Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver

Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver

Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Office etiquette in Canada particularly Vancouver

"The best practice is for us to spend some time and review these in details from the solutioning point of view .."

was a brilliant suggestion this afternoon. Someone truly did reply "NS,S".
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:50 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hate that one, I don't have anything to touch base with you about is what I think when a manger says that to me, 99% of the time they never actually do touch base.
I’m the same, I don’t want to ‘touch base’ with my Senior Manager anytime - they don’t even get the clients names right most of the time. It’s extremely frustrating
Old Jan 24th 2020, 7:49 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I hate the word ‘touch base’ when referring to a chat/meeting/catch-up.
Let’s take that offline, do a deep dive then loop back so we can look at a more joined up approach moving forward.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When you emigrate, you should expect things to be different. You should rejoice in that !
Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Let’s take that offline, do a deep dive then loop back so we can look at a more joined up approach moving forward.
You worked on that, didn't you? I work now with someone who can switch it on and off at will. Compose complete paragraphs about workload tranches, task segmentation by flavor, backlog grooming, T shaped skills and the like, in heavy gibberish, and then, with just a flap of an artificial eyelash, sell the same project plan in English. It's impressive and disconcerting in the same manner as hearing one of your children arguing in a language you don't know. I'm really enjoying watching the calibration, the selection of level of management speak to deliver; it's a fine judgement based on perception of pomposity of the audience,

Here's the managerial bullshit of the morning"Self-organizing teams remove a lot of administrative tasks from managers and directors"

and blame!
Old Jan 24th 2020, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone else have the pleasure of agile product development methodologies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_...re_developmentAgile software development comprises various approaches to software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s).[1] It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.[2][further explanation needed]

The term agile (sometimes written Agile)[3] was popularized, in this context, by the Manifesto for Agile Software Development.[4] The values and principles espoused in this manifesto were derived from and underpin a broad range of software development frameworks, including Scrum and Kanban.[5][6]
Old Jan 24th 2020, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by I am I said
does anyone else have the pleasure of agile product development methodologies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_...re_developmentAgile software development comprises various approaches to software development under which requirements and solutions evolve through the collaborative effort of self-organizing and cross-functional teams and their customer(s)/end user(s).[1] It advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continual improvement, and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.[2][[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Please_clarify]further explanation needed]

The term agile (sometimes written Agile)[3] was popularized, in this context, by the Manifesto for Agile Software Development.[4] The values and principles espoused in this manifesto were derived from and underpin a broad range of software development frameworks, including Scrum and Kanban.[5][6]

Why yes, though AgileSpank has rather replaced Legacy Agile. I get rather a kick out of Agile and the impossibility of achieving anything in an Agile workplace (not that one is expected to achieve anything except Agile compliance).

For example, it's common to have to attend three or four half-hour scrums a day which cuts down the time available for work considerably. The more fanatical scrum masters insist that people who are working remotely turn their cameras on so they can see that the attendees really are standing up. I know someone who is faced with the puzzle of three concurrent scrums. Obviously the only way to do that is to be remote to all of them but what if one or two are of the "must stand up" variety, does one pogo?

Agile is as bureaucratic and procedural as an Indian railway so not only will the policy on pogoing be documented somewhere but there will be a million posts on threads discussing the degree of hopping required.

Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
[snip] the impossibility of achieving anything in an Agile workplace (not that one is expected to achieve anything except Agile compliance).
as mostly a 'customer' of Agile, I am regularly regaled with tales of completed PIs, sprints and scrums when I am really only interested in understanding when the blessed thing is going to be finished and working as requested.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by I am I said
as mostly a 'customer' of Agile, I am regularly regaled with tales of completed PIs, sprints and scrums when I am really only interested in understanding when the blessed thing is going to be finished and working as requested.
It will be ready whenever the workers are freed of the chains of Agile.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

We have weekly office meetings that usually take up a couple of hours, but I don't have to attend; they just let me work.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
"moving forward" is another annoying one as well, even though I shamefully admit I've used it
"Reaching out"... ffs.

Perhaps all this office gobbledy gook is the reason behind some observations of a flat office atmosphere... nobody understands what anyone else is going to say. A simple "good morning" could end up lasting 5 minutes.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
We have weekly office meetings that usually take up a couple of hours, but I don't have to attend; they just let me work.
My last job would have meetings, they would always put them at the end of the day, yes we all want to come to a meeting at 4pm after working 11 hours, when most of us have been up since before 3am....

Most of us never went to them, and managers genuinely seem perplexed, sorry you 9-5 managers don't understand reality....ha ha
Old Jan 24th 2020, 5:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Do government organisations in Canada have a 'mission statement'? Oh how I remember the days and days spent on those bloody things, full of meetings (sorry, input sessions), 'brainstorming', and every meaningless buzz word known to man, woman and probably the bloody dog as well. At the end would be a lovely glossy booklet that meant nothing, did nothing, and was read by no one. My 'input' one day was to have a mission statement that said we wouldn't have any more mission statements. The CEO didn't talk to me for weeks.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do government organisations in Canada have a 'mission statement'? Oh how I remember the days and days spent on those bloody things, full of meetings (sorry, input sessions), 'brainstorming', and every meaningless buzz word known to man, woman and probably the bloody dog as well. At the end would be a lovely glossy booklet that meant nothing, did nothing, and was read by no one. My 'input' one day was to have a mission statement that said we wouldn't have any more mission statements. The CEO didn't talk to me for weeks.
Don't know about government agencies, but every company I have worked for had their stupid mission statement, but most don't seem to spend $$ on fancy booklets anymore, haven't gotten such a thing for several years anywhere I have worked. But the mission statements certainly exist and they are usually so stupid.

I never had to deal with anyone beyond local middle managers, executives don't funnel down to the workplaces I have been in, they avoid meeting front line workers it often seems. One retailer I worked at in the US, they had a mock store at HQ so executives could do their PR without having to actually ever go to a real store.

At the airline I did see the CEO a few times when he was flying, but never met him, he didn't like employees speaking to him and we were always advised to not make contact if we saw him.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 24th 2020 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 9:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

At the airline I did see the CEO a few times when he was flying, but never met him, he didn't like employees speaking to him and we were always advised to not make contact if we saw him.
Seriously? Did he think he was better than everyone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.