Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing career, at what point wold you apply for what visa? Help!

Nursing career, at what point wold you apply for what visa? Help!

Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Nursing career, at what point wold you apply for what visa? Help!

No worries with the questions we were the same not that long ago. We find the cost of living cheaper than Edinburgh. in terms of cars food etc. but we are not in our house yet so its not a relative comparison yet. It obviously depends how you live and what your used to in the Uk but we are just about going to make it on OH salary. I am going to get some work to top up the money just to be comfortable. We are fortunate enough to have £100k from a house sale behind us so we can afford a decent mortgage and cars etc from the get go which a lot of people don't have.

I don't have any real experience of any other parts of Canada but I have also read that Alberta is relatively expensive. Compared to our life in Edinburgh it doesnt seem too bad so far.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing career, at what point wold you apply for what visa? Help!

I wouldn't worry about moving after you have done your training. I applied for a top up degree after I had applied for my PR and when I started the course I had already been offered a job and was in the process of getting WP.

I finished my degree before leaving the UK but I am starting my dissertation in September, through Manchester Uni in England and it was a funded degree so it has cost me nothing. The Uni and tutors are very supportive and have bent over backwards to make sure I can complete the course.

Do I feel guilty for using the government funded training for my advantage, do I hell. I have more than paid the government back by the amount of hours I have had to work unpaid to ensure safe environment for patients. I'm sure after qualifying you'll have to work whilst waiting for your WP, then you'll work for a low wage with below inflation pay rises and no thanks.

Good luck with your decision and your training.