Reload this Page >

Nursing in Canada

Nursing in Canada

Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing in Canada

Originally Posted by saryfairy
I happen to think that its fairly harsh that I cant pursue my chosen career in Canada unless i retrain and start again from scratch after 8 years qualified I would not want to be a student nurse again for love or money so will have to leave my nursing career behind once i get to canada...harsh is one of the words id use to describe that...
I think it's very frustrating yes but harsh no.......what people forget is education is different here and you won't have to retrain completely just top up in the areas they require.

I came from the UK in October I was an ITU nurse and I'm expecting a baby so my career is on hold for a while but definitely plan to not let my career go, worked far too hard to do that, plus the money is great here!!

Don't give up hope, apply and find out what they need you to do!!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

OntarioIsForLovers is an unknown quantity at this point

contemplating a career as a paramedic, seems like it will take just as long to train as a paramedic from scratch as it will to top up my nursing, and the salary is better. Food for thought
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

From reading the post here, I see that some people are under the impression that they have to retrain in their quest to nurse in Canada. I apologise if I have the wrong end of the stick here
I can only speak from my perspective in coming to work as an RN in Alberta.

I personally did not have to do any bridging or SEC's.
I think as Silverdragon has said 'it is how your transcripts are set out regards to the clinical and theoretical hours undertaken' as to the assessment and decision on your eligibility to obtain a nursing licnece.

As for RN's working as HCA's, I believe they do need a relevant certification, but on the flip side I have seen some applications come across my desk where an RN ( in the process of trying to gain registration) has been employed as an HCA. In the same vien I have also had RN's working as LPN's.

There are many variations from hospital to hospital never mind province to province.

The best thing is to contact the relevant Nursing Licensing body for the province you wish to settle and go from there.

Good luck to all and I hope it all works out for you
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
From reading the post here, I see that some people are under the impression that they have to retrain in their quest to nurse in Canada. I apologise if I have the wrong end of the stick here
I can only speak from my perspective in coming to work as an RN in Alberta.

I personally did not have to do any bridging or SEC's.
I think as Silverdragon has said 'it is how your transcripts are set out regards to the clinical and theoretical hours undertaken' as to the assessment and decision on your eligibility to obtain a nursing licnece.

As for RN's working as HCA's, I believe they do need a relevant certification, but on the flip side I have seen some applications come across my desk where an RN ( in the process of trying to gain registration) has been employed as an HCA. In the same vien I have also had RN's working as LPN's.

There are many variations from hospital to hospital never mind province to province.

The best thing is to contact the relevant Nursing Licensing body for the province you wish to settle and go from there.

Good luck to all and I hope it all works out for you
Thanks thats encouraging. The only thing I don't have on my transcrpit will be the obstetrics, I did a common foundation year where I did theory and practice in adult, mental health and LD, and obviously paediatric but we didn't do any midwifery, just a neonatal placement.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

saryfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
I think it's very frustrating yes but harsh no.......what people forget is education is different here and you won't have to retrain completely just top up in the areas they require.

I came from the UK in October I was an ITU nurse and I'm expecting a baby so my career is on hold for a while but definitely plan to not let my career go, worked far too hard to do that, plus the money is great here!!

Well iv contacted the nurse registration board in Alberta and was informed that my degree was not equivalent and that i would in fact have to retrain completely. I have a friend out there currently who trained&worked with me & has had to do that exact thing. I don't want to lose my career either but i have no choice, i cant afford to be an unpaid student nurse for another 4 years as well as pay for the course as a foreign student (way more expensive)
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:35 am
Just Joined

ailsacott is a jewel in the roughailsacott is a jewel in the roughailsacott is a jewel in the roughailsacott is a jewel in the rough

What a shame the qualifications you have worked hard for can not be transferable!! There must be a way surely! It would be such a shame to give up a skill/career that you worked hard for. To have to re train would be hard. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Well iv contacted the nurse registration board in Alberta and was informed that my degree was not equivalent and that i would in fact have to retrain completely. I have a friend out there currently who trained&worked with me & has had to do that exact thing. I don't want to lose my career either but i have no choice, i cant afford to be an unpaid student nurse for another 4 years as well as pay for the course as a foreign student (way more expensive)
I am so sorry to hear that. What reason did they give that your degree was not eqivelent?

