Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS RDA's and beers!!

NS RDA's and beers!!

Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of
Default NS RDA's and beers!!

Hi all, we are planning to come over to NS on a reccie at the end of August. As we are planning to use the CI stream, would it wrong talking to more than one RDA when we come over? Having not been to NS yet we are unsure what area will float our boat so don't want to restrict ourselves by heading for one area?

Also, anyone want to meet up when we get over there to give us some pointers on living in NS. Coffee or beers would do fine!! We'll be bringing our 2 kids, 12 and 9 (they don't drink coffee or beer! yet) so it would be great if we could meet with some of you fine peeps who have also emigrated with ankle-biters!!
Big Stevo

Last edited by Big Stevo; Jun 4th 2008 at 1:39 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS RDA's and beers!!

Oooooo, that will be my first meet up as an NS resident. We move over late July/early August with our 2 youngest boys ages 13 and 7.

If you arrange a time and date I will definitely try to be there.

BTW, I think that you are right to keep your options open until you have had a good look around. we have decided to settle in a completely different part of NS than where we expect to before we visited.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Oooooo, that will be my first meet up as an NS resident. We move over late July/early August with our 2 youngest boys ages 13 and 7.

If you arrange a time and date I will definitely try to be there.

BTW, I think that you are right to keep your options open until you have had a good look around. we have decided to settle in a completely different part of NS than where we expect to before we visited.
Thanks for the reply. Which route did you take to get to NS?
cheers
Steve
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
cheers
Steve
Will let you know definate dates when we book the flights.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Hi Steve

We went to see 3 different RDA's when we went over - all had different approaches and all in 3 completely different areas!

Kings County - for Kentville/Wolfville
Colchester County - for Truro
Pictou County - for New Glasgow

However, I did my homework in each area and also visited job centres to get an idea of what was going on for both me & my OH. So I guess it depends what sort of work you are looking for.

We told each RDA that we were looking in each of the other areas and this seemed to give us more credibility.Though obviously we were always extremely positive with the town we were in at the time!!!

Lynda
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynpy
Hi Steve

We went to see 3 different RDA's when we went over - all had different approaches and all in 3 completely different areas!

Kings County - for Kentville/Wolfville
Colchester County - for Truro
Pictou County - for New Glasgow

However, I did my homework in each area and also visited job centres to get an idea of what was going on for both me & my OH. So I guess it depends what sort of work you are looking for.

We told each RDA that we were looking in each of the other areas and this seemed to give us more credibility.Though obviously we were always extremely positive with the town we were in at the time!!!

Lynda
Many thanks for your reply Lynda, I think that's the way we are going to play it.
Which area did you prefer, and are you going via the CI Stream?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Many thanks for your reply Lynda, I think that's the way we are going to play it.
Which area did you prefer, and are you going via the CI Stream?
Yes we are going the CI route, in fact about to apply tomorrow - all paperwork now sorted.

We're applying to Colchester because my OH is a guitar teacher and they are serioulsy in need of a teacher in Truro! Also, lots of help from Margot the RDA contact which makes a BIG difference!

However, for me, (I've an Admin background) I think I'd find more work in New Glasgow as they seem to be actively encouraging new business there and we all liked the area (including the 2 kids 12 + 9! ). The RDA seemed fine and we actually made the appointment whilst passing! But they are not as uptodate as the other 2 RDA's so if you go here make it last on you list and get your info from other more 'on the ball' RDA's.

Kentville and Wolfville - we all liked both places and seem to have a lot going for them, but I think you may find that you need a 'bit more ongoing contact' with the RDA - but with a push you may be able to convince her that you don't need a 2nd visit!

Lynda
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Steve
We have an application in the the SW route but we got impatient so I got a job and we are coming over on a WP then hoping to fast-track the PR.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We have an application in the the SW route but we got impatient so I got a job and we are coming over on a WP then hoping to fast-track the PR.
Hi all, thanks for your replies.

Slight change of plan, we're off on our reccie on the 24th June till the 3rd July!!
That's 2 and a half weeks away!! Whoooooo hoo
Now looking for places to stay around Truro and Annapolis area as we plan to stay at a couple of different places. Any reccomendations anyone?
Trying to keep to a cheapish budget if we can.

Sorry destinationnovascotia, it looks like will beat you out there so will miss out on a get together - sorry!

It would be great if we could meet up with a some of you fine peeps that have made the move or are also going out at the same time.
Just let me know if anyone fancies it.
Also, can anyone recommend some things to do with the kids while we're out there, my boy is 12 and my daughter will be 9. I'd like to keep them amused as we'll be doing a bit of driving meeting different contacts.

thanks all

Steve
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi Stevo

As my two are exactly the same ages as yours and although they were really good they did get bored!

However, we hired a Grand Caravan, in fact we upgraded from the cheapest smallest car, and it came with a Dvd player so we bought DVD's from Walmart and Atlantic superstores in Truro - about $5 each. The kids also had their DS with them.

We went bowling quite a lot - $20 one hour & four pairs of shoes - New Minas nr Kentville and Bible HIll, Truro.

They both loved Shubenacadie wildlife park and the Discovery centre at Halifax.

Accomodation - I booked self catering/housekeeping apts, as I find eating out too expensive for 4, also it's not as convenient as having a fridge full of food for a 12yr old that's going through a continual growth spurt! Also, was cheaper than 2 rooms in a B&B.

We stayed at www.Irwinlakechalets.com (8 mins from Truro) and got a great deal for 8 nights - but that was in May. We booked the 1 bed chalet as we were on a budget and it was gorgeous! It's also fab for kids, as you can rent canoes, or the pedaloe - and although it wont be in the chalet you can ask for a tv and video player and borrow videos from the office. There is also a gas bbq. No need to take any linen as it's all supplied and I also got to use their washer & dryer - which with 2 kids was a bonus and very convenient!

If you'd rather book a motel in Truro, be careful as some of them aren't in nice situations ie, one next to the Trans Highway and the other next to some sort of factory. Ok for a night or so, but perhaps not so nice for a longer stay.

Annapolis Valley - Check out the Beachbreeze motel in Grand Pre, www.beachbreezemotel.ca just a short drive from Wolfville. It's right on the sea edge, has a swimming pool for the summer season, bbq etc. The house keeping units are fully equipped - very simple, homely and spotless. I couldn't fault it. The guy, Don, is really helpful and used to be a head teacher in Halifax so full of useful info!

Have a good trip!
Lynda
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Annapolis Valley - Check out the Beachbreeze motel in Grand Pre, www.beachbreezemotel.ca just a short drive from Wolfville. It's right on the sea edge, has a swimming pool for the summer season, bbq etc. The house keeping units are fully equipped - very simple, homely and spotless. I couldn't fault it. The guy, Don, is really helpful and used to be a head teacher in Halifax so full of useful info!

Have a good trip!
Lynda
I was there last week to scout it out. I agree, very nice location, and very friendly owners! They said it was $75 per room and $95 for the housekeeping units with a water view. The pool won't be in operation for a while since it cracked during the last winter and needs repair.
What do you mean by "homely" though? I didn't think it was so ugly.. It's not new, but ...
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
What do you mean by "homely" though? I didn't think it was so ugly.. It's not new, but ...
That's the classic British / Canada "homely" confusion. Brits mean 'it feels like home', i.e. comfortable and nice, the Canadians would be offended as it means 'ugly and a bit crappy'.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tuppence
That's the classic British / Canada "homely" confusion. Brits mean 'it feels like home', i.e. comfortable and nice, the Canadians would be offended as it means 'ugly and a bit crappy'.
Thanks for clearing that up Tuppence, I was getting a bit confused myself!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woodworm
I was there last week to scout it out. I agree, very nice location, and very friendly owners! They said it was $75 per room and $95 for the housekeeping units with a water view. The pool won't be in operation for a while since it cracked during the last winter and needs repair.

Well I'm English, and I 've used the word 'homely' in the way I always have - cozy, comfortable, unpretentious, feeling of home.

Also I said that I couldn't fault it.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Well I'm English, and I 've used the word 'homely' in the way I always have - cozy, comfortable, unpretentious, feeling of home.

Also I said that I couldn't fault it.
Hi Lynpy, many thanks for the tips. It's always good to hear how others got on when they went to NS. I think we'll be giving both the places you mentioned a look, as well as the wildlife park and bowling. The wild life park seems quite cheap as well, it would cost us over £40 to go to Colchester Zoo!!
Its a good tip about upgrading the car as well, did you book your car with your flights?
Did you all sleep in the same room in the chalets if it was a one bedroom??
Not sure about that one!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.