British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   NS south shore, what's it really like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ns-south-shore-whats-really-like-729403/)

heading-west Aug 20th 2011 10:21 pm

NS south shore, what's it really like?

Just idling away the hours/days/weeks/months until CIC decide they cannot live without us :blink:

We have decided that NS is where we want to be, but property prices really vary a lot around the whole province. Some really big properties are available for very cheap $ in Yarmouth, Shelburne etc and I wondered what is it really like to live there?
I know we have done the fog thing to death and back again, but I'm curious to know what the differences are between seasons, weather/tourism/shopping/jobs

TIA

Sharon

Flogger Aug 21st 2011 1:53 am

Re: NS south shore, what's it really like?

Originally Posted by heading-west (Post 9572524)
Just idling away the hours/days/weeks/months until CIC decide they cannot live without us :blink:

We have decided that NS is where we want to be, but property prices really vary a lot around the whole province. Some really big properties are available for very cheap $ in Yarmouth, Shelburne etc and I wondered what is it really like to live there?
I know we have done the fog thing to death and back again, but I'm curious to know what the differences are between seasons, weather/tourism/shopping/jobs

TIA

Sharon

I believe they have a Frenchy's and a walmart in Yarmouth.

Job wise, not much.

Tangram Aug 21st 2011 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9572824)
I believe they have a Frenchy's and a walmart in Yarmouth.

Job wise, not much.

Sort of like North Wales then.

heading-west Aug 21st 2011 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9572910)
Sort of like North Wales then.

lol we just left north wales :eek:

furreal Aug 21st 2011 3:18 am

Are you ready to retire cause its very laid back..:huh:

heading-west Aug 21st 2011 3:53 am

Originally Posted by furreal (Post 9572942)
Are you ready to retire cause its very laid back..:huh:

laid back is good, desolate not so good ;)

heading-west Aug 21st 2011 3:55 am

for the benefit of those that think I may have totally lost the plot, just thought I would add that we are considering others areas as well :thumbup:

Tangram Aug 21st 2011 4:35 am

Originally Posted by heading-west (Post 9572928)
lol we just left north wales :eek:

You missed the irony didn't you.

heading-west Aug 21st 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9573047)
You missed the irony didn't you.

oh you got me lol :rofl:

Howefamily Aug 22nd 2011 4:21 am

we were discussing Yarmouth at work this morning and apparently its quiet, very pretty and has some good schools. Kids can walk everywhere and there are restaurants, I was told its the same size as Truro and Windsor.
Apparently they are starting up the Yarmouth to US Ferry next year again and that will help the area.
Hope this helps a bit.

As for fog - theres alot of fog near Halifax, I am sure there cant be any more than that down there. Besides, its makes the lakes look very pretty - all sepia like.

heading-west Aug 22nd 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9575080)
we were discussing Yarmouth at work this morning and apparently its quiet, very pretty and has some good schools. Kids can walk everywhere and there are restaurants, I was told its the same size as Truro and Windsor.
Apparently they are starting up the Yarmouth to US Ferry next year again and that will help the area.
Hope this helps a bit.

As for fog - theres alot of fog near Halifax, I am sure there cant be any more than that down there. Besides, its makes the lakes look very pretty - all sepia like.

Thankyou, I kind of wondered what its like outside the tourism season as well. I think we have decided its a bit far out for us, perhaps worth a visit for a holiday or something.

Howefamily Aug 22nd 2011 11:20 am

have you looked at Hubbards or Chester? Chester can be pricey but there are afordable homes there, its 45 mins from Halifax. They are both gorgeous, there is a great real estate site for that area called www.tradewindsrealty.com

Anywhere along the South Shore has my vote

Silverdragon102 Aug 22nd 2011 11:25 am

I guess a lot depends on what you want. I live 2 hours from Halifax and that is OK with me, I probably go down there twice a year but not something absolutely necessary. I live not far from the NB border and there is plenty around where I live to do. We have a large house and plenty of acres for a cost that was well less than we expected. Several beaches within 10-20 minutes. We have the rural setting we wanted but easy access to Amherst, Pugwash and Moncton where I can get everything that I need.

Howefamily Aug 22nd 2011 11:44 am

oooh are you near Melmerby Beach and Parrsboro Silver Dragon? Melmerby is my current most favourite beach

Flogger Aug 22nd 2011 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9575080)
Hope this helps a bit.

I shouldn't think that IF the ferry does come back to yarmouth it will make much difference as nobody uses it. One would expect that pretty much the whole town would still be unemployed.