Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 3:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Hi

Originally Posted by dishwashing
+1 to Siouxie

Canadians looooveeee their titles and letters. It's bloody ridiculous but hey this is the reality

Good luck with the searches, guys.
Sort of like Brits calling themselves Engineers eh?
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I am not one who believes letters equates to competence tis all.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello Sparrow

I, too, worked in the UK as an office manager and had held executive positions for more than 20 years prior to coming to Canada. I also live in the Hamilton area.

I think you will struggle to gain employment in this field around this area, unless you are prepared to work in Toronto and even then you may find it very difficult. Canadians love diploma's and certification (recent) and without them you will be lucky to even get an interview. The competition for these positions is fierce, every college is churning out newly qualified and certified administrative assistants/officers and whatever experience we had in the UK really counts for nothing. It's like starting from scratch, all over again.

All I can suggest is that you ensure your resume is 'Canadianised' and perhaps register with some temp agencies. Be prepared to go in and do tests for up to 6 hours!

List of employment agencies (placement or staffing agencies) List of Best Employment Agencies in Hamilton ON

PeopleStore - Staffing Solutions Inc
http://ca.livejobs.recruitadvantage....TOKEN=27172473
Search Jobs in Canada, find the perfect job - Hunt Synergie
Find a Job in Canada, Job Board Canada

Provided the OP goes to Toronto, possibly. However, a Canadian woman I know who has all the certification you can imagine and over 20 years experience in similar positions struggled to find a job even there. It took around 9 months before she was employed, despite applying for every job going that she was qualified to do.

You are right christmasoompa, I applied for literally hundreds of jobs in the Hamilton area and secured 2 interviews in total. Prior to coming to Canada I had always been interviewed for any job I applied for and been offered the job, so this was a huge shock.

2 years on I still am not employed in office management / executive PA nor indeed ANY kind of office job and have given up. I now work as a remote freelancer for a UK company.
Hi Siouxie

So sorry it's taken me a while to respond, I was super sick with an aggressive cold. But I'm on the mend

Firstly thank you so much for the information you have provided I feel slightly better about the whole process.

I think you will struggle to gain employment in this field around this area, unless you are prepared to work in Toronto and even then you may find it very difficult. Canadians love diploma's and certification (recent) and without them you will be lucky to even get an interview. The competition for these positions is fierce, every college is churning out newly qualified and certified administrative assistants/officers and whatever experience we had in the UK really counts for nothing. It's like starting from scratch, all over again.
I thought this would be the case but I don't mind the commute. I travel into the city here in the UK. It's a shame to have to start from scratch but necessary it seems. I have prepared myself for this.

All I can suggest is that you ensure your resume is 'Canadianised' and perhaps register with some temp agencies. Be prepared to go in and do tests for up to 6 hours!
I think I have my resume sorted. I have a generic version for posting on jobsites but feel I will need to tweak when applying for specific jobs. Is there a basic guideline just in case I have missed a trick?

Yikes 6 hours tests?! I had no idea this could happen! What kind test have you experienced?

Thanks again for all the information. Although the journey seems daunting its nice to feel prepared.

Sparrow x
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:40 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparrow Clan

I think I have my resume sorted. I have a generic version for posting on jobsites but feel I will need to tweak when applying for specific jobs. Is there a basic guideline just in case I have missed a trick?
This is what I don't get. I totally understand that covering letters need to be specific to the organisation and job you are applying for but I only have one resume for social care jobs and a different resume for bar/server jobs.

Are you saying that you have to keep changing your resume for each job you apply for even if it's within the same sort of area?! (i.e. Office admin/Receptionist, bar server/ barista, outreach youth worker/residential youth worker)?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
This is what I don't get. I totally understand that covering letters need to be specific to the organisation and job you are applying for but I only have one resume for social care jobs and a different resume for bar/server jobs.

Are you saying that you have to keep changing your resume for each job you apply for even if it's within the same sort of area?! (i.e. Office admin/Receptionist, bar server/ barista, outreach youth worker/residential youth worker)?
Hi Beckiwoo,

Changing my resume to mirror a job ad is something I have always done as well as a specific cover letter for each application. I'm not saying drastically change it each time or fake a qualification but just read what they want and tweak your resume so it almost matches the ad. They may look at the your resume and say wow he/she is exactly what we are looking for!

