Reload this Page >

Nurse and GP (and a puppy) looking to move to Nova Scotia/Ontario

Nurse and GP (and a puppy) looking to move to Nova Scotia/Ontario

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 9:01 am
Just Joined

menina_alice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse and GP (and a puppy) looking to move to Nova Scotia/Ontario

Dear all,

I've spent hours on this forum looking at the information written by all of you. Thank you so much to everybody who contributes, very very helpful to newbies to this, like us.

I thought I would ask a few specific questions - I am so sorry if I am repeating previous questions!

We are a nurse (myself) and a GP (my husband) in our mid/late 30s, looking to move to Canada. We are sadly disillusioned with the NHS where both worked for over 10 years and need a challenge/change. We are attracted to Nova Scotia as undeniably the conditions offered to GPs seem good and certification/immigration seems more straight forward. We are keen to go for a site visit, which has been offered to us. We have read at length about people's experiences of this province and are obviously a little disappointed, I do think however that it's important that we go and see things for ourselves and speak to those working there. If we were to go and absolutely not like living in Nova Scotia after a while, and we wanted to move to another province, would we have to apply for GP/nurse certification again? I think the answer is yes, but I wonder if anyone can offer further advice on the process... I imagine we would have our permanent residency by then as we would want to give it a good go and stay for at least 2 years as we would want to gain experience in Canada and "pay back" the investment they've made in us. The other option would be to apply directly to Ontario as this is our 1st choice province, even though we know it would take longer. We are just worried that it will be more difficult to get professional certification/find a job in general practice. In Ontario, do you normally first start the process of professional certification and then start looking for a GP job? Where do you look for a job? Can anyone recommend any agencies? Would they look at your CV if you don't have yet a licence to practice?

I am aware that getting nurse certification in Ontario is lengthy process as my UK training is unlikely to be a match to Canada training so I am really dreading it, but if my husband had a job and I had a work permit we should be able to manage, until I get certified! I haven't looked yet at certification in Nova Scotia but think it will be similar.

The other question is, we have a puppy who would be coming over with us - Would we have trouble finding accommodation in Nova Scotia/Ontario that allows pets? We would be looking to live in Halifax/Toronto respectively.

Thank you so much in advance. We would be very keen to speak to GPs/nurses who moved to either Nova Scotia or Ontario for a little more advice on your journey.

Last edited by menina_alice; Jul 2nd 2019 at 10:30 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse and GP (and a puppy) looking to move to Nova Scotia/Ontario

There are fewer places to rent with a pet but a single dog shouldn't make things too difficult. What kind of dog is it? We have a greyhound and a whippet and are racked with guilt over making them live in this climate.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

I have thought about that a lot actually, how are they coping? We have a goldendoodle. Fluffy curly coat to protect him is aplenty but I'm unsure about how he would cope with snow? I imagine that the daily morning and evening walks become a lot more difficulty when its -15C....
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by menina_alice
I have thought about that a lot actually, how are they coping? We have a goldendoodle. Fluffy curly coat to protect him is aplenty but I'm unsure about how he would cope with snow? I imagine that the daily morning and evening walks become a lot more difficulty when its -15C....
I had one of those; "bobbling" was an issue; snow built up in the paws until they were huge and he had to sit and lick it off. Some people Vaseline the feet before going out in deep snow. Otherwise no issue with the winter at all, he would swim right up to the point when ice coverage made it impossible, Sight hounds, on the other hand, don't care for the winter even in their luxurious wrappings.

Last edited by dbd33; Jul 2nd 2019 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a shortage of Family Practitioners in NS, caused by a spate of retirements and just sheer burn-out, as the remaining doctors try to take-up the slack. There are also 56,000 people who do not have a regular doctor, and rely on the walk-in clinics for their medical issues. On the other hand, the new Ontario government, appears to be on a trajectory of worsening the healthcare in the province having cut several tens of millions of dollars from the health budget. In all honesty, there doesn't appear to be much difference in the state of the NHS and provincial health care in Canada.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:19 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by menina_alice
We also have one of those and despite low temperatures she loves the snow and ice (Rural nova Scotia)..... with the same comments as dbd33 regards bobbling ;-)

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Something to be aware of, Nova Scotia is beautiful, it's a tourist destination for a reason and at face value people are friendly, it seems like a nice place, good facilities etc.
How are you going to make sure you see beyond that to know if it really is somewhere you'd like to live? A short visit to see isn't going to give you that insight.

