Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS Recce booked - any contacts greatly appreciated

NS Recce booked - any contacts greatly appreciated

Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default NS Recce booked - any contacts greatly appreciated

After talking and stressing about it we have finally booked our recce to NS for the end of May. Its strange because I was uming and aring about whether to go, when to go etc but as soon as I booked the flights I felt a huge relief and a wave of excitement. Now I have to get my thinking head on and get organised for the trip. I have printed loads of the wiki docs off so I'm just trawling through them to make sure everything is in order before we go.

I was just wondering if there is any 'expat meet ups' taking place in NS at the time we are there (19 - 28 May).

I appreciate the key is networking so if anyone (or indeed anyone who knows of anyone) that would be willing to share their experience and provide any tips on a successful recce I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:53 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: NS Recce booked - any contacts greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by Smudger75
After talking and stressing about it we have finally booked our recce to NS for the end of May. Its strange because I was uming and aring about whether to go, when to go etc but as soon as I booked the flights I felt a huge relief and a wave of excitement. Now I have to get my thinking head on and get organised for the trip. I have printed loads of the wiki docs off so I'm just trawling through them to make sure everything is in order before we go.

I was just wondering if there is any 'expat meet ups' taking place in NS at the time we are there (19 - 28 May).

I appreciate the key is networking so if anyone (or indeed anyone who knows of anyone) that would be willing to share their experience and provide any tips on a successful recce I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Good luck with your reccie, a little too early for us as we're making the move in July.
Where are you intending to look?

Colin
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default Re: NS Recce booked - any contacts greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by budcolin
Good luck with your reccie, a little too early for us as we're making the move in July.
Where are you intending to look?

Colin
Thanks Colin.

Whilst we are there we are staying in a cottage in Hubbards, so I would like to explore that area, but also Fall River and Bedford.

Job wise we're going to try for the Halifax area so we'll be looking anywhere within commuter distance.

When you say you're making the move in July, is that it, the big, out there for good move? If so, you lucky things you. Whereabouts are you hoping to settle?

Nic
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:17 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Thanks Colin.

Whilst we are there we are staying in a cottage in Hubbards, so I would like to explore that area, but also Fall River and Bedford.

Job wise we're going to try for the Halifax area so we'll be looking anywhere within commuter distance.

When you say you're making the move in July, is that it, the big, out there for good move? If so, you lucky things you. Whereabouts are you hoping to settle?

Nic
Yes Nic, the big move in July.Work for me will be Halifax, so within a reasonable distance too.Fall River area is where we explored most on previous visits, but i think we'll have another scout around as we'll be renting to begin with.
North of Fall River towards Wellington and Oakfield is worth a look too if you have time.

Colin
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Yes Nic, the big move in July.Work for me will be Halifax, so within a reasonable distance too.Fall River area is where we explored most on previous visits, but i think we'll have another scout around as we'll be renting to begin with.
North of Fall River towards Wellington and Oakfield is worth a look too if you have time.

Colin
That's great Colin, thanks, we'll definitely head that way.

It definitely makes sense to rent a little while, fingers crossed if we finally get there, that's what we'll do. Its the only way to get a good idea of somewhere, plus you're not committing to that location if it doesn't work out.

Have you managed to secure employment already? Do you mind if I ask what line of business you are in?

Nic
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Hi,

We have booked our NS recce for September. We would love to hear about your experiences out there, and be more than happy for any advice!

Good luck with it all!

Lady Locket
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
Hi,

We have booked our NS recce for September. We would love to hear about your experiences out there, and be more than happy for any advice!

Good luck with it all!

Lady Locket
Of course, will definitely share our experience with you all, its so daunting but exciting at the same time!

Hope you have a great time too.

Nic
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Thanks - we are so looking forward to it!

My hubby still has reservations - especially about working in his field out there - but we are hoping a recce with some informal chats with potential employers will help. I can imagine there is so much to think about before you go... I have lists coming out of my ears and we are not even going out there until September!

Have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Hi,

We moved from Southampton to Hubbards, if there's anything we can help with just send a pm.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Thanks

We live in Hammonds Plains North West of Bedford (15Minutes) Daughter schools in Bedford, Son in Hammonds Plains, If You want help, or to chat PM Me, and we can do telephone or MSN video conference.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:10 am
Wellington NS

That's great Colin, thanks, we'll definitely head that way.

It definitely makes sense to rent a little while, fingers crossed if we finally get there, that's what we'll do. Its the only way to get a good idea of somewhere, plus you're not committing to that location if it doesn't work out.

Have you managed to secure employment already? Do you mind if I ask what line of business you are in?

Nic
I'm in the building trade Nic, and there seems to be plenty work going on around Dartmouth and Halifax, so it should be alright..
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:02 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the building trade Nic, and there seems to be plenty work going on around Dartmouth and Halifax, so it should be alright..
You got those stilts on yet? There is another new British lad starting now as a taper - seems we are taking over the company!!!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

we're hoping to come over in sept for a recce. what date are u going? maybe we could arrange a expats meet up nearer the time?

Helen

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
Hi,

Good luck with it all!

Lady Locket
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:10 pm
Wellington NS

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You got those stilts on yet? There is another new British lad starting now as a taper - seems we are taking over the company!!!
No stilts yet.I thought i'd be able to hire a pair but no joy.
If only the circus were in town.That's the plan, we'll sneak in one at a time and then take over
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen,

We haven't booked the flights yet, but we are looking at the second to third week of September, probably flying out mid week...

When are you guys going? Would be more than happy to meet up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.