Wikiposts

OHIP coverage

Old Oct 11th 2004, 1:47 am
Just Joined

jonny_191919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OHIP coverage

I just landed a few days ago and want to apply for OHIP but I have a few questions. I know usually you have to be resident in Ontario 3 months before you get coverage but my question is, I was on a student visa for over a year in Canada while my pr was being processed, and when I landed I just went to the nearest border and landed without even leaving Canada, considering I was resident for over a year does anyone know if I won’t have to wait 3 months before I get coverage?

Thanks for any advice given.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: OHIP coverage

Originally Posted by jonny_191919
I just landed a few days ago and want to apply for OHIP but I have a few questions. I know usually you have to be resident in Ontario 3 months before you get coverage but my question is, I was on a student visa for over a year in Canada while my pr was being processed, and when I landed I just went to the nearest border and landed without even leaving Canada, considering I was resident for over a year does anyone know if I won’t have to wait 3 months before I get coverage?

You could try asking but it is 3 months from the date you become PR rather than 3 months from the day you apply for OHIP, so to get the date they usually look at the landing papers in your passport and set the date as 3 months after the date in the passport.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonny_191919

I was in a similar situation. To be honest I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all and just waited for the three months after my landing date.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you book your OHIP appointement before your 3 months run out. My 90 days runs out the last week of October. When I phoned up 3-4 weeks ago the first date available for me to go in and see them was November 1st. This may be because I'm outside of Toronto though and the smaller towns only do 1 day a month or something like that.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 6:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
Make sure you book your OHIP appointement before your 3 months run out. My 90 days runs out the last week of October. When I phoned up 3-4 weeks ago the first date available for me to go in and see them was November 1st. This may be because I'm outside of Toronto though and the smaller towns only do 1 day a month or something like that.
We get the same appointment system in Belleville/Trenton, but you can always jump in the car and go to the regional office (Kingston in our case) and do it "while you wait", which is what i did.