Reload this Page >

Oakville school recommendations pls

Oakville school recommendations pls

Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

winky297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oakville school recommendations pls

Hi all

We are moving to Oakville in January and would love to get some feedback on schoools in the area. I have a 14 year old daughter who is dyslexic but loves arts, sport, drama (all the good bits about school really) a son who is almost 13 and sport mad but very highly academic too and an 11 year old daughter who really is pretty much an above average all rounder. We currently live in Queensland, Australia and unlike the UK, kids can go up or down a year grade rather than having to be born between 1 sept / 31 aug. Is this the same in Canada or are they placed according to birth month/year etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks
Ailsa
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oakville school recommendations pls

Hi

You might want to check out the Halton District School Board website as they have a lot of information.
http://www.hdsb.ca/Pages/Home.aspx

You might also want to check out the Ontario School rankings on Fraser's website
http://ontario.compareschoolrankings...oseReport.aspx

Hope that this is helpful to get you started
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

Hi

I live in Oakville and my daughter is in grade 2, if you would like to pm me I can give you some info.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:53 am
Just Joined

winky297 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks will have a look on the web sites.. will send you a pm through later today..

Cheers

Ailsa
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:48 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
You might also want to check out the Ontario School rankings on Fraser's website
http://ontario.compareschoolrankings...oseReport.aspx

Hope that this is helpful to get you started
Or you might not.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winky297
Hi all

We are moving to Oakville in January and would love to get some feedback on schoools in the area. I have a 14 year old daughter who is dyslexic but loves arts, sport, drama (all the good bits about school really) a son who is almost 13 and sport mad but very highly academic too and an 11 year old daughter who really is pretty much an above average all rounder. We currently live in Queensland, Australia and unlike the UK, kids can go up or down a year grade rather than having to be born between 1 sept / 31 aug. Is this the same in Canada or are they placed according to birth month/year etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks
Ailsa
The general Halton board policy is that students are placed according to their birth year - ie, all kids born within a calendar year January - December are in the same grade. However some Principals will consider advancing a child on an individual basis, our youngest is advanced a grade because he was 5 when we moved to Oakville which would have placed him back in Kindergarten but he had already done a year of full time school in the UK and we didn't feel it would be good for him to move back a step. We found a Principal who agreed and he was put into Grade 1. He has remained with that class ever since, and there has never been an issue (apart from the occasional birthday card with the wrong age!). For the most part I would recommend placing them where they belong according to age, we were lucky in that our son was born in January so is only 10 days too late to be in the grade that he is in, if he had been born later in the year then maybe we would have made a different decision.
I live in Oakville, my eldest son is at Oakville Trafalgar High School in Grade 11 and loves it, my youngest is in Grade 8 at Maple Grove, we have been very happy with both schools and both boys have had very positive experiences.

PM if you want more information on schools or anything else about Oakville.