As a serial expat I'd go so far as to say short visits are close to pointless, as there's no real way of knowing without living in a place, sort of a catch 22 really. At first we loved Nova Scotia, I thought I'd finally found the place where we happily live out our days.

Then I started what for me was life saving treatment, and seeing our "friends" start voicing their attitudes, seeing it all come out in the wash was devastating, and so hurtful. That our young child had to repeatedly hear why mummy wasn't worth the cash it cost to save her when that money could have been spent on Canadians was even worse. These were the same friends who threw us a surprise party to celebrate my birthday, who we though genuinely liked us, who we were close to.

I'll spare you my harping on about it again, as I feel I've done that enough on here as late. I will say that it wasn't just that though, as soon as we started to become successful in a major way (rather than just doing well, or not as was first the case!), that brought on the backlash too. Not that we have ever advertised it, but nothing stays secret in NS. Its like living in a goldfish bowl.

There is a reason NS can't keep its doctors, and struggles to recruit them without them hotfooting it to other provinces. When they are leaving in their droves, you have to ask yourself why. Why are the province prepared to spend so much money and resort to immigration to attract Doctors? Why don't any of the existing Doctors in Canada want those jobs?

Generally speaking, if a country or an area is making immigration easy, or much easier than the norm, you have to question why. As ever in life the easiest/cheapest route is rarely the best.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

I should have added, I'm not that kind of Doctor, but yes you would need to get certified again if you moved province.

A friend of mine (a genuine one not one of the "friends") who is a medical Dr moved to NS from another province and had to get certified again. She moved back less than a year later as she hated NS so much, but that's another story.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I had one of those; "bobbling" was an issue; snow built up in the paws until they were huge and he had to sit and lick it off. Some people Vaseline the feet before going out in deep snow. Otherwise no issue with the winter at all, he would swim right up to the point when ice coverage made it impossible, Sight hounds, on the other hand, don't care for the winter even in their luxurious wrappings.
Awwww beautiful! Yes bobbling is a big issue and requires careful and daily attention, imagine the snow will prob make it worse! Thanks for your reassuring words and tips. I know I will spend plenty of time reading how to snow proof my baby if we end up moving to Canada!
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
There is a shortage of Family Practitioners in NS, caused by a spate of retirements and just sheer burn-out, as the remaining doctors try to take-up the slack. There are also 56,000 people who do not have a regular doctor, and rely on the walk-in clinics for their medical issues. On the other hand, the new Ontario government, appears to be on a trajectory of worsening the healthcare in the province having cut several tens of millions of dollars from the health budget. In all honesty, there doesn't appear to be much difference in the state of the NHS and provincial health care in Canada.

That sounds a lot like home... we are in London (which is probably one of the worst areas in terms of recruitment/renting) but the UK is facing similar problems as a whole. It feels like it’s becoming really difficult to be a doctor/nurse everywhere we’ve looked
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimmydean
We also have one of those and despite low temperatures she loves the snow and ice (Rural nova Scotia)..... with the same comments as dbd33 regards bobbling ;-)
Oh my word!! I’m in love!! What a beautiful baby!!! Sorry I had to delete the photos when I reply as it was giving me an error!! Is she a standard size doodle? She looks like a big girl can’t even tell you how much I adore dogs! Such wonderful creatures
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
I should have added, I'm not that kind of Doctor, but yes you would need to get certified again if you moved province.

