Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Canada except Alberta

Wikiposts

Nursing in Canada except Alberta

Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice
Default Nursing in Canada except Alberta

I am looking to pick your collective brains.

We have just had the news that our LMO for Calgary is worthless so are now looking at opportunities in the rest of canada.

So where are they still looking for nurses and any links we should look at would be helpful. Before we went to Calgary we had looked around Brampton/Toronto but finding it hard to get the facts on the ground.

So any help would be gratefully recieved, the irony is we plumped for Calgary because we were told there were jobs for years to come. How wrong they were.

So thank you in advance

ps i have posted this in the nursing forum but seems a lot more viewers here
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nursing in Canada except Alberta

Originally Posted by md5037

We have just had the news that our LMO for Calgary is worthless so are now looking at opportunities in the rest of canada.

So where are they still looking for nurses and any links we should look at would be helpful. Before we went to Calgary we had looked around Brampton/Toronto but finding it hard to get the facts on the ground.

So any help would be gratefully recieved, the irony is we plumped for Calgary because we were told there were jobs for years to come. How wrong they were.

So thank you in advance

Hi there

Try http://www.healthmatchbc.org/

I know 2 nurses that have done it for BC. I am a Midwife and they do not cover me unless you do Obstetric nursing, so I have gone a different route.

But have a look, they pay the PNP fees as well I believe.

Sarah
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:42 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.interiorhealth.ca/roomtog...l.aspx?id=7476 Covers the southern interior of BC.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had the news that our LMO for Calgary is worthless
Not sure what you mean by a worthless LMO. Did the employer get an LMO and then decide not to employ you, or could they not get a positive LMO.

If they did just decide to take back a job offer, did they give you a reason? Was it just that they were not prepared to wait for you when they could get someone else more quickly?

Do you have a licence to practice in the Province? Have you passes CRNE? The further down the road of getting a full licence, the more employable you are.

If you decide to go to another Province you will have to get your licence with the regulatory body in that Province, although if you have already passed the CRNE that will count in any Province.

Do you have a diploma or a degree as if you are at diploma level you may be restricted as in some Provinces, nursing is a graduate profession (Ontario springs to mind). Also bear in mind that in Quebec and New Brunswick, as a nurse you may be expected to be able to speak French.

Honestly, if your heart is set on living in Alberta, are you really going to be happy elsewhere or are you always going to be thinking "What if"?

There will be other job offers and if you are already a long way down the road of preparing to work in Alberta, I would seriously think about giving it another shot.

Anyway, whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Hi,

If you are a general nurse you have options throughout Canada (Alberta ? freeze on international nurse recruitment, last i heard).

If you are a psychiatric/mental health nurse (as we are) you will be limited to the four westerly provinces, as UK RMN is not recognised elsewhere.

We have accepted employment in BC with 'Interior Health' (link in previous post) and hope to be off in a few months time.

Registration details/links for BC

http://www.crpnbc.ca (Psychiatric nursing)

https://www.crnbc.ca (General nursing)

Our experience with finding employment with Interior Health, registering with the CRPNBC and the support/assistance given by Healthmatch BC has been very positive. You DO NEED to obtain temporary registration with either CRPNBC or CRNBC before you approach any potential employers as they tend to want you to be in receipt of the letter of eligibility to sit the Registration exam.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Not sure what you mean by a worthless LMO. Did the employer get an LMO and then decide not to employ you, or could they not get a positive LMO.

If they did just decide to take back a job offer, did they give you a reason? Was it just that they were not prepared to wait for you when they could get someone else more quickly?

Do you have a licence to practice in the Province? Have you passes CRNE? The further down the road of getting a full licence, the more employable you are.

If you decide to go to another Province you will have to get your licence with the regulatory body in that Province, although if you have already passed the CRNE that will count in any Province.

Do you have a diploma or a degree as if you are at diploma level you may be restricted as in some Provinces, nursing is a graduate profession (Ontario springs to mind). Also bear in mind that in Quebec and New Brunswick, as a nurse you may be expected to be able to speak French.

Honestly, if your heart is set on living in Alberta, are you really going to be happy elsewhere or are you always going to be thinking "What if"?

There will be other job offers and if you are already a long way down the road of preparing to work in Alberta, I would seriously think about giving it another shot.

Anyway, whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for your Response.

I had my offer of employment, my LMO and my registration but after talking with Alberta Health they have informed me there will be no jobs for internationals in the forseeable future, seemingly there isnt enough places for canadian graduates this year. They have also sent details of how I can reclaim my expenses.

I understand that I would need to re apply in a different province but that is a necessary evil. The reason we were drawn to Calgary was beacause all our research had been Ontario based, but after a jobs fair Calgary drew us in we went on a recce and the offers of work and job security seemed better.

Now that doesnt seem to be the case. I have my degree so no problems on that front I dont speak French so i can discount those 2.

I have to say we arent fixated on Alberta it seemed like the most secure option at the time. We can see the benefits of the Canadian lifestyle for our family, i know its different in a huge country, but for us its getting over that is important.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Wherever you decide to go I would not apply for jobs until you are really ready to move as employers can go cold over time anywhere.

Are you planning to take your CRNE? The only reason I ask is that if you only have a temporary licence in Alberta, I think that you lose it after one year if you don't convert it to a full licence by passing the exam. If you had a full licence in Alberta, it may be a quicker, simpler process to get a licence in another Province.

I am not absolutely sure about the situation here, but if I were you I would be asking questions to ensure that you find the most straightforward way of getting a licence in your chosen Province.

Again, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

So thank you in advance

Here in Ontario there is a hiring freeze in a lot of hospitals. They have new graduate initiatives where they guarantee jobs for the newly qualified nurses so there aren't jobs available for international nurses.