I also find when you are experienced or have a long employment history, your resume might be too long and full of too much information. By tailoring your resume to the ad/job description its helps you include more of what they want and less of what they don't want. Thus increasing your chances.

As I said, it's something I have always done, especially when I'll really what the job! I feel it will help me stand out or get their attention by being exactly what they need!

Sparrow (:

Last edited by Sparrow Clan; Aug 28th 2014 at 6:39 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that a lot of large corporations now use software to winnow out resumes that don't contain 'key' words specific to the job.

You can get an idea of what employers look for by doing a search online for resume Canada, or pay a small fee to a resume writing company (such as this one that also has lots of hints and tips) to Canadianise and target your resume for specific types of job.

Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:35 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Changing my resume to mirror a job ad is something I have always done as well as a specific cover letter for each application. I'm not saying drastically change it each time or fake a qualification but just read what they want and tweak your resume so it almost matches the ad. They may look at the your resume and say wow he/she is exactly what we are looking for!

Sparrow (:
Bear in mind that a lot of large corporations now use software to winnow out resumes that don't contain 'key' words specific to the job.
Thanks I see what you are saying but I've never had to do this in the UK mainly because all the jobs I have gone for want an application form and for you to fill in the specific experience they want by using examples such as a person specification. I find that resumes are too generic and organisations should use these questions to filter out applicants, but obviously this is Canada so things are different.

How I have done this is concentrating on my cover letter and being very specific about what they are looking for in there and using the keywords in that.

It just seems like it is never enough so I'm going to Vancouver public library on Wednesday to one of their job search sessions to get this sorted. I completely at a loss with all this now :S
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I see what you are saying but I've never had to do this in the UK mainly because all the jobs I have gone for want an application form and for you to fill in the specific experience they want by using examples such as a person specification. I find that resumes are too generic and organisations should use these questions to filter out applicants, but obviously this is Canada so things are different.

How I have done this is concentrating on my cover letter and being very specific about what they are looking for in there and using the keywords in that.

It just seems like it is never enough so I'm going to Vancouver public library on Wednesday to one of their job search sessions to get this sorted. I completely at a loss with all this now :S
All you can do is try and gather the info for resumes and go from there, at the end of the day for jobs that are not in high demand/hard to fill like service jobs, its more luck of the draw then anything else. I am not even sure cover letters are read half the time, and the other half of the the time the interviewer doesn't seem to have read the resume prior to the interview, let alone a cover letter.

I took 2 resume/job search courses last year, and each one taught totally different things, and the resumes they helped create got me 0 interviews, but the one I created based off google searches gets me halfway decent results.

Vancouver job market is weird, and some of these places get so many resumes, its impossible to even read them all. Example: I had a hiring manager last summer who left me a note asking me to pick 10 resumes from our file and leave on her desk. I just randomly picked 10, and those 10 got calls and 2 were hired, totally random, their resume just happened to be the first 10 in the file.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

It does seem like a better process for both the applicant and employer. I agree the UK seems to exercise this process more than Canada.

Good luck beckiwoo! Let us know how you get on!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All you can do is try and gather the info for resumes and go from there, at the end of the day for jobs that are not in high demand/hard to fill like service jobs, its more luck of the draw then anything else. I am not even sure cover letters are read half the time, and the other half of the the time the interviewer doesn't seem to have read the resume prior to the interview, let alone a cover letter.
This is the reality unfortunately. I think my method will be start at the bottom and work my ass off all the way to the top! Perhaps getting the job you want is better achieved through promotion.

Sparrow
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

I have read and been told that you should make minor tweaks to your resume for every job you apply for - even if you are applying for all Receptionist jobs.
Apparently employers don't like a "generic" resume based on a "generic" receptionist job description, this can been seen easily and usually lands you in the circular file.
I was also read that you don't necessarily need to do a cover letter if you have your resume tailored correctly for the specific position you are applying for; there can/should be an Objectives heading on your resume where you basically put what you would in your cover letter. SO now rather than 2 - 3 sheets of paper landing on someones desk, you are down to 1 -2 and are more likely to be reviewed.

