Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

Good Evening Folks,

Does anybody on here know anything about the Belleville area in Ontario which is east of Toronto. Judging by Google maps it appears to be close to Quinte West, Prince Edward, Brighton and Coburg etc.

I am looking at a possible job up in that area and it would mean re-locating from South West Ontario. Any thoughts and insights, hints and tips would be warmly welcomed.

Many Thanks

Farmboy
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belleville Ontario and surrounding area

It's on the VIA route from Toronto to Montreal, with 4 or 5 trains in each direction every day, it is outside the GRO network. Last train from Toronto is about 5:30 pm so no good for a night out!

We go through there on the train, at least twice a year, usually in winter. It doesn't seem to get a lot of snow, although they do occasionally get larger amounts ..........December 2010 was one such. It was snowing pretty heavily as we went through Belleville east.

It looks quite a pretty area, but that is all I know
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:38 am
Just Joined

EcoShaun is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not the liveliest place, with a declining downtown, however there is the county just over the bridge, with its vineyards and beaches, and it's under an hours drive to Kingston, where there's more shopping and nightlife on offer.

The eastern suburbs are pleasant enough, as are the waterside parks.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.
I knew it wouldnt take long before the folk on here would chip in with there tit bits of info!!

If successful in the position I would be mobile and cover Renfrew County. Working from home and planning my day.
My other situation is that I have a Wife and family of 3. Two Daughters and a son. They are dancing mad and me and my boy are football nuts (Liverpool FC) to be exact. My wife loves to shop and also likes to get her hair done and all that girly stuff which I dont mind at all. I wish to relocate to an area which would make my commute if thats the right word accessible. Coming from the U.K originally we do not want to move into the sticks but still be near all the services we would have been used to like shopping, good schools and off course access to plenty of football (soccer as it is called over here).

I hope this adds a bit more meat to the bones of my original question.

Thanks in advance

Farmboy.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
If successful in the position I would be mobile and cover Renfrew County. Working from home and planning my day.
Are you sure you have your geography correct to move to Belleville for a job in Renfrew County...those 2 are a long way away from one another.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:47 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.
I knew it wouldnt take long before the folk on here would chip in with there tit bits of info!!

My other situation is that I have a Wife and family of 3. Two Daughters and a son. They are dancing mad and me and my boy are football nuts (Liverpool FC) to be exact. My wife loves to shop and also likes to get her hair done and all that girly stuff which I dont mind at all. I wish to relocate to an area which would make my commute if thats the right word accessible. Coming from the U.K originally we do not want to move into the sticks but still be near all the services we would have been used to like shopping, good schools and off course access to plenty of football (soccer as it is called over here).

I hope this adds a bit more meat to the bones of my original question.

Thanks in advance

Farmboy.
Renfrew county is a fair way away from Belleville and isn't a commutable distance. If you're going to be based near there then you could look at Arnprior, Renfrew, Ottawa even for somewhere to live.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the Advice.
I realize that this is a large geographical area. The position is non office based as mentioned earlier and this would mean travelling the region though expansive via planning to cover it on certain days in the week or weeks in the month whichever would work most effectively.
All I have to do is find a location which fits the job requirements and suits the families needs or as near as I can.
Cake and eating it I think it has been referred to the past LOL!!!

Farmboy
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how much professional soccer you will find anywhere in Canada!!

One team in Montreal, one in Toronto and one in Vancouver is it, I think!

Are you meaning to follow amateur soccer, join clubs, get your son playing ............. or watch it all on TV???
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Scilly,

No I mean to get my boy playing up there. He already plays for two teams down here. His U10 and he plays up a year for the U11's. The season is horribly short over here. April through end of August. At home we were August to May competitive with pre season thrown in. A good indoor facility would be awesome to take account of the winter here in Ontario.
We can watch all we want on TSN etc etc. Getting up at 7.30am to watch the lunchtime kick off is definitely not fun and you really cant have a beer over here at that time. Wouldnt want the neighbours talking!! LOL
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Advice.
I realize that this is a large geographical area. The position is non office based as mentioned earlier and this would mean travelling the region though expansive via planning to cover it on certain days in the week or weeks in the month whichever would work most effectively.
All I have to do is find a location which fits the job requirements and suits the families needs or as near as I can.
Cake and eating it I think it has been referred to the past LOL!!!

Farmboy
I'd suggest Arnprior or Renfrew itself which are small towns, relatively low housing but in 30 minutes from Arnprior you are in the western suburbs of Ottawa and there is soccer available for the kids and you.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Scilly,

No I mean to get my boy playing up there. He already plays for two teams down here. His U10 and he plays up a year for the U11's. The season is horribly short over here. April through end of August. At home we were August to May competitive with pre season thrown in. A good indoor facility would be awesome to take account of the winter here in Ontario.
We can watch all we want on TSN etc etc. Getting up at 7.30am to watch the lunchtime kick off is definitely not fun and you really cant have a beer over here at that time. Wouldnt want the neighbours talking!! LOL
West Ottawa Soccer Club

They have 2 indoor domes for year round play and teams for all ages and just a two minute drive from. Not sure if there are any indoor domes in Arnprior or Renfrew.

Home
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

For the sanity of your family it would make sense to base yourself in south west Ottowa area. There are more house options to rent .....
E.g. https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/18691847/2-SAUBLE-DRIVE-Ottawa-Ontario-K2M2Y3-Bridlewood
Old Oct 11th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

A little further than Arnprior, but still a helluva lot closer than Belleville, you might want to take a look at Almonte (aka Mississippi Mills). Beautiful town with sensible facilities.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
A little further than Arnprior, but still a helluva lot closer than Belleville, you might want to take a look at Almonte (aka Mississippi Mills). Beautiful town with sensible facilities.
Yes another good option. Never heard of a town having 'sensible' facilities. Are there any with 'silly' or even the elusive 'slightly silly' facilities?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 11:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Never heard of a town having 'sensible' facilities. Are there any with 'silly' or even the elusive 'slightly silly' facilities?
Baseball teams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.