Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Originally Posted by Lamin
Thanks for all the replies, it makes interesting reading.

Would anybody like to start the ball rolling with either their top 10 favourites, ie,
things to do,
places to go,
walks,
drives
coffee shops
etc etc.

I am loving all the feed back and finding it most usefull.
I've only be here two months so far so my experience is limited. It's difficult to say what my favorite things are actually but the coffee shop just has to be Tim Horton's! lol
We like getting out and love the water so being and the bottom of the province is a great place to be for that, the plan is to have a boat of some description in time for the Spring.
That's all I can say but no doubt those who have been here longer will have more to add.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by laser558
I had to comment on this. It makes me smile. How much we haved altered our perspective on things. I grew up in the 60's on the Isle of Wight. We didn't have a car, could rarely afford to go onto the mainland and took occasional holidays in a caravan on a park some 5 miles away. I've grown up into a reasonable, mature adult even without all the trappings it is felt people need today.
that kind of localist rural life is exactly what i want! i grew up in an area like that. is there anywhere in Nova Scotia that's like that? none of this commuter malarky, i just want to live in a little patch and become a proper local. the Lower North Shore in Quebec is like that.

also (general question) is there much cider production in the Annapolis Valley? that's a niche i want to work my way into sometime...
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
Thanks for all the replies, it makes interesting reading.

Would anybody like to start the ball rolling with either their top 10 favourites, ie,
things to do,
places to go,
walks,
drives
coffee shops
etc etc.

I am loving all the feed back and finding it most usefull.
Things to do - picnic at the beach, explore the South Shore, day at the lakes, wander round the wildlife park
Places to go - Melmerby, Mahone Bay, Grand Lake, Peggys Cove (only been here 6 months so list is growing)
walks - around my neighbourhood, along the waters edge on endless beaches
Drives - scenic South Shore drive is beautiful, even my drive home up the 102 is pleasant
Coffee shops - rather liking Tim Hortons, there French toast cinammon bagel is scrumptious.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Interesting thread. We're heading to NS and have loved it on every visit, but I'm not sure I can comment in the way others have as I've not lived there yet. However, re. The above comment... No offence intended and each to their own, but I'm surprised you moved to Canada if you don't like snow? NS gets less, but it still gets a reasonable amount. Not sure Ontario would be a good move next!

I don't like coffee either.... But I love Tim horton's donuts!!
Ha ha it was more a joke. I don't hate snow, I just don't like it very much
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
also (general question) is there much cider production in the Annapolis Valley? that's a niche i want to work my way into sometime...
Tideview (owned by a fruit/veg farm) and Stutz (owned by a winery) are producing what the locals call "hard cider" in the Valley near Wolfville. "Cider" is generally used to describe unfiltered, and sometimes unpasteurised, apple juice.

http://www.tideviewcider.ca/
http://stutzcider.com/wp/

I can't say I have seen a big local market for hard cider but that's not to say it doesn't exist, can't be created or that there isn't an export market. Microbreweries on the other hand all seem to say they can't meet demand for their beer.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
To answer the OP's original question; its 3,500 miles away from here.
not really the thread for you then?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Things to do - picnic at the beach, explore the South Shore, day at the lakes, wander round the wildlife park
Places to go - Melmerby, Mahone Bay, Grand Lake, Peggys Cove (only been here 6 months so list is growing)
Drives - scenic South Shore drive is beautiful, even my drive home up the 102 is pleasant
Coffee shops - rather liking Tim Hortons, there French toast cinammon bagel is scrumptious.
Come to the South Shore anytime
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:58 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Melmerby is my local beach and it is simply beautiful. I hear ya re the new TH French toast cinnamon bagels
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:39 am
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

I'm lucky enough to live on the South Shore and work in Mahone Bay
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:48 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stonedog
I'm lucky enough to live on the South Shore and work in Mahone Bay
How fabulous! I am jealous!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

How fabulous! I am jealous!
Does anyone know what Wolfville is like and the surrounding area? There's meant to be a good school there for my son that has Dyslexia. We can't afford to live in Vancouver and pay for private fees but probably could if we lived in Novia Scotia. Thanks,
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:48 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sazzer
Does anyone know what Wolfville is like and the surrounding area? There's meant to be a good school there for my son that has Dyslexia. We can't afford to live in Vancouver and pay for private fees but probably could if we lived in Novia Scotia. Thanks,
are you referring to Kings Edgehill school in Windsor?, which is nearby to Wolfville? Windsor and Wolfville are really nice towns in the valley area of NS, though they are rural towns and do not have all the amenities etc of Halifax. Would you need to work as this could influence where you move to depending on what you do. If you would need to be nearer Halifax then I can also recommend Bridgeway Academy school.

Do you have your visa's etc already?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
are you referring to Kings Edgehill school in Windsor?, which is nearby to Wolfville? Windsor and Wolfville are really nice towns in the valley area of NS, though they are rural towns and do not have all the amenities etc of Halifax. Would you need to work as this could influence where you move to depending on what you do. If you would need to be nearer Halifax then I can also recommend Bridgeway Academy school.

Do you have your visa's etc already?
The school is called Landmark East School based in Wolfville. We have Canadian citizenship and I have my own business, which I can move anywhere as long as I have a the internet and good courier service.

I'm a little concern Wolfville and the surrounding areas are rural towns as my kids will be hitting the tweenie / teenage years soon and probably want lots happening around them. Although as suspect, as long as there are some good ice hockey teams to join they would probably be happy.

Another concern is moving to NS is the weather. We lived in Calgary and I got feed up with the snow and extreme cold weather, hence we moved to Vancouver.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

The school is called Landmark East School based in Wolfville. We have Canadian citizenship and I have my own business, which I can move anywhere as long as I have a the internet and good courier service.

I'm a little concern Wolfville and the surrounding areas are rural towns as my kids will be hitting the tweenie / teenage years soon and probably want lots happening around them. Although as suspect, as long as there are some good ice hockey teams to join they would probably be happy.

Another concern is moving to NS is the weather. We lived in Calgary and I got feed up with the snow and extreme cold weather, hence we moved to Vancouver.
The defining characteristic of Wolfville is not that it is in a rural area, it's that Acadia University is in the centre of it. The university provides amenities and cultural events not normally found in a small town and when the students are here the population of 3,700 pretty much doubles. Combined with summer tourism this gives Wolfville a fair amount of vibrancy throughout the year.

Does all this make it an exciting place to be a teenager? Probably not but there should be plenty to do. My kids are only 3 and 5 so I can't comment first hand.

As for the weather, if it's good enough for the melons, peaches, grapes etc. that they grow around here it's good enough for me. Having lived in Winnipeg, Ottawa and the north of England I would take the weather here any day.

All in all, I think Wolfville is a great town. How could it be better? Pete's Frootique. Opening in May 2012. Brilliant.

http://www.petesfrootique.com/index.php
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats encouraging to hear your thoughts on the weather.

I too live in Calgary and this will be my 4th winter. they are warning already of a very bad winter, jeeeeeezzzz 2 out of the last 3 were horrendous.
I have had long exposures to the -30s + and snow here in June (6th June D Day watching the parades on BBC news whilst it miserably snowed in my garden).

The winters just seem to go on and on with no let up, blue skies yes but still to long. I then find it a very short inconsistant summer then back to winter.

Would you say you get the 4 seasons there?

Love the news on the beaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.