Wikiposts

OHIP cards

Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

juels275 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OHIP cards

hi

I was wondering if anyone has health insurance ie. Blue Cross as well as the OHIP card. From what I've read, it seems to be like the UK private medical insurance - so is it worth $100 a month?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:37 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OHIP cards

Originally Posted by juels275
hi

I was wondering if anyone has health insurance ie. Blue Cross as well as the OHIP card. From what I've read, it seems to be like the UK private medical insurance - so is it worth $100 a month?
It's not the same as private insurance more top up insurance to pay for things that OHIP doesn't, such as prescriptions, out patient physio, dental. Many people get this as part of their benefits package at work. Only you can decide how much you are likely to use the extra.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:41 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OHIP cards

Originally Posted by juels275
hi

Many jobs come with supplemental health insurance (aka "benefits"). Its not really the same as UK private as it does not enable you to bypass wait times and get private treatment instead, that is basically illegal in Canada.

What its gets you (depending on plan) is semi private or private room rather than ward accommodation, coverage for prescription drugs, physio, ambulance costs, and many other paramedical services not covered by OHIP, Dental (if included) etc.

See the wiki article for more details.

What may be important to you is to get comprehensive coverage for the 3 month wait before OHIP is available, which will cover doctors visits and hospital treatment which would come out of your own pocket otherwise. Its more than $100 a month though I think. There is a list of providers in the wiki.