Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nurse registraion in Ontario

Nurse registraion in Ontario

Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:03 am
Just Joined

thugpoetry69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse registraion in Ontario

I am a mental health nurse and have 7 years experience in various field of psychiatry. I am currently based in the UK and have no relatives in Canada. I am in the process of registering as a nurse in British columbia and i am having to do a bridging programme which i have to be honest is very expensive and time consuming as i am working full time. The CRPNBC have said that they will only give me temporary registration once i have completed the course but will still have to do the exam. Trying to get PR is too expensive for me and so too is the skilled federal migrant worker scheme. The only way i see myself getting to Canada is if i have a job there and the only way i can do that is if i'm registered first. Kinda feel like a hampster on a wheel to be honest.

1) has anyone here ever had to do the bridging programme and what are the chances of me getting a job in British Columbia once i am finished the programme.

I am now considering going to Ontario instead as i am hoping that it might be easier for me to get registration there.

2) As a UK trained nurse would it be difficult for me to get registration in Ontario.

3) I am also due to start a non medical prescribing course here in the UK. Would that course hold any water in Canada.

Any advise would be truly appreciated.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse registraion in Ontario

Once they have assessed your training, they will decide whether you need to do any additional courses/training in order to be able to register. I am general trained so it may be different for you.

We were initially looking at moving to BC, but have decided on Ontario - although Ontario require you to be trained to degree level. You would still need to apply and have your training and qualifications assessed in order to get temporary registration.

Wherever you apply to in Canada, you will only get temporary registration and have no choice but to sit their exam.

There are a few nurses on here who have already done the transfer, so I am sure they will fill you in more. I have not started the process yet, but i think in order to find out exactly what you need to do to get temporary registration is to apply and let the board decide what extra programmes you would need to do.

http://allnurses.com/international-nursing/ may help too if you have not already looked there.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse registraion in Ontario

You have 2 options, register as a RMN in the few provinces that accept Mental Health training or meet province requirements. All provinces require RN's to be general trained so a lot will depend on your transcripts and what it states on Mental Health, Paeds, Obstetrics and General Adult.