Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Originally Posted by Deva
The defining characteristic of Wolfville is not that it is in a rural area, it's that Acadia University is in the centre of it. The university provides amenities and cultural events not normally found in a small town and when the students are here the population of 3,700 pretty much doubles. Combined with summer tourism this gives Wolfville a fair amount of vibrancy throughout the year.

Does all this make it an exciting place to be a teenager? Probably not but there should be plenty to do. My kids are only 3 and 5 so I can't comment first hand.

As for the weather, if it's good enough for the melons, peaches, grapes etc. that they grow around here it's good enough for me. Having lived in Winnipeg, Ottawa and the north of England I would take the weather here any day.

All in all, I think Wolfville is a great town. How could it be better? Pete's Frootique. Opening in May 2012. Brilliant.

http://www.petesfrootique.com/index.php
Hi Deva,

Would you mind if I sent you a PM, as I don't won't to hijack this thread. As I have a few questions about Wolfville.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

No culture?! Boring?! Nothing to do?!

We make ours.

When we lived in London, we went to theatres, cinemas, galleries, museums and watch sports all the time.

Here we produce our own art, painting. There are probably more established artists you can meet in person and talk to than in London.

We don't watch sports now, but participate sports, hiking, biking, running, etc.

We still go to Cinemas and rent movies here.

Nova Scotia is Canada's ocean playground. We sail a boat.

Last few weeks the colourful autumn was fantastic!

It is colder than London, but here we have fabulous insulation, not like the crap
Victorian building we lived and felt the wind blowing in from every window and door.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future

I've never lived in NS, but have spent a good amount of time there, visiting several times for up to a month each time. I think the bottom line with regards to whether you will or wont like NS basically depends on what you are looking for in your next 'home town', and where you are coming from. The 'what you are looking for' reason is pretty obvious, but where you are coming from is also important because if you are moving to NS from say Goose Bay, your idea of a great live entertainment act would be different than if you were moving from Montreal.

If you live in Halifax, there are good pubs and eateries, history (compared to western Canada), sports (cricket, rugby in addition to the popular Canadian sports), live entertainment and a good university.

If you live in the rural areas, some of my favourite things to do are visit the different beaches, farmer's markets and take in the quaint little independently owned shops. I loved the fact that you never had to lock your car or your house in Wolfville. There is also a great football (soccer) scene in the Annapolis Valley. Kentville got a great indoor facility a few years ago.

I personally wouldn't live anywhere in NS except Halifax, but that's mainly because I'm a 28 yr old, young professional with no kids. I most recently lived in Regina, and that is much more my speed at this stage in my life. I never thought I'd say this prior to living in Regina, but I prefer the weather in the Prairies than in NS/NB. The winters in SK are brutal, but easy to dress for because you know that 95% of the time you have to only protect against the dry cold/winds, while in NS/NB it could be cold, sleet, freezing rain, hail, snow. I dont know about Halifax, but Fredericton definitely get a LOT more snow than Regina.

Also, to answer another poster, Landmark East is a great school for kids with learning disabilities. It has a very good reputation, and I know some kids' families move to Wolfville from some countries in Asia just so their son/daughter can go there.

P.S a maritime house party is absolutely awesome!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sazzer
Hi Deva,

Would you mind if I sent you a PM, as I don't won't to hijack this thread. As I have a few questions about Wolfville.
Sure. No problem. I'm happy to help.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lamin
Thats encouraging to hear your thoughts on the weather.

I too live in Calgary and this will be my 4th winter. they are warning already of a very bad winter, jeeeeeezzzz 2 out of the last 3 were horrendous.
I have had long exposures to the -30s + and snow here in June (6th June D Day watching the parades on BBC news whilst it miserably snowed in my garden).

The winters just seem to go on and on with no let up, blue skies yes but still to long. I then find it a very short inconsistant summer then back to winter.

Would you say you get the 4 seasons there?

Love the news on the beaches.
There's definitely 4 seasons here in Wolfville.

Winter can be a lot of freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw but I think there's just enough cold weather to make it enjoyable without seeming never ending. If I remember correctly, there was snow on the ground last year from Boxing Day to the end of February. It doesn't get much colder than -20.

Spring is slightly spoiled by the melting mess at the start but there is a definite easing into warmer weather and after the winter it's a joy to see the countryside come to life.

In the summer there aren't many days above 30, which suits me fine after enduring the heat and humidity in Ottawa. The locals did complain about the rain this year but I thought the summer was great.

Autumn is beautiful and probably my favourite season, especially with all the harvest activity going on. You can have +20 weather into October.

In all seasons fog is very rare here in the Valley.

I'll echo what other people say about the beaches. Nova Scotians are spoilt for choice. Most nearest to me have huge tides so aren't the picture postcard sandy type but are still a good day out.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:35 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
There's definitely 4 seasons here in Wolfville.

Winter can be a lot of freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw but I think there's just enough cold weather to make it enjoyable without seeming never ending. If I remember correctly, there was snow on the ground last year from Boxing Day to the end of February. It doesn't get much colder than -20.

Spring is slightly spoiled by the melting mess at the start but there is a definite easing into warmer weather and after the winter it's a joy to see the countryside come to life.

In the summer there aren't many days above 30, which suits me fine after enduring the heat and humidity in Ottawa. The locals did complain about the rain this year but I thought the summer was great.

Autumn is beautiful and probably my favourite season, especially with all the harvest activity going on. You can have +20 weather into October.

In all seasons fog is very rare here in the Valley.

I'll echo what other people say about the beaches. Nova Scotians are spoilt for choice. Most nearest to me have huge tides so aren't the picture postcard sandy type but are still a good day out.
plus windchill can get down to -35!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:14 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

-2C on the way into work today! zippeeeee
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:16 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
-2C on the way into work today! zippeeeee

That's positively summer weather, compared to what's coming! I actually find it really nice at the moment.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I like it too, I saw a truck this morning with a snowplough thingy attached to the front and I felt freaked out!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:40 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I like it too, I saw a truck this morning with a snowplough thingy attached to the front and I felt freaked out!
Yeah always dred seeing the first snow plough of the season
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
plus windchill can get down to -35!
Maybe once a decade. That is very rare for NS.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:07 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
yes but I've felt it within the last 4 winters
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Just out of curiosity I had a look at the Environment Canada website to see if there is any windchill data. It shows the average number of days per year with a windchill below -30 as:

St John's - 2.3
Halifax - 3.3
Moncton - 13.6
Montreal - 11.5
Ottawa - 14.0
Toronto - 3.6
Winnipeg - 49.0
Regina - 43.2
Calgary - 19.6
Edmonton - 29.7
Vancouver - 0.0

I didn't realise Toronto was so balmy.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:52 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Four bedrooms, coastal views, access to a major city, $300,000:

http://www.propertypal.com/3-casemen...w-larne/168140
LMAO - Are you serious about Larne! Plus it looks as if the toilet has been a crime scene....

The reason the houses are that cheap is because economy has tanked and people are leaving N Ireland
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
LMAO - Are you serious about Larne! Plus it looks as if the toilet has been a crime scene....

The reason the houses are that cheap is because economy has tanked and people are leaving N Ireland
Better price than you'd get in the South East of England!!! Think I'll stay here if that's all the UK has to offer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.