A friend of mine (a genuine one not one of the "friends") who is a medical Dr moved to NS from another province and had to get certified again. She moved back less than a year later as she hated NS so much, but that's another story.
first of all thank you for sharing your experience, it’s exactly to hear true stories that I think most of us come to this forum I think. I’m sorry you haven’t have always had the best time, I’ve resigned myself to not be surprised at some of the things you describe and I think there will always be people who don’t see you as they would see natives. I’m an immigrant myself and the UK is my third home (I am awaiting British citizenship after living here for many years). I completely agree re. not being able to really tell how much you’ll like a place based on short visits, hence why I am realistic and admit we may not like it after living there. I’m a city person and couldn’t live somewhere smaller than Halifax. I’ve now read a lot about NS and I’m sad that I haven’t read as many positives as I have negatives, I’m getting disheartened. I think we may just try Ontario, being fully aware that it may not happen. But if it doesn’t, maybe it’s not meant to be.

wishing you much happiness and health.

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, and I'm sorry if my post(s) sounded condescending, they weren't meant that way.
Your husband does have one advantage over most of the Doctors I know (all of whom have left NS now) in that he's a man, so at least he won't suffer the hair raising sexism.

To be quite frank attitudes towards minorities and immigrants were more tolerant and positive in Johannesburg when we lived there than they are here in NS. Sounds extreme but sadly true, and confirmed by friend (belonging to an ethnic minority) who returned to SA instead of stay in NS.

I was having coffee with our nearest neighbour, as we were cerebrating her husband's new job in Alberta.
She's from New Brunswick and said they just couldn't stand the discrimination, racism, sexism (all the other isms) and come from away-ism any more.

Both of their kids (who are absolutely lovely) have been horrifically bullied to the point of which the best older one (who is 12) has started self harming. All because they were born in NB and not NS. The local school is very highly rated too, and is supposedly a beacon of tolerance.
Her husband works in Halifax and has had the same workplace bullying. They have been horrified as they've lived all over Canada and have never had anything like this before.

I think perhaps if you live in or close to Halifax, and don't excel at anything (sort of remain mediocre and blend into the background, no newer cars, no nice house, no vacations etc) and of course don't get sick/made redundant/anything which would cause you to take Government money away from "real Canadians" or "real Nova Scotians" then you'll probably be fine, and won't notice any issues.

​​​​​​Unless of course you aren't Christian.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you ever fancied moving to BC? There have been a few threads recently about Doctors getting certified and moving to BC and it didn't seem like a hideous process, or especially lengthy in terms of immigration either.

In NS even if you can get past or avoid all the other issues, there are a lot of problems at the minute with Doctors making a living wage, and a whole load of other stress, red tape and paperwork.
From what our current family Dr tells me (not sure how long he'll last, we've been through six Drs in the two years of being with our current surgery) he can't earn enough to live on. Let alone manage the unsustainable hours and everything else.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Not a doctor, or nurse.

But I have to say my daughter moved to the Halifax region from BC when she married 20 years ago, and is very happy there, although she does miss being on this side of Canada.

She and her husband are both professionals, work in Halifax and live in Dartmouth across the harbour. They've never met any of the problems that raindropsandroses has .............. daughter had to have sudden major surgery some years ago, and neighbours kept them supplied with food for weeks, looked after son, and never blamed her for the fact that the surgery was largely her own fault (that's momma speaking!!!).

We've been in the Halifax region when there has been a major blizzard in mid-winter or tail end of a hurricane in fall.......... but those have been less common in recent years. In general, you dog won't have to contend with anything like the weather in Ontario or central Canada. Windy and wet might be much more like it!! The nice thing is that communities that get a lot of snow are set up for it ................. roads are cleared almost as soon as the snow falls, and Halifax even has little Bobcats with ploughson the front that clear the side walks

It's nothing like what you still contend with in the UK!!

I would suggest that you don't look at living in Halifax, but in Dartmouth or one of the other close-by areas.

More and more money seems to be given to health in provincial budgets, yet there is never enough to go round. But we have always been happy with the medical services and doctors in the 50+ years we've been in Canada. There seems to a move away from fee for service to salaried doctors working in clinics with other health professionals.

Seriously, every province seems to have major problems re lack of doctors ............ but you would not want to move to Vancouver unless you have a lot of money. Housing costs, whether buying or renting are in the stratosphere, on a par with central London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.