British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nursing Transcripts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nursing-transcripts-776651/)

caleo Nov 4th 2012 10:42 pm

Nursing Transcripts

I know there is a separate place for posting about nursing queries, but they all seem to relate more to Australia :o

I am currently going through the process of waiting for the CNO to make a decision on my qualifications.

The University sent me a copy of my transcripts, so I thought I would check on here regarding hours generally required for each of the 4 major areas of training.

Does anyone have details of the hours covered in training, and whether those hours have been sufficient to get registration without SEC?

I know that each province is different, and that here I need a degree - but just wanted a broad outline to see what the general requirement is.

Airborne_Dan Nov 5th 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Nursing Transcripts

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771601

caleo Nov 6th 2012 2:00 am

Thanks - i had seen that post, but it doesn't really give me the information i am asking for - i just want to know if there are any nurses on here who have applied and been accepted without SEC - and what hours thy had on their transcripts. I qualified general nursing in 1988 - so have all the areas covered.

I have heard of others with the pre project 2000 training getting accepted, but some haven't - it all seems to do with the actual wording and hours stated on the transcript.

It would so much easier if each province gave details of their exact training requirements so you could identify any shortcomings before you apply.

Thanks for your input.

Airborne_Dan Nov 6th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by caleo (Post 10367950)
Thanks - i had seen that post, but it doesn't really give me the information i am asking for - i just want to know if there are any nurses on here who have applied and been accepted without SEC - and what hours thy had on their transcripts. I qualified general nursing in 1988 - so have all the areas covered.

I have heard of others with the pre project 2000 training getting accepted, but some haven't - it all seems to do with the actual wording and hours stated on the transcript.

It would so much easier if each province gave details of their exact training requirements so you could identify any shortcomings before you apply.

Thanks for your input.

The CRNBC appear to have deemed my hours in paeds, mental health and maternity to be sufficient because I am not being assessed on these areas. Which surprises me as i have done the least here. There appears to be a lack of consistency and predictability with SEC.

caleo Nov 6th 2012 7:49 pm

Yes. Loads of inconsistency across the board it seems - mine s in the hands of the CNO - guess I just need to sit back and wait ;)

Thanks again

sdo1982 Nov 7th 2012 9:01 pm

Just PMd Dan... inconsistency is an understatement, not to mention the language issue, the wife did her SEC with people who couldn't understand "come in" when they were asked into the scenario room... :thumbdown:
To top it all they had less experience and had a day less of SEC assessment!
But, welcome to Canada, everyone is so frightened of appearing discriminatory they swing too far. :blink:

Airborne_Dan Nov 7th 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdo1982 (Post 10371543)
Just PMd Dan... inconsistency is an understatement, not to mention the language issue, the wife did her SEC with people who couldn't understand "come in" when they were asked into the scenario room... :thumbdown:
To top it all they had less experience and had a day less of SEC assessment!
But, welcome to Canada, everyone is so frightened of appearing discriminatory they swing too far. :blink:

:rofl:

hitozutsu Nov 11th 2012 5:50 am

Me too! I only need an assessment in general/surgical, that's where most of my hours were anyway! Nothing else :-). Hehe. Just need this license!