I am shocked. There must be some way to appeal?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

saryfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
I am so sorry to hear that. What reason did they give that your degree was not eqivelent?

I am shocked. There must be some way to appeal?
I was shocked too! but apparently it seems fairly standard for the british qualification to be rejected. I emailed CARNE-the nurse regulatory body in Alberta and they said because i am paediatric trained with no generalist training my education and clinical experience would not be the same or equivalent to theirs. In my training we did modules on Mental health as well as learning disabilities and a foundation course in adult nursing biology but this is not enough, and they have suggested I would have to retrain. they have said I can apply to have my eligibility assessed but this costs $550 and it is most probable that i would be rejected straight out. At the moment whilst funding my move to Canada under the IEC i unfortunately havent got a spare £350 to be told i am not eligible. Also a friend i trained with who has the exact same qualification was rejected last year so im assuming this will happen to me- I cant see any reason why it would be different. Im gutted, been a nurse 8 years and dont want to give it up but cannot realistically retrain, both financially, practically and mentally- It was enough 10 years ago....
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was shocked too! but apparently it seems fairly standard for the british qualification to be rejected. I emailed CARNE-the nurse regulatory body in Alberta and they said because i am paediatric trained with no generalist training my education and clinical experience would not be the same or equivalent to theirs. In my training we did modules on Mental health as well as learning disabilities and a foundation course in adult nursing biology but this is not enough, and they have suggested I would have to retrain. they have said I can apply to have my eligibility assessed but this costs $550 and it is most probable that i would be rejected straight out. At the moment whilst funding my move to Canada under the IEC i unfortunately havent got a spare £350 to be told i am not eligible. Also a friend i trained with who has the exact same qualification was rejected last year so im assuming this will happen to me- I cant see any reason why it would be different. Im gutted, been a nurse 8 years and dont want to give it up but cannot realistically retrain, both financially, practically and mentally- It was enough 10 years ago....

I see as you are paediatric trained and not general. It is a shame, but they have a generalist training here.

Is there any way you could do some RN Adult training in the UK, to give you the RN Adult degree? I expect you have thought of changing speciality.
This may only take 18 months.

I hope it all can work out for you, best of luck
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OntarioIsForLovers
Thanks thats encouraging. The only thing I don't have on my transcrpit will be the obstetrics, I did a common foundation year where I did theory and practice in adult, mental health and LD, and obviously paediatric but we didn't do any midwifery, just a neonatal placement.
A friend of mine did not have the required hours in obstetrics, but they allowed her to work whilst taking that SEC under the condition that she did not at anytime work with those clients, it was a condition on her temporary licence. I am not sure how common this is, but she was the only one I knew who did this.

Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams

Don't you lose your registration in the uk if you dont practice for 3 years? And if you're not registered in the uk i'm pretty sure you can't enroll on a BIEN program
Soooo much red tape I hate it

Last edited by OntarioIsForLovers; Feb 18th 2013 at 10:27 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OntarioIsForLovers
Don't you lose your registration in the uk if you dont practice for 3 years? And if you're not registered in the uk i'm pretty sure you can't enroll on a BIEN program
Soooo much red tape I hate it
Well i'm in BC and a Adult Nurse and you have to have worked as a registered nurse in the last 5 years to be able to apply. For me i think i will probably have to take extra courses and do more clinical hours if i have a year not nursing. My plan is to sit SEC in Jan 2014.

In the UK you have to re register every year so officially mine is up for renewal at the end of this month.

It is sooooo frustrating......wish it was easier but it ain't and i don't think worth losing your career when you have worked so hard, but it appears to be much harder for paeds nurses.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

My wife is a uk adult nurse, she did spells in various departments before moving to A/E, she then did a pediatric degree. She transferred her training to Canada no problem. Worked over here as a grad nurse in emerg until she sat her carna exam. We know of a number of other nurses who have done this.

It can be done, but only if you have had the correct range of training. This applies to all jobs/trades not just nursing.