Reload this Page >

Obtaining Secret clearance in Canada

Obtaining Secret clearance in Canada

Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:22 am
Just Joined

ellisba is on a distinguished road
Default Obtaining Secret clearance in Canada

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has obtained secert cleareance in Canada. I work in IT in the UK and hope to do the same in Canada once I get a visa as a skilled worker (man, the wait is killing me but keeping my head up!!!). I am security cleared in the UK but suspect it won't count in Canada.

So is anyone aware of what's required to obtain secert clearance as I see it's required for government IT jobs in Canada.

Thanks in Advance.

Antony.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Obtaining Secret clearance in Canada

Canadian Citizenship would probably be a start...
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant futureMrs. A has a brilliant future

Hi there,
My OH has just left the UK Services with a valid high level clearance. He has a job offer in Qc and they are getting him a controlled goods clearance first. They think that UK and Canada vetting agencies readily exchange info, so although you cannot 'port' your current UK clearance, there should be no reason why your employer should not be able to apply for a Canadian one once you have PR. Visit http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/services/secinfo-eng.html for more info. I understand that the wait can sometimes be up to a year though (nothing new there then!!).
Hope that helps.
Mrs A.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellisba
I was wondering if anyone has obtained secert cleareance in Canada.
Yes. Required filling out some forms, being fingerprinted and waiting six months; fingerprinting seems to be optional depending on whether they ask for it.

Note, however, that if you're not a Canadian citizen you'll get a limited clearance which doesn't allow you to access 'Canadian Eyes Only' information, so that may well not be enough for government jobs. Also, in my case I was able to start work without a clearance since I wasn't working on anything secret at the time; again that may not be possible for a government job.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

ellisba is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mark,

That has been very informative
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

beanstalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Anthony,

I know your post was a while ago, (hopefully you are in Canada), but I was wondering whether you got any answers to your question? I am too am in the same industry as yourself would like to maintain my clearance when I move to Canada or understand the process for getting clearance there.

I look forward to your reply.