British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   NS summers and humidity... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ns-summers-humidity-678373/)

izzi81 Jul 26th 2010 4:41 pm

NS summers and humidity...

Just wondering what we were getting ourselves in for as far as humid weather goes in NS? Where we are here (Glasgow) has been pretty unpleasant this summer with humid weather, and it's not unusual. I've read a few things here and there saying that NS can have humid hot days as well :blink: Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? We've visited twice but never in the summer!

BristolUK Jul 26th 2010 4:53 pm

Re: NS summers and humidity...

I guess it's similar here. Sometimes I can walk out of an air conditioned store and my specs steam up.

You know what happens to spectacles coming in from the cold...think in reverse. :blink:

Aircon in the home is extremely useful.

Merry Jul 26th 2010 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 8729700)
I guess it's similar here. Sometimes I can walk out of an air conditioned store and my specs steam up.

You know what happens to spectacles coming in from the cold...think in reverse. :blink:

Aircon in the home is extremely useful.

I grew up in Glasgow but don't recall any humidity (not unless you count the rain!) - that said, my parents are still there and have said it's been hotter at times this year. I can't comment fully on NS because this is our first summer here but so far, it seems fine to me and I wouldn't even have considered AC. Maybe I'll suddenly be in for a surprise though! Was in Florida last week and our AC there broke down - now that was unpleasant! Unless I'm very wrong, I don't think humidity in NS is a major worry.

spaceace Jul 26th 2010 6:49 pm

It has been what I would class as pleasantly hot over the last few weeks, we are regulars at the local lake to cool down, 'tis great :)

Not sure it's quite air-con temp just yet, but we've had the ceiling and pedestal fans on in the house and bedrooms. If it gets too uncomfortable, I just go in the basement for a bit where it's noticeably cooler:thumbsup:

nikki dreaming Jul 26th 2010 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 8729892)
It has been what I would class as pleasantly hot over the last few weeks, we are regulars at the local lake to cool down, 'tis great :)

Not sure it's quite air-con temp just yet, but we've had the ceiling and pedestal fans on in the house and bedrooms. If it gets too uncomfortable, I just go in the basement for a bit where it's noticeably cooler:thumbsup:

completely agree re the basement:thumbup:

Its not been that bad , the odd really sticky day, but you get by, the majority of the days have just been really hot compared to really humid

johngrimes Jul 26th 2010 11:56 pm

Hi

The weather has been a bit freaky this year.:ohmy:

Go swimming in the sea. That will cool you down.

John

Simon Legree Jul 27th 2010 1:21 pm

The humidity here is nothing compared with Ontario. Air conditioning is more of a luxury here whereas in Ontario life would be miserable without it, especially when trying to sleep. :)

Tuppence Jul 27th 2010 1:25 pm

I've found this summer easy in NS. Usually there are at least a couple of weeks in July when I rant about our decision not to get a heat pump, but this year, I haven't even had the fan on in the bedroom. It's either not as humid this year, or I've acclimatized.

el_richo Jul 27th 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 8731900)
I've found this summer easy in NS. Usually there are at least a couple of weeks in July when I rant about our decision not to get a heat pump, but this year, I haven't even had the fan on in the bedroom. It's either not as humid this year, or I've acclimatized.

I have a fan in the bedroom. I used to turn it on most nights but these days it tends to be slightly less. :o

rach_woz99 Jul 27th 2010 1:58 pm

Actually, I have found this summer, or at least the last few weeks (although the weather has changed in the last few days) incredibly humid. We went all over the place looking for an air conditioner, not to be had - I think this is because we need a portable one, our old house has windows that won't hold a window model.

Having said that, I am eight months pregnant, so may be the wrong person to ask!!
:)

engineer80 Jul 27th 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by izzi81 (Post 8729673)
Just wondering what we were getting ourselves in for as far as humid weather goes in NS? Where we are here (Glasgow) has been pretty unpleasant this summer with humid weather, and it's not unusual. I've read a few things here and there saying that NS can have humid hot days as well :blink: Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? We've visited twice but never in the summer!

We live in Glasgow too and I agree the humidity has been pretty bad :eek: Our little one has had so much trouble sleeping and wakes up all clammy!

izzi81 Jul 27th 2010 6:13 pm

thanks everyone, sounds like it's not too bad if fans are enough to deal with it - and another use for basements!

engineer80 - another Glasgow escapee hopeful :) yeah I hate the summers here because I just end up wishing they were over! Don't like the stuffyness :thumbdown:

Cookie Jul 27th 2010 11:54 pm

Most people I know use a dehumidifier in the basement because of the humidty. We empty our 50 pint bucket at least 3-4 times a day. Dehumidifiers reduce the temp down a quite a few degees which is good.

We also have a portable air conditioner for our main level but have not had to use it too much this summer so far. We do use fans and have to sleep with our windows wide open and ceiling fan on. The humidity makes your bedding feel damp and so do your clothes.

swoops Jul 28th 2010 3:39 am

"Dehumidifier" :thumbsup: Best bit of kit we've brought..We empty our 40 pint twice a day..the basement is our coolest room :cool:

Strawberry Jul 28th 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8731936)
I have a fan in the bedroom. I used to turn it on most nights but these days it tends to be slightly less. :o

:rofl::rofl: ;)