To the OP. I used Monster to find the best style to write my resume and then had it tweaked by a career counsellor which ended up getting me my current job. I am based in AB so can't say if the same service is available there but here it is funded by the government and I got an hour with the counselor for free, plus use of computers, printers, fax machines etc. I could've continued to go if I hadn't landed a job so quickly afterwards.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the reality unfortunately. I think my method will be start at the bottom and work my ass off all the way to the top! Perhaps getting the job you want is better achieved through promotion.Sparrow
If your interested in corporate jobs with large companies that is certainly an option...

I have zero interest in being in management, and have no use to be promoted up the ladder, much rather just obtain a specific in demand skill that pays well from the start, which is the route I am taking. I don't have the personality for BS corporate crap, or the desire to be wealthy, just want to make enough to bring modest comfortable life.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:01 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TanieBird
I have read and been told that you should make minor tweaks to your resume for every job you apply for - even if you are applying for all Receptionist jobs.
Apparently employers don't like a "generic" resume based on a "generic" receptionist job description, this can been seen easily and usually lands you in the circular file.
Absolutely.

I was also read that you don't necessarily need to do a cover letter if you have your resume tailored correctly for the specific position you are applying for; there can/should be an Objectives heading on your resume where you basically put what you would in your cover letter. SO now rather than 2 - 3 sheets of paper landing on someones desk, you are down to 1 -2 and are more likely to be reviewed.
I do not agree with this but with the caveat that I am thinking of applications for reasonably senior positions where your resume will be read by a human being. You may need a different strategy if the resume will be machine read as you need to focus on keywords. Generic resumes as a necessary evil if you are posting on a recruitment board or cold-calling an agency.

I am not a great fan of objectives. An objective makes the resume about you. It should not be. It should be about the employer. The employer is hiring because they have needs. Your resume shows the employer that you are the best person to meet their needs.

Also, a bit of flattery never goes amiss. The more you make the resume an answer to the employer's needs the more it will stand out. Given two applicants with similar abilities the employer is more likely to choose the person who seems to want to work for them rather than just get any job.

Which is why generic resumes are unlikely to be successful.

If I advertise for a S**t Shoveler 90% of the resumes I receive with say, "my career objective is to shovel s**t for a progressive employer." They go on the liar pile. One resume comes with a cover letter that says, "I need a job and shoveling s**t is the best I can aspire to. I have a broad back, strong arms and a damaged olfactory nerve so I am bloody good at it." They have identified want I need and are likely to get the job.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 29th 2014 at 12:04 am.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:34 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Wow, thank you for that, most definitely worth considering. Where I am living it's all manufacturing jobs and I can't see myself on an assembly line...
Unless there are health reasons as opposed to just "pffft I'm not working on an assembly line" reasons, sometimes you gotta take what you can before - as you say - the money runs out.

A crappy job with pay is better than no job and no money!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:44 am
Bex in the city

With the generic resumes though, I suppose you will have to use this when applying ad-hoc for jobs that have not been advertised. I sent my resume to an organisation yesterday (previously I applied for a job with them and didn't hear anything), they got back to me and have asked me to contact them when I arrive to arrange a meeting - I seem to get a better response from these type of enquiries then applying for jobs.

I did apply for another job yesterday and did indeed tweak my resume slightly ( the job for for a youth worker in a centre) so rather then putting my residential job at the top, I changed it to my youth worker role and added to it and took bits out from the residential. I also wrote a covering letter including the key duties and responsibilities they have in their job advert (I'm guessing this is what you mean by keywords) all in all this took 1 hour to do (covering letter taking the most amount of time) fingers crossed I hear something back lol
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

With the generic resumes though, I suppose you will have to use this when applying ad-hoc for jobs that have not been advertised. I sent my resume to an organisation yesterday (previously I applied for a job with them and didn't hear anything), they got back to me and have asked me to contact them when I arrive to arrange a meeting - I seem to get a better response from these type of enquiries then applying for jobs.
That's awesome!

I did apply for another job yesterday and did indeed tweak my resume slightly ( the job for for a youth worker in a centre) so rather then putting my residential job at the top, I changed it to my youth worker role and added to it and took bits out from the residential. I also wrote a covering letter including the key duties and responsibilities they have in their job advert (I'm guessing this is what you mean by keywords) all in all this took 1 hour to do (covering letter taking the most amount of time) fingers crossed I hear something back lol

Good Luck!

Sparrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.