Wikiposts

Nursing

Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing

There are two kinds of transcript a normal & full version. The full version rarely covers all the details about hours done in each area for theory & practice. My husband had to send his request to his Uni and ask for a full breakdown of hours done for each module of the course & each placement to be done. This took a couple of weeks to do but was exactly what they required. It didn't cost any more either. We made a copy of it & had it certified when doing all our other bits as may need again for the CEC or FSW visa process. Good luck The whole process from getting the job offer to getting our visa was exactly 9 months! We got out TWP yesterday & are looking at flying out mid-January!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

dollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the roughdollydee1 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I am a British trained RN currently here in Canada and the amount of hoops I have had to jump through is quite excessive however my process has taken 5 months so far started it in the UK and still sorting things out here. I worked in both mental health and learning disability as a care manager before I trained as a nurse, one of the main reasons I trained as a general was so that I would eventually leave the UK for pastures new, I really do not know how it works re RNLD out here, I would like to wish you all the best and be prepared for a lot of ups and downs it is not straightforward, however I am sure for some nurses coming here the process may have been a little easier.........................
Old Nov 30th 2012, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Shelld79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
When you submit your application to the college a copy of your transcripts has to go directly from your university. They will not accept it from you. Your transcripts has to show both clinical and theory hours and amount of hours in each
So there is no point of me trying to get a copy of it so I can tell the registered nurses body what hours I have. The problem is is we are not even sure if we are definitely going to do this and first thing is I need to find out how much extra time I will/may need to do where I go to Canada. I.e if I will have to do another 1 year is so at Uni in Canada then it will not be worth me doing it.

Do I definitely have to choose an area in which we may live in and then apply to the nursing council. Would they pass on my transcript to another council if I swapped areas to live in I.e if I sent it to Ontario then wanted to live in BC? That would then cost me another £50!!!

You mentioned an application to college, what's that for? I'm guessing to top up my qualifications!!!
Thank you silverdragon you are the font of all nursing knowledge!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing bodies in Canada are provincial colleges of RN and I am not sure how it works in regards moving provinces to work when trained outside of Canada. Most tend to decide where they plan on living and then apply to that provincial college as the process even for Canadians is expensive. I think if you have experience in one province and have already passed CRNE then it may be a bit easier but I do not have first hand experience in this.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelld79
So there is no point of me trying to get a copy of it so I can tell the registered nurses body what hours I have. The problem is is we are not even sure if we are definitely going to do this and first thing is I need to find out how much extra time I will/may need to do where I go to Canada. I.e if I will have to do another 1 year is so at Uni in Canada then it will not be worth me doing it.

Do I definitely have to choose an area in which we may live in and then apply to the nursing council. Would they pass on my transcript to another council if I swapped areas to live in I.e if I sent it to Ontario then wanted to live in BC? That would then cost me another £50!!!

You mentioned an application to college, what's that for? I'm guessing to top up my qualifications!!!
Thank you silverdragon you are the font of all nursing knowledge!
As far as I am aware the colleges do not pass on details. I have a few nurses from different provinces working for me and each one has to prove to the next province their eligibility to have a licence awarded. So it would be best if you chose where you want to start, once you get your PR then you can move around the country. Otherwise you will need new LMO's and TWPs for each move

The application to the college, is to the regulating body ie. College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (or other province) (I believe that is what Silverdragon meant). The college will ascertain your eligability for a licence to practice.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mad Jockette
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice

Hi Im Steve and a registered psych nurse in British Columbia and been here 5 years
you might like to read my neww post as Im having a nightmare living here so will quickly give you the heads up
if you can convince them that learning disability is a specialized part of psych nursing then you should have no problems getting a job ......Its all about filling nursing positions as everyone is retiring

Canada pays very well and decent benefits. its downsize is alot of care is really antiquated.
learning disabilities has not really been invented here yet and the word retard and brain dead still is comon place. LD is lumped together with mental health so if they are dually diagnosed, Schizophrenia takes presidence over LD
So its a bit tongue in cheek and services are awful

Good thing about Canada is its easy to get into
bad thing is its an atrocious place to try and stay, immigration is a real nightmare like Im going through now
if it was me and the great power of retrespect I would go somewhere else!
I wish I had stayed in Australia
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe
Hi Im Steve and a registered psych nurse in British Columbia and been here 5 years
you might like to read my neww post as Im having a nightmare living here so will quickly give you the heads up
if you can convince them that learning disability is a specialized part of psych nursing then you should have no problems getting a job ......Its all about filling nursing positions as everyone is retiring

Canada pays very well and decent benefits. its downsize is alot of care is really antiquated.
learning disabilities has not really been invented here yet and the word retard and brain dead still is comon place. LD is lumped together with mental health so if they are dually diagnosed, Schizophrenia takes presidence over LD
So its a bit tongue in cheek and services are awful

Good thing about Canada is its easy to get into
bad thing is its an atrocious place to try and stay, immigration is a real nightmare like Im going through now
if it was me and the great power of retrespect I would go somewhere else!
I wish I had stayed in Australia
Steve, sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Hoping it is all sorted out for you very soon.