Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is October a nice time to visit Ontario?

Wikiposts

Is October a nice time to visit Ontario?

Old May 14th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is October a nice time to visit Ontario?

Quick question for all you Ontarians out there..... we are thinking of doing another research type trip around the half term break (end of October) to the Toronto area. Seeing as we also want to use this trip to 'sell' the idea to the kids etc, is it a reasonable time to come over? I know the fall is beautiful, but what will the temperatures be like and is the fall wet/sunny/what? What kind of activities/events are on at that time that might impress them?!

Thanks
Snowqueen
Old May 14th 2005, 8:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is October a nice time to visit Ontario?

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Quick question for all you Ontarians out there..... we are thinking of doing another research type trip around the half term break (end of October) to the Toronto area. Seeing as we also want to use this trip to 'sell' the idea to the kids etc, is it a reasonable time to come over? I know the fall is beautiful, but what will the temperatures be like and is the fall wet/sunny/what? What kind of activities/events are on at that time that might impress them?!

Thanks
Snowqueen
Autumn is beautiful here but it's beautiful for two weeks at some unknown time. It would be much easier to sell Toronto to children in the summer when there's the water park, Canada's Wonderland, the islands, lots of live music, sailing and so on.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Ontario last october, in Ottawa. First two weeks of october. Nice weather, lots of sunshine. By day a jacket was not needed, but in the evenings it cooled down a bit.....
Old May 14th 2005, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowqueen

Thanks
Snowqueen
October is beautifull, mostly still sunny, few bugs about, and fall colours in full effect. Temperatures drop off at night to single digits, but days should still be in the teens. Go to the envionment canada website or the weather network site to get average temperatures for whichever part you are heading for.

Its harvest/ thanksgiving time, so maybe some corn mazes still up and halloween / pumpkin/ thanksgiving things going on, but at dbd33 says, kids will probably be more impressed by the hot summer.

Of course, ontario is the size of Spain and France combined, so if you have a specific area in mind it might help if a member is close to that location.

If your interested I posted some pictures from here last fall...most aroundmid October.
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...elds&=&action=
Old May 15th 2005, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
October is beautifull, mostly still sunny, few bugs about, and fall colours in full effect. Temperatures drop off at night to single digits, but days should still be in the teens. Go to the envionment canada website or the weather network site to get average temperatures for whichever part you are heading for.
Another point to bear in mind is that the days will be getting short (just like in the UK). If you are going at the end of October this will be particularly so, with daylight saving time at an end.

It's easier to benefit from a holiday with the long summer evenings.

Weather-wise, end of October is not the best time to visit Canada. You could even encounter a cold snap.

Jeremy
Old May 18th 2005, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Jeremy, Iain and all for your thoughts (and the photos Iain!). I take your points about the dodgy weather/short days etc. Probably not the ideal time. I know summer is best but this summer is out for all sorts of reasons and by next summer we should hopefully have our PR !! Just thought maybe we could squeeze in a quick recce before then.

The kids did love a trip we made in March 03 - all the snow etc - so that's a plus. I'll just have to rely on photos of summers spent there when they were small for the rest of the sales pitch!!

Truth is I can't wait to get out there, and a little trip would feel like it was hastening things along.....
SQ
Old May 30th 2005, 6:28 am
Canadian considering UK.

Canadian Kate is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Snowqueen,

I have a saying about October in Ontario : all months are in preparation and waiting for October! I LOVE OCTOBER in Ontario! My husband is English and whenever he mentions moving to Europe I warn him not to take me out of Canada in October, because I won't go!

You can get unlucky with the weather, but I think late September, early October is the most beautiful time of year in Ontario.