Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OANDA in Alberta - Accredited Investor

Wikiposts

OANDA in Alberta - Accredited Investor

Old May 14th 2012, 7:43 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of
Default OANDA in Alberta - Accredited Investor

I've seen a few people post over time that they use OANDA to transfer money across the pond as I have. I've used it for the last few transfers and liked it as it's all online allowing me to play with a few ticks based on when I click go and the rate has been good with only a $15US fixed charge. It was also nice and quick - my last transfer I had from UK account through OANDA to CAD in about 3 days.

However I just got notice last week that I can only keep the account open if I qualify as an "accredited investor" in Alberta. Broadly this requires assets of $1mil+ (not including residence) or annual income of $200k+ individual or joint of $300k+. I thought this would only count for their FXtrade account with actual positions and not just their money transfer account but it applies to both.

Anyway, I unfortunately (would be nice...) don't meet any of the options and it looks like I might need to shop around for other FX transfer options. This latter part isn't a huge issue as I've used other options previously, but just intrigued to see if others who've used OANDA in Alberta have seen this and if there is anything I can do to keep using the service?
Old May 15th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OANDA in Alberta - Accredited Investor

Take out a $1m term 10 life insurance policy. This will fulfill the criteria.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tribec
Take out a $1m term 10 life insurance policy. This will fulfill the criteria.
Eh?

To the OP there are many other ways of transferring money online between countries/currencies which are no more expensive.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the OP, there are many different ways to transfer money online. What I was saying was how to get around being an accredited investor either for this is for other investments that you wish to make. If you do not fit in the financial categories of earnings or net value, one way around this is to take out an inexpensive term life insurance policy. For a 45 year old male it will cost around $600 per year. The returns from the investments for an accredited investor will more than compensate you for this initial outlay. So if you have the opportunity to invest in investments that require you to be an accredited investor, this is a relatively cheap undertaking. Just be careful to read the investment prospectus.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tribec
I agree with the OP, there are many different ways to transfer money online. What I was saying was how to get around being an accredited investor either for this is for other investments that you wish to make. If you do not fit in the financial categories of earnings or net value, one way around this is to take out an inexpensive term life insurance policy. For a 45 year old male it will cost around $600 per year. The returns from the investments for an accredited investor will more than compensate you for this initial outlay. So if you have the opportunity to invest in investments that require you to be an accredited investor, this is a relatively cheap undertaking. Just be careful to read the investment prospectus.
You sound as if you know what you're talking about, but it seems very strange that a policy which only pays out after you die would be counted as assets.

There's no mention of it here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredi...adian_Criteria
Old May 17th 2012, 3:43 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You sound as if you know what you're talking about, but it seems very strange that a policy which only pays out after you die would be counted as assets.

There's no mention of it here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredi...adian_Criteria
Though from here: http://www.albertasecurities.com/sec...0PUBLISHED.pdf

Financial assets are defined as:
“financial assets” means
(a) cash,
(b) securities, or
(c) a contract of insurance, a deposit or an evidence of a deposit that
is not a security for the purposes of securities legislation;
Anyway I checked my insurance policy and I'm short of the million, and I think if I pool my assets we get close but I'll probably just shop around. Just a bit of a pain as I like the online nature of OANDA and it means re-applying with another company blah blah