Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oakville, Toronto

Oakville, Toronto

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Oakville, Toronto

Anybody out there living in Oakville, Toronto?

Any information on what it like for kids, families things to do, (the dreaded cost of living), cost of housing, would be very much appreciated.

I have been invited for an interview there, and intend to go. If I can find out anything before hand it would be great.

many many thanks.
Majj
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oakville, Toronto

Originally Posted by Majj

Any information on what it like for kids, families things to do, (the dreaded cost of living), cost of housing, would be very much appreciated.

I have been invited for an interview there, and intend to go. If I can find out anything before hand it would be great.

many many thanks.
Majj
I lived in Oakville for about 6 months with Mr Vix before we moved into the city, I think its a beartiful town, very very good for growing families (wasnt any good for us as a little quiet for 2 twenty somethings) you can find bargain houses there lots of new builds. they have a commuter station serving either burlington to the West or Toronto and Oshawa to the East, its also a via Rail station so you could take a longer trip to say Niagara falls. It has a lovely water front great for fishing im told, and lots of lovely shops and restaurants near the marina. also have a lot of strip malls and outlet malls. its close enough to the city that you dont feel isolated yet quiet enough for a growing family.

You can check out house prices at www.mls.ca or rental prices at www.viewit.ca

Hope that helps
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:33 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I lived in Oakville for about 6 months with Mr Vix before we moved into the city, I think its a beartiful town, very very good for growing families (wasnt any good for us as a little quiet for 2 twenty somethings) you can find bargain houses there lots of new builds. they have a commuter station serving either burlington to the West or Toronto and Oshawa to the East, its also a via Rail station so you could take a longer trip to say Niagara falls. It has a lovely water front great for fishing im told, and lots of lovely shops and restaurants near the marina. also have a lot of strip malls and outlet malls. its close enough to the city that you dont feel isolated yet quiet enough for a growing family.

Hope that helps
Having lived in Oakville for four years, I'd agree with most of that. Not the "bargain houses" bit though. Oakville is, I believe, the second-wealthiest town/city in Canada. Property prices reflect that.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

Hope that helps
Thank you for that. It's very useful.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:08 pm

Thank you for that. It's very useful.
While you are there, and if you'd be looking to buy a house, it might be a good idea to hook up with a realtor. A good one will probably be happy to show you around areas that might fit your needs. I can give you a name, if you wish.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvenir
While you are there, and if you'd be looking to buy a house, it might be a good idea to hook up with a realtor. A good one will probably be happy to show you around areas that might fit your needs. I can give you a name, if you wish.
Thanks that would be most helpful.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:55 pm

Thanks that would be most helpful.
I don't have her details to hand but if you look at the mls listings for Oakville, you'll soon find Frances Wedlake (or her son Ken). I've used both of them before (twice).
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

We've just been to Oakville and really liked it.

It's convenient for Toronto but far enough away from the city to have plenty of countryside and a relaxed atmosphere. There are plenty of schools, and the ones we saw looked very welcoming and well cared for.

We thought property was a little expensive for what we wanted, and we'll be aiming for Burlington instead: it's similar to Oakville but the scenery is slightly better and homes are about 10% cheaper.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:49 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

just pm'd you
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in oakville....pm me if you want the nitty gritty

many many thanks.
Majj
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizen
....pm me if you want the nitty gritty
Who do we PM if we want the dirt band?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
the dirt band?
I wonder what would happen if I googled that?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

Hiya,
Been here 6 weeks and have just bought a house in West Oak Trails in Oakville. Bought the house for $450,000 and its 4 bed in a very Truman Show type area. More expensive than surrounding areas like Mississauga & Milton but we liked the family friendly atmosphere. Not lots of original architecture but lots of playgrounds for the kids and very well planned in terms of road links and shops etc.
Loads to do for small children (mine is 2) either paid clubs or free drop ins. The lake front is lovely with nice walks and play grounds.
I hope you like it when you visit. If you google Oakville you will find the Tourist website which gives you a good idea.
Hope that helps,
Tara
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:28 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I wonder what would happen if I googled that?
I did and here is the result

http://www.nittygritty.com/
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I did and here is the result

http://www.nittygritty.com/
Will that get me into trouble if I click on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.