Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Alberta

Nursing in Alberta

Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

md5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nicemd5037 is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing in Alberta

She must have, been she qualified since 1996ish and has worked in A&E and other places like that so has a mix of all different people dont know if that counts when they look at experience.

Just had email from Calgary chasing up our referees so seems to be moving on.

We dont plan to move until middle of next year. We plan to go across in March/April without the kids and just look at the logistics of it. I will try and find work. Then make the final decision.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

pm sent
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

susie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura aboutsusie q has a spectacular aura about

hi
im sure when you speak to international float manager -helen downey- she will be able to give you some support and guidence. canada wants nurses and seem to like us brits ,so should help with deficit in training. calgary have just started doing in house cpr as ien were finding it difficult to get on training days. so hang on in there ,plus calgary has a children hosp so if you have to work in an enviroment where you dont come in to contact with children should not be too difficult to arrange. i work at the foothills medical center if i can be of any help
susie q
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Susie. PM sent.

Sophie has spoken to both CARNA and the International Float Pool Manager for the Calgary Health Region, but the responses weren't as we'd hoped . Sophie decided to speak to CARNA to challenge their decision and to see if she could possibly send some more supporting evidence of her pediatric experience to enable this application to be successful without further assessments and courses etc. No joy!

Sophie then spoke to the International Float Pool Manager to see about being employed on a restricted temporary permit whilst completing the SEC assessment and any associated training whilst working and living in Calgary, but she said that it would be difficult as the hospital managers don't like their employees having any time off. There may be an option for her to do the SEC assessment here in London yet, which might make things a bit easier, but we'll have to wait and see.

Any other suggestions of what our next step could be would be gratefully accepted.

Still hopeful, just don't know about the timescale now.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie has been enroled on her SEC assessment for pediatrics in London on February 4th and 5th. Just awaiting confirmation of times and venue now, so this should make things easier. She was also told that, if some extra training is required, she may be able to do it in London aswell, during Feb/March whilst CARNA/Mount Royal College are over. Maybe things are looking up already!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You might get specific advice from other people with relevant experience here on the BE nursing forum: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys....

Bainsey36 I feel I am going to be in the same position as you! Although I am only Paeds trained! I find that when I ask CARNA questions they are never very helpfull and the last email I sent didn' answer the question I asked!

WE are heading out to Canada in May as my other half has his assessment with the police, and I am really starting to worry that my CARNA application will come back that they can't help me!

I find it quite strange that CARNA say they can't help us any further when the hospitals bite your hand off when you ask if you can have an informal meet?

Your SEC exam in London, how did you find out about that? and how much did it cost? Good luck with the exam in Feb and keep us posted on how you get on! x
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LisaandSteve
Hey Guys....

Bainsey36 I feel I am going to be in the same position as you! Although I am only Paeds trained! I find that when I ask CARNA questions they are never very helpfull and the last email I sent didn' answer the question I asked!

WE are heading out to Canada in May as my other half has his assessment with the police, and I am really starting to worry that my CARNA application will come back that they can't help me!

I find it quite strange that CARNA say they can't help us any further when the hospitals bite your hand off when you ask if you can have an informal meet?

Your SEC exam in London, how did you find out about that? and how much did it cost? Good luck with the exam in Feb and keep us posted on how you get on! x
Hi Lisa,

Sophie said that if you can speak to an RN at CARNA, then you might get some better advice about the process and answers to your questions. It does seem crazy that Alberta are crying out for nurses (and all other trades aswell), but make it so difficult and expensive for anyone to start work there and ease their labour shortage!

The SEC exam will only come round once you have received your letter back from CARNA about your Registration Application. Once you get the letter stating that you need to do a SEC assessment in a certain area (pead's, mental health, obstetrics, adult), only then can you apply for your assessment. Sophie found out about the London ones through the Calgary Health Regions International Float Pool Manager and has since enroled.

Thanks for the wishes and best of luck with your application.
Old May 16th 2009, 5:22 pm
April 2009

rugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bainesy36
Hi Lisa,

Sophie said that if you can speak to an RN at CARNA, then you might get some better advice about the process and answers to your questions. It does seem crazy that Alberta are crying out for nurses (and all other trades aswell), but make it so difficult and expensive for anyone to start work there and ease their labour shortage!

The SEC exam will only come round once you have received your letter back from CARNA about your Registration Application. Once you get the letter stating that you need to do a SEC assessment in a certain area (pead's, mental health, obstetrics, adult), only then can you apply for your assessment. Sophie found out about the London ones through the Calgary Health Regions International Float Pool Manager and has since enroled.

Thanks for the wishes and best of luck with your application.
Am in exactly the same position in BC have to sit SEC in paeds & mental health really desperate to find out how sophie got on and how was the assessment. Fingers crossed for her will follow your story with interest. Regards rugbymum.
Old May 16th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

i have been here for 2 months and am still not working alberta is the worst provence if you go to skasatuana there is no problems at all, have you got a job offer with an LMO if you have carna have to process your application but will ask for a sec assesment before you start that is a big pain just done mine, if you havent got a LMO for alberta go to other provences all have jobs in nursing, lots of vacancys in alberta so i dont know why there is a problem, in baniff they are closing the naternaty ward because of midwife shortages and are short of 1000s of nurses in alberta.
mac
Old May 16th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

hi,

Well I passed the SEC assessment, were granted our 12 month visas and we landed two days ago. CARNA are awaiting paperwork from the NMC then they can send my registration documents then I can finalise a job! I can't believe how much i've had to do in a short amount of time, but to be honest I can only see it as a positive that at least I know that everyone I'll be working with will be of the same high standard. We're off to Banff tomorrow then it's back to the list of things to do.

Sophie
Old May 17th 2009, 5:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

well done
Old May 17th 2009, 11:23 am
April 2009

rugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond reputerugbymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hughe congrats on the SEC pass. thanks for the info, what I really need to know is what the exam was like, how much revision you had to do and in what depth? thanks rugbymum.