Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OAS - 20 years in Canada

OAS - 20 years in Canada

Old May 10th 2023, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Lorag13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OAS - 20 years in Canada

Does anyone know how the 20 year rule of living in Canada works to be eligible to receive OAS?
How are the 20 years calculated? Simply from when you arrive to when you leave or is vacation time out of the country deducted?
Old May 10th 2023, 4:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OAS - 20 years in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...ity/apply.html
The application form says "Residence is the period of time when you ordinarily reside and make your home in Canada"
The reference guide says "a temporary absence from Canada (for example, holidays) does not normally interrupt your Canadian residence if you continue to keep residential ties to Canada."

The application form also only asks for residency outside Canada exceeding 6 months - presumably not vacation if that long - and even then it says "Certain absences from Canada may be included as residence in Canada (example: military or diplomatic service, studying abroad, employment with an international agency or Canadian corporation, missionary work, etc.).

In my case I was actually resident in Canada for three years before PR was eventually sorted and my OAS was based on my arrival date, not the PR date.
Old May 17th 2023, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorag13
Does anyone know how the 20 year rule of living in Canada works to be eligible to receive OAS?
How are the 20 years calculated? Simply from when you arrive to when you leave or is vacation time out of the country deducted?
Minimum period is 10 years not 20 for OAS. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...y.html#wb-cont
Old May 17th 2023, 12:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Minimum period is 10 years not 20 for OAS. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...y.html#wb-cont
A previous post made reference to having been in Canada 20 years and also a possible return to the UK so I think the OP was referencing their 20 years worth plus the need for 20 years to qualify for OAS when living outside Canada.

Probably just trying to make sure they've done a full 20 before leaving Canada.