Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Average deductions for salary

Average deductions for salary

Old May 16th 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Average deductions for salary

I know this maybe a pretty open question but what would be a good percentage to use for average deductions on a 140k salary.
I would like to do some initial calculations for my income should I be transferred to Canada based on working in south Mississauga living in the Oakville area.
For example my total deductions on a salary in North America is 35%, and I would like to know a rough guide for the area in Canada.

Hope you can help.

D
Old May 16th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average deductions for salary

Originally Posted by Teanmontana
I know this maybe a pretty open question but what would be a good percentage to use for average deductions on a 140k salary.
I would like to do some initial calculations for my income should I be transferred to Canada based on working in south Mississauga living in the Oakville area.
For example my total deductions on a salary in North America is 35%, and I would like to know a rough guide for the area in Canada.

Hope you can help.

D
2018 Personal tax calculator - EY - Canada - EY - Canada
Old May 16th 2018, 5:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can help.

D
It's actually a pretty simple question using an online tax and deductions calculator like the one linked to by Hurlabrick. :-) Government collects income tax - at both the provincial and federal level, Employment Insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions. Both EI and CPP are have a maximum contribution which at that salary level you'll reach about 4 months into the year. On top of the government's slice you'll likely pay for extended health (figure $200 a month for a family plan if your employer cost shares) and any RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings plan so like a 401k in the US) contributions.

By the way, isn't Canada in North America?
Old May 16th 2018, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Teanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond reputeTeanmontana has a reputation beyond repute

Both posts really helpful thank you.

Yes you are correct about North America, I refer to Northern USA - Montana to be specific.

Looking at the calculators it's around 30% for the income tax and ranging between 5 - 10 % on the other items depending on coverage and RRSP contributions.
Old May 16th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

15 years ago, OH's total deductions were between 40-50%, but he did have payments for 3 insurance policies and RRSP on automatic deduction by the bank before we "saw" on our "living" salary.

Don't forget your $140,000 in the US is worth more than $140,000 Can

I guess you should also try to compare cost of living, price of houses etc in Mississauga/Oakville vs Montana
Old May 16th 2018, 8:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Both posts really helpful thank you.

Yes you are correct about North America, I refer to Northern USA - Montana to be specific.

Looking at the calculators it's around 30% for the income tax and ranging between 5 - 10 % on the other items depending on coverage and RRSP contributions.
Aside from factors included in the tax calculators you need to look at property taxes, EI contributions, CPP contributions,uin Ontario, the OHIP premium (about $950 /yr on that salary). Then as non-tax issues, car insurance, union dues if applicable. Transport costs. There will be others.

You don't say if you are single or have a family. If single you could struggle by on that but if you have a non-earning spouse and, god I hope not, children, you'll be in very poor shape.

Especially if you'll live in Oakville
Old May 17th 2018, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aside from factors included in the tax calculators you need to look at property taxes, EI contributions, CPP contributions,uin Ontario, the OHIP premium (about $950 /yr on that salary). Then as non-tax issues, car insurance, union dues if applicable. Transport costs. There will be others.

You don't say if you are single or have a family. If single you could struggle by on that but if you have a non-earning spouse and, god I hope not, children, you'll be in very poor shape.

Especially if you'll live in Oakville
Thanks, I didn't really elaborate on the situation because it isn't really clear to us right now, I'm just building a picture around the salary at the moment. I want to be sure that when the offer comes that it is enough for us To be able to live at the same standard that we do now. I am married and it is just myself and the wife. We are currently living in Montana USA after a move from the UK JULY 2017.
Old May 17th 2018, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
15 years ago, OH's total deductions were between 40-50%, but he did have payments for 3 insurance policies and RRSP on automatic deduction by the bank before we "saw" on our "living" salary.

Don't forget your $140,000 in the US is worth more than $140,000 Can

I guess you should also try to compare cost of living, price of houses etc in Mississauga/Oakville vs Montana
140,000CAD Was what I am using to figure things out
Old May 17th 2018, 1:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

140,000CAD Was what I am using to figure things out
That seems like a pretty good income to me. Granted, I don't live in Oakville.

I'm a bit puzzled by your travels, is there something common between Montana and southern Ontario or does living in Montana compel you to find something completely different? (I know southern Ontario well, not much about Montana but I did work in Laramie WY for a while and guess it to be similar).
Old May 17th 2018, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
That seems like a pretty good income to me. Granted, I don't live in Oakville.

I'm a bit puzzled by your travels, is there something common between Montana and southern Ontario or does living in Montana compel you to find something completely different? (I know southern Ontario well, not much about Montana but I did work in Laramie WY for a while and guess it to be similar).
Well as you have asked lol - I will give you the short version. In 2016 I was offered the opportunity to work at one of my company's sister factories in Montana, my wife and I sold up moved to Montana to start a new life adventure. We arrived in Montana in July 2017 and loved it, it is a great place to live. Unfortunately in November 2017 we were told that the company will be acquiring a new business and that the FTC would force them to sell one of their factories. This happens to be the factory I work at and due to my L1B visa I cannot stay with the new company and will be transferred to a new factory or go home. This certainly wasn't the plan but we have to stay positive and make the best of the situation.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well as you have asked lol - I will give you the short version. In 2016 I was offered the opportunity to work at one of my company's sister factories in Montana, my wife and I sold up moved to Montana to start a new life adventure. We arrived in Montana in July 2017 and loved it, it is a great place to live. Unfortunately in November 2017 we were told that the company will be acquiring a new business and that the FTC would force them to sell one of their factories. This happens to be the factory I work at and due to my L1B visa I cannot stay with the new company and will be transferred to a new factory or go home. This certainly wasn't the plan but we have to stay positive and make the best of the situation.
Oh my, good luck in Ontario!
Old May 17th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t forget also that if OPs wife isn’t working he will be able to use her tax allowance too...
Old May 17th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Don’t forget also that if OPs wife isn’t working he will be able to use her tax allowance too...
That's interesting, good to know. Hopefully we will be both working eventually but we'll have to see how that pans out.
Old May 22nd 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, good to know. Hopefully we will be both working eventually but we'll have to see how that pans out.
Every little bit helps