Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Offshore Training - Hibernia Rig

Offshore Training - Hibernia Rig

Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Offshore Training - Hibernia Rig

Sup dudes/dudettes?

Is anyone on here an offshore worker, specifically on Hibernia?

My company has a maintenance contract for some equipment on there and I'm being sent on offshore survival training in the next fortnight and wanted to know what to expect.

Where am I likely to be doing the training?

I kind of know what's involved, but from first hand experience, will I have any problems? I'm 26 and in relatively good shape. can swim, lift and climb easily and have no major medical conditions however I was asthmatic as a child.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:16 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Offshore Training - Hibernia Rig

I used to work offshore but it was in the UK. My survival training was in the UK too but it's pretty much the same around the world. You'll probably have a few theory sessions on HSE legislation, lock-out procedures, etc. I would expect that you'd have a helicopter ditching session in the pool where you'll be expected to demonstrate that you can deploy your emergency rebreathing equipment and escape the helicopter. In the UK you do it three times - landing on water, submerging under water, submerging under water with helicopter capsizing. Other pool sessions will probably be on how to erect a liferaft, how to flip it if it capsizes, etc. and how to safely jump from height while wearing a lifejacket and without breaking your neck. We did helicopter winching too, like what position to maintain and how to communicate with the helicopter crew from in the water.

For dry sessions, it was first aid, firefighting with extinguishers and hoses and also escaping from a smoke-filled building. We also did a session in the enclosed motorised lifeboat things and how to strap yourself in properly if it's dropped from a height, like it would be on a rig. It's a puckering experience.

And no, I doubt you'll have issues. The only people I've ever seen have issues are those that couldn't swim. Be prepared to be tired though at the end of each day! I'm in good shape from weightlifting and running and after a full day of physical activities, I was usually zonked for the night by about 6.30pm.

Catherine
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 8:29 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Haggis the company I work for works on Hibernia. It depends on what you are doing, but the general offshore safety rig course training is carried out by a few companies in several locations. It is a one week course, we do it in Halifax, as it's nearer to us, but they also do it in Calgary and Toronto (and probably elsewhere). You do need to be able to swim. I have booked the training for three men recently, one who was as fit as a flea in his 30's, one in his 50's and a bit chunky and a lad in his 20's who I would class as grossly overweight....and they all passed! Very best of luck....take a good jacket...Hibernia gets a bit chilly
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:04 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

One of my B-i-L's is an Ice and Weather observer on the rigs offshore Newfoundland. He's not the slimmest or fittest guy around and he passed his BST so I'm sure you'll be fine. Be prepared for delays in the helicopter ride to and from the rig..... We get a lot of weather in this part of the world :-)
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to bump this...

I'm in St. Johns right now, should have been on Hibernia 2 days ago...flight has been pushed back 4 days already

still sort of worried about the helicopter flight and the lack of communication with the outside world available on the rig

fingers crossed i get called to another job before i have to fly out