Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Obstetric Nurse Ontario

Obstetric Nurse Ontario

Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obstetric Nurse Ontario

We see less and less nurses posting saying they made it through the process. I also go on allnurses.com and we see many post for a lot of the different provinces on how long and draining the process is for IEN's. I was lucky I applied back in 2008 although due to delays sat and pass CRNE back in 2010. Even now for NS the process is long and everyone has to do a 3-5 day assessment before a decision is made to whether they meet Canadian requirements and be allowed to sit NCLEX.

I even know of someone who applied initially at another province was told they needed top up courses then decided NS was where they want to be applied to CRNNS and was told because another province made that assessment they would have to meet same requirements so went for LPN and passed
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:42 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
We see less and less nurses posting saying they made it through the process. I also go on allnurses.com and we see many post for a lot of the different provinces on how long and draining the process is for IEN's. I was lucky I applied back in 2008 although due to delays sat and pass CRNE back in 2010. Even now for NS the process is long and everyone has to do a 3-5 day assessment before a decision is made to whether they meet Canadian requirements and be allowed to sit NCLEX.

I even know of someone who applied initially at another province was told they needed top up courses then decided NS was where they want to be applied to CRNNS and was told because another province made that assessment they would have to meet same requirements so went for LPN and passed
I found Allnurses the other day and noticed the familiar username. I also noticed a post from an American degree educated nurse who was told her degree wasn't acceptable by NNAS. I would have thought Americans would have been on par at least. Oh well.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard from any nurses in ontarion recently (past 3 years) who have had an easy time. Even with planning ahead - which I did and completed my degree before coming her - only to find that the CNO had moved their goalposts which left me in limbo.

I think it is very important to read of problems that others have encountered - i wish I had known of some of the pitfalls before I came here, because I could have approached things differently. Unfortunately there was not a lot of information about the process going wrong around 5 years ago - and as has been shown on here by nurses who sat the CRNE before that time, the process was a lot smoother then.

CNO do get a higher number of applicants - but to me that means they get more money from the applicants and so should be able to employ sufficient staff to process them! When the RPN results came out, Ontario was the past province to get their results - almost 2 weeks after some of the other provinces. Sadly they just don't provide a very efficient service.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I also noticed a post from an American degree educated nurse who was told her degree wasn't acceptable by NNAS. I would have thought Americans would have been on par at least. Oh well.
It could be that the American educated nurse you refer to in your post had an Associates Degree in Nursing. I believe that a Baccalaureate degree is the minimum required in all Canadian provinces, with the exception of Quebec. I teach in a US/Canadian border state. Our BSN prepared nurses have no difficulty licensing in Canada.

I saw the first quarter NCLEX pass rates for foreign educated nurses recently. Less than 30% of foreign educated nurses have passed on the first attempt. I am not sure when the Canadian students will begin taking NCLEX in 2015. Something to think about while you wait for approval to test.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:20 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
It could be that the American educated nurse you refer to in your post had an Associates Degree in Nursing. I believe that a Baccalaureate degree is the minimum required in all Canadian provinces, with the exception of Quebec. I teach in a US/Canadian border state. Our BSN prepared nurses have no difficulty licensing in Canada.

I saw the first quarter NCLEX pass rates for foreign educated nurses recently. Less than 30% of foreign educated nurses have passed on the first attempt. I am not sure when the Canadian students will begin taking NCLEX in 2015. Something to think about while you wait for approval to test.
Ah I see. I can't remember what she said she had..

It would be interesting to see the breakdown if one existed of where the 70% that failed were from... Where did you get the info from? Although to be fair there was something in a Toronto newspaper about the high fail rate a few months back..
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see. I can't remember what she said she had..

It would be interesting to see the breakdown if one existed of where the 70% that failed were from... Where did you get the info from? Although to be fair there was something in a Toronto newspaper about the high fail rate a few months back..
Nursing schools receive quarterly updates. Here is the info from the first quarter this year for US schools. My understanding is that the NCLEX will be the same for both US and Canadian candidates.

https://www.ncsbn.org/Table_of_Pass_Rates_2015_(3).pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Table_of_Pass_Rates_2015_(3).pdf (226.8 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by DebzinUS; Jun 3rd 2015 at 12:44 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Thanks for the link... It would be interesting to see what countries the img nurses who failed were from..
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link... It would be interesting to see what countries the img nurses who failed were from..
The only info I could find was the top five countries by volume (nurses approved to take the NCLEX), and not pass rates. As far as I can remember the Philippines, India, and S.Korea were on the list.