Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Off shore bank accounts

Off shore bank accounts

Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Off shore bank accounts

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
Can anyone confirm if Canada allows its residents to have offshore bank accounts?

Having one may be the only way I can get a deceent income from my savings when I come over in a few years' time. I am being made redundant shortly and would like to be happy in my mind that taking the lump sum option from my private pension will bring me in the best income in the future when living in Canada.
Alliance and Leicester do an off shore account based in the Isle of Man but the small print says you have to check with your country of residence to see if they allow you to have this type of accunt.

Thanks

Granma Nessie
As long as you declare the interest/capital gains, try these people:

www.internaxx.lu
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
Plenty of people have one (or several). I think the only time it might be an issue is if you need Top Secret security clearance, as there are questions on the form about offshore accounts, for obvious reasons ('transfer a billion dollars to my Swiss account and I'll give you the recipe for Tim Hortons' donuts').

Personally I opened an HSBC account in the Channel Islands a couple of years before I moved over so I could convert pounds to Canadian dollars whenever the exchange rate improved; so long as you report the interest on your tax return you shouldn't have any problems. The downside is that the interest rates on these accounts tend to suck.

And what antiquated technology is "Top Secret" in Canada? Swiss Chalet's special sauce?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marclouis
Turkish Banks have been paying out 17% on one year deposit accounts for a while now, and with the Turkish lira being so strong, that might not be a bad thing. Deposits are guaranteed (dont know how much) by the state.
example here Turkish Bank
Russian and South African banks will also pay more or less the same.
Mainly due to high inflation in these countries.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

How many millions are we talking about to make it worth all the grief and risk?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The capital sum is also subject to currency gain/loss tax if and when that is converted.
What currency gain/loss tax is this?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What currency gain/loss tax is this?
It is quite straightforward, I though posts 8 & 14 were quite clear, but seemingly not. To earn interest in an off shore account one must first invest a sum on which to earn the interest. If this investment is in a currency other than the home currency (CAD$), if and when it is converted back to the home currency any gain or loss from the original sum is subject to CGT. On a tax return one has to declare income from foreign sources and assets worth more than $100,000CDN

The same principal applies to any foreign assets held at the time of becoming a tax resident in Canada. Any gain or loss after taking up residency is subject to taxation rules.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If this investment is in a currency other than the home currency (CAD$), if and when it is converted back to the home currency any gain or loss from the original sum is subject to CGT.
I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case in the UK:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cgtfs1.htm

"What assets do not lead to a CGT charge?
Some assets are exempt. For example, you will not have to pay CGT on
* any foreign currency held for your own or your family's personal use"

Unless they mean 500 Euros for a holiday rather than $100,000 of savings.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite straightforward, I though posts 8 & 14 were quite clear, but seemingly not. To earn interest in an off shore account one must first invest a sum on which to earn the interest. If this investment is in a currency other than the home currency (CAD$), if and when it is converted back to the home currency any gain or loss from the original sum is subject to CGT. On a tax return one has to declare income from foreign sources and assets worth more than $100,000CDN

The same principal applies to any foreign assets held at the time of becoming a tax resident in Canada. Any gain or loss after taking up residency is subject to taxation rules.
A gain or loss on currency movements is distinct from interest paid. The latter is always income taxable, that is necessarily the case in the former situation. It depends on the relevant law.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case in the UK:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cgtfs1.htm

"What assets do not lead to a CGT charge?
Some assets are exempt. For example, you will not have to pay CGT on
* any foreign currency held for your own or your family's personal use"

Unless they mean 500 Euros for a holiday rather than $100,000 of savings.
If you were trading currency all the time, they could say you had a business and hence the gains were subject to income tax. But the impression from the leaflet above is that personal holdings of foreign currency are not subject to capital gains tax. Of course, it means the losses can't be claimed either.

Interest would be taxable as income, however.

It makes sense for the U.K. to take this view.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you were trading currency all the time, they could say you had a business and hence the gains were subject to income tax. But the impression from the leaflet above is that personal holdings of foreign currency are not subject to capital gains tax. Of course, it means the losses can't be claimed either.

Interest would be taxable as income, however.

It makes sense for the U.K. to take this view.
That is a UK document, not Canadian. Currency gains are taxable in Canada, personal or not.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it95r/it95r-e.html

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 15th 2008 at 4:09 am.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
A gain or loss on currency movements is distinct from interest paid.

No kidding. You are one sharp cookie!