trades | Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency

Red Seal Sample Examination Questions / Red Seal

http://www.hvaccertificationpractice...ractice-tests/

Places to be for Jobs

Big city, such as Halifax

Jobs

http://www.wowjobs.ca/jobs-heating+technician-jobs

http://jobs.trovit.ca/oil-burner-technician-jobs

Last edited by not2old; Feb 11th 2016 at 6:43 pm. Reason: links added
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the replays. I have read through all these web pages and sites and am fully up to speed with it all.

I was more hoping to get someone's personal experiences with sitting the exam, trawling for a job and general bits and pieces surrounding the trade.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the replays. I have read through all these web pages and sites and am fully up to speed with it all.

I was more hoping to get someone's personal experiences with sitting the exam, trawling for a job and general bits and pieces surrounding the trade.
Not sure you'll find anybody that's sat the same exam tbh, although you can search for other 'Red Seal' posts from other trades. Aviator is our pro on provincial certification, so it's worth hunting out his posts.

And you did ask about jobs, salary, etc too, hence the links we've given you. As I mentioned, a lot of that side of things will depend on your visa status and whether or not you'll be work authorised.

HTH a bit at least.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:24 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil Heat Technician Help Pleas

Oh.....maybe I've been misinformed by Canadian immigration and 5 Nova Scotia colleges regarding sitting the red seal oil heat system tech exam available since 2013!!

It's not required in every province, Ontario as an example, but certainly required to work in others hence why I require some info on it.

But thanks for your reply

Regards
You know I spent time replying to your post, trying to help you so why the snotty reply?

Last edited by bats; Feb 12th 2016 at 12:29 am.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You know I spent time replying to your post, trying to help you so why the snotty reply?
I wondered that too. The OP doesn't seem too keen to discuss the fundamental of acquiring a visa to work here in the first place. You can pass all the exams in the world, but if you aren't allowed to work it's rather academic.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:03 am
Just Joined

crazycooter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i also have to do a red seal exam for my trade im a vehicle mechanic also going to NS what i done was search the web for practice tests i found a few they seem to be multiple choice for my trade well what i found was but to be honest im going as my wife as lead with her trade and doing the red seal when im there hope any of this helps and good luck
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Immigration does not advise on trade qualifications. Cannot speak for the colleges you have spoken to as to the accuracy of what they told you. It is advisable to talk to the Trades Training Authority in a province rather than individual colleges. The training authority will have the most up to date information, as it it they who administer it.

It seems however from your posts you already have all the information you need.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

R_AWhite is an unknown quantity at this point

What are u looking for?
you can challenge the red seal exam, but you will need a ton of books to study first. Have you make contact with anybody here? I did the oil heat technician exam but that was provincial only and was a pilot scheme so don't know if still available, also sat the gas tech exam, again a lot of study required and a lot of books, also have to prove you time in each sector.
The job is different here, lots of different controls etc, most of it is 20 years behind, Riello 40 burners are the latest technology. Are u mostly domestic, if so not a lot of work at moment and it minus 5 outside. Any other questions I should be able to help.
at moment a lot of plumbers are coming back from Alberta so not many jobs in plumbing here either.
Its tough going so you really want to live here to make it worth will, and u won't get the respect that u do in the UK. and u will be working in a lot of shitty basements.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

If it came across as snotty then I apologise. I was being a touch sarcastic. Thanks everyone else who has replied too. Been doing Relentless homework which gives me the same answers as some of you have mentioned regarding job opportunities etc. Also having contacts in Canada giving us the heads up isn't very positive. We do visit NS and Ontario on a scouting mission in 3 weeks time, we don't hold out much hope of success. But if fate is on our side, it'll be worth the trip. Thanks again and if there's any questions I have i'll be back. Regards everyone xx

Last edited by jonapebs; Mar 12th 2016 at 6:27 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Plastic Plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mate
A couple of things come to mind. I could not take my red seal exam until I obtained my SIN card. You may find the oil supply company's employ there own or sub contract techs.
Good luck.