British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/office-etiquette-canada-particularly-vancouver-930465/)

LondonM Mar 2nd 2020 11:25 pm

Re: Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver

Originally Posted by lukesmith2 (Post 12815046)
My job takes me in and out of offices all over Canada fixing/installing network equipment. Now its worth mentioning I did this in the UK too before I moved to Canada. So I can say I've been in and out of thousands of offices. Now I'm a very chatty person if it seems like that sort of atmosphere. I honestly find Canadians on the whole way more friendly and not so uptight as British offices. My gosh if I dare swore in a British office customers would complain to the company demand you get fired its just a joke. In England because of PC culture everyone seems to not say anything. Judging by your post you were part of the minority with a good place to work.

Ill give you a brief overview of Canadian office culture in provinces I've been working:
Nova Scotia: Definately the best people in all of Canada live here. I've made friends on the job who were literally so funny and friendly I feel like I could call them anytime.
Ontario (GTA): You will just find horrible dull offices and maybe come across the odd nice person
Ontario Rural: Great people and generally fake politeness remind me of Americans
Manitoba: You can honestly find some of the nicest funniest people here. Rarely you come across a quiet office with no banter
Sask: Same as Manitoba pretty much
Alberta: Polite very nice people and depending on where you are very friendly, talkative and funny.
Rural BC: Some of the nicest people live here. Not hugely talkative and open but I rarely get angry customers here
Lower Mainland BC: Customers here are as bad as the GTA in Ontario. Rude and mostly no office culture. It seems everyone is very quiet keeps themselves to themselves (Ironically reminds me of British office culture the most)

Thank you lukesmith2, I enjoyed reading your post.
Almost all of the nicer and friendlier people I’ve met here have all been from outside of BC, they seem more genuine and don't pretend to be superior and important which I find is quite common with Vancouverites.

My office is just as you said about the lower mainland, no office culture, cold and unfriendly, and extremely quite.
But I have to say, all the offices I’ve worked in London, mostly government offices and a university, I have found the office culture to be very pleasant. I loved my co workers. I’m still in touch with some of them after 8 years.
But its also generally easier to connect with people whom you share the same culture with and I’m only just discovering things about Canada and Canadians particularly after being away from the workforce for a while.

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2020 3:35 pm

Re: Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver

Originally Posted by lukesmith2 (Post 12815046)
Ontario Rural: Great people and generally fake politeness remind me of Americans

I can't help but wonder, what are the positive qualities of these people that make up for their fake politeness? :sneaky: