Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
LMAO - Are you serious about Larne! Plus it looks as if the toilet has been a crime scene....

The reason the houses are that cheap is because economy has tanked and people are leaving N Ireland
Oh I need to see the crime scene toilet.
I have just received an email from an old colleague in the UK who is also a Tory local politician and she said this:
"I think the UK is not doing too badly at the moment – relative to the rest of the world to be totally honest…"

My gut instinct there is to totally disagree
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO - Are you serious about Larne! Plus it looks as if the toilet has been a crime scene....

The reason the houses are that cheap is because economy has tanked and people are leaving N Ireland
I know of a Larne because a poster on this board tired of Canada and moved there. I don't know of anyone moving from Larne to Canada. You may, of course, say that Larne isn't the hub of the UK economy but the comparison was with NS so it seems fair on that score.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of my family live in Larne and are very happily employed, content, comfortable, and the kids have a great life
Old Nov 7th 2011, 4:33 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
A lot of my family live in Larne and are very happily employed, content, comfortable, and the kids have a great life
My folks are about 15 miles down the road from your lot then.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 4:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
My folks are about 15 miles down the road from your lot then.
Nice

It was fun when we were kids. My dad a Northern Irish protestant and my mum a catholic from England
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Nice

It was fun when we were kids. My dad a Northern Irish protestant and my mum a catholic from England
Must have made for lively dinner conversation and possible dangerous puddings.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:24 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Tangram
Must have made for lively dinner conversation and possible dangerous puddings.
It also made for complicated wedding arrangements by all accounts.

Aaah the good old days
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

It also made for complicated wedding arrangements by all accounts.

Aaah the good old days
Yes, even my English ( Scouse ) parents had a 'mixed' marriage - Catholic and Protestant. The Protestant had to do all sorts of conversion and promise to raise me Catholic ( 1950's ).
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:15 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yes, even my English ( Scouse ) parents had a 'mixed' marriage - Catholic and Protestant. The Protestant had to do all sorts of conversion and promise to raise me Catholic ( 1950's ).
Friend of mine married a fine Catholic lass and had to do the same sort of conversion and promise otherwise they were all bound for HELL (1980's).
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Nikki73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We have been here just over 6 months and we find loads of things to do. Our children are 7 and 4 and they love being able to ride their bike in the road and I love that I am without fear of them being run over.
We have spent every weekend this summer going out at least one weekend day and still havent touched the place. There are stacks of beaches I havent yet had so much of a sniff at and the ones I have been to, I want to go back to.

It DOES depend what you are looking for. We wanted peace and quiet and beauty and a nice house in a safe neighbourhood with proximity to a small city with restaurants and the ocean and we got all that. We are not looking for theme parks and are happy with the wildlife park. If we want theme parks we are a few hours from Florida where we would go anyway for that kind of thing.

For us, this is perfect. We love being here. Who knows whats ahead in life anyway.
Hi can you tell me which part of nova scotia you live? Your description of where you live sounds like something me and my family are striving for, thanks so much
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Nikki73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regardless of cheap vs expensive, UK crime vs NS crime, etc etc
I like it here. The UK could become the most wonderful place in the world and I would still want to be here.
I loved England, my gran lived in a chocolate box cottage at the foot of the downs in pretty Sussex and I have great memories but I wanted to live here.

I like the stop signs, Tim Hortons, talk of "flurries" on the radio in October, the ciccadas in the summer, the humidity (yes I know I must be the only one),our house, our neighbourhood, our pool , Dairy Queen, raccoons with their bandit faces, Wendys, Montanas, lots of trees, stunning and I mean STUNNING beaches. The fog on the highway, the sun glinting on the lakes that I drive past every day.

For me its a feeling.
loving this answer
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:04 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of cheap vs expensive, UK crime vs NS crime, etc etc
I like it here. The UK could become the most wonderful place in the world and I would still want to be here.
I loved England, my gran lived in a chocolate box cottage at the foot of the downs in pretty Sussex and I have great memories but I wanted to live here.

I like the stop signs, Tim Hortons, talk of "flurries" on the radio in October, the ciccadas in the summer, the humidity (yes I know I must be the only one),our house, our neighbourhood, our pool , Dairy Queen, raccoons with their bandit faces, Wendys, Montanas, lots of trees, stunning and I mean STUNNING beaches. The fog on the highway, the sun glinting on the lakes that I drive past every day.

For me its a feeling.
I feel the same way about Vancouver Island.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki73
Hi can you tell me which part of nova scotia you live? Your description of where you live sounds like something me and my family are striving for, thanks so much
We live just off of Junction 8 on the 102 near Elmsdale. It gets hot and green in the summer and can be cold in the winter (-21 in the windchill this morning - it was bracing!), when I say cold we are seen as being in the start of the NS snowbelt.
When I first visited som of the South Shore - Mahone Bay and Chester, I thought, damn we should be closer to here (1 hour drive to start the scenic route to Chester and Mahone Bay) and then when I went to New Glasgows Melmerby Beach which is 1.25 hrs in the opp direction and I loved it as much, I realised that actually we live in the middle of both! Hurrah!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

NovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really nice

Moved back to the UK after 3 years in NS. So glad to be back in the UK.

NS was nice for a couple of years but harsh, very harsh; weather, social and economic deprivation etc. Culturally not bad but only in and around Halifax.

I was very lucky to get a great job with pay equal to the UK but don't expect anything else to be of equal quality; education's not on the same level (history outside Canada? eh? Geography outside Canada? what?) furnishings are poor, "antiques" expensive and pubs aren't pubs, they are bars.

Ice Hockey rules everything and it really is a very male dominated province.

Lovely coastline, nice people (those who like the English) but generally no idea at all that there's a world outside of NS.

Try it for a while but our conclusion was enough's enough, let's get back home where we can enjoy days out, culture, theatre, sport other than ice hockey, great education and no mosquitoes!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:46 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NovaBlues
Moved back to the UK after 3 years in NS. So glad to be back in the UK.

NS was nice for a couple of years but harsh, very harsh; weather, social and economic deprivation etc. Culturally not bad but only in and around Halifax.

I was very lucky to get a great job with pay equal to the UK but don't expect anything else to be of equal quality; education's not on the same level (history outside Canada? eh? Geography outside Canada? what?) furnishings are poor, "antiques" expensive and pubs aren't pubs, they are bars.

Ice Hockey rules everything and it really is a very male dominated province.

Lovely coastline, nice people (those who like the English) but generally no idea at all that there's a world outside of NS.

Try it for a while but our conclusion was enough's enough, let's get back home where we can enjoy days out, culture, theatre, sport other than ice hockey, great education and no mosquitoes!
Have to agree with (almost) everything here. How long have you been back in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.