Now you live in Canada ...

Old May 4th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

wilderness pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Now you live in Canada ...

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Also the lack of a decent sausage

and dont forget the bacon.

Booze has become slightly better priced since I arrived, though even $10 a bottle for red plonk still seems too much to me, though I was used to french prices.

TV I have found to be not too bad if you look around.
Yes the adverts are on too long but the Canadian period drama series are excellent, and for those of a less sophisticated taste you still get your Corrie.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilderness pete
TV I have found to be not too bad if you look around.
Yes the adverts are on too long but the Canadian period drama series are excellent, and for those of a less sophisticated taste you still get your Corrie.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2006924/

The shows "worth watching" yesterday were Jamie Oliver cooking something and Are You Being Served?
Old May 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

life in canada for me has provoked a change from the expression, 'not enough hours in the day' to 'not enough years in a lifetime'.

i guess with all things considered, what with my being someone who lives for playing / watching hockey (on ice) snowboarding, the ocean, the beach, the forests, chasing bears, watching eagles, baiting badgers...... a move to canadia was a good idea.

being happy to tolerate molson canadian and not lamenting a change in bacon 'style' has no impact and despite words to the contrary (and majority) whilst cheese selection in Lower BC is different to that of the UK, i dont find it to be neither better nor worse.

and so life in canada boring? hells no! but i guess it depends on what sort of person you are?
Old May 4th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

wilderness pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
life in canada for me has provoked a change from the expression, 'not enough hours in the day' to 'not enough years in a lifetime'.

i guess with all things considered, what with my being someone who lives for playing / watching hockey (on ice) snowboarding, the ocean, the beach, the forests, chasing bears, watching eagles, baiting badgers...... a move to canadia was a good idea.

being happy to tolerate molson canadian and not lamenting a change in bacon 'style' has no impact and despite words to the contrary (and majority) whilst cheese selection in Lower BC is different to that of the UK, i dont find it to be neither better nor worse.

and so life in canada boring? hells no! but i guess it depends on what sort of person you are?
I agree, if you are an outdoors kind of person, well you have to love it here, even when it snows.

Still not seen a bear yet, and I assume your using the badgers for forum fishing.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
Do you find it boring?
Only when it rains, or/and when Aaron Solomon & a certain Mr Capstick appear on the same TV program. Other than that I'm pretty occupied....
Old May 4th 2011, 4:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Also the lack of a decent sausage
You sound like my wife
Old May 4th 2011, 4:52 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You sound like my wife
yea, i thought that

runs!
Old May 4th 2011, 4:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It's not Canada's fault your sausage needs improving.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilderness pete
Still not seen a bear yet
Saw six in the garden over the past week. One of the buggers tried to eat our steaks off the BBQ
Attached Thumbnails Now you live in Canada ...-photo-71-.jpg  

Last edited by el_richo; May 4th 2011 at 5:27 pm.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Saw six in the garden over the past week. One of the buggers tried to eat our steaks off the BBQ
I hope you gave him a slap
Old May 4th 2011, 6:18 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I hope you gave him a slap
I stood behind my father-in-law like a coward while he waved an axe at the bear. The bear just grunted and wandered off to eat some bird seeds (in the picture).

The steak was beautiful, i might add
Old May 4th 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
I have to jump in and defend Canadian beer. The national beers, such as Molson, taste like warm piss, but the local beers out here puts the UK stuff to shame. It's one of my favourite things about the Pacific Northwest.

It is really over priced, but keep in mind it is also pretty under priced in the UK. Somewhere inbetween would be nice.

Anyways, where were we? Canada.. boring.. carry on.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonfiction
It is really over priced, but keep in mind it is also pretty under priced in the UK. Somewhere inbetween would be nice.
How can it be underpriced if it's produced commercially? How would it benefit the consumer to increase the price?
Old May 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
How can it be underpriced if it's produced commercially? How would it benefit the consumer to increase the price?
I believe the argument here in BC, and presumably Canada, is that keeping the cost of alcohol artificially high helps to reduce drinking problems. There is so many things wrong with the system here and I would like to see it deregulated to allow cheaper prices, especially for domestically produced wines and beers as they can't compete with imported stuff.

However, IMO I believe it can get cheap enough to solely take advantage of the vulnerable. No one is buying Tesco value beer for the taste, they're buying it to get wasted and probably feed a dependency. I often felt it was quantity over quality with the UK's alcohol consumption.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by simonfiction
However, IMO I believe it can get cheap enough to solely take advantage of the vulnerable. No one is buying Tesco value beer for the taste, they're buying it to get wasted and probably feed a dependency. I often felt it was quantity over quality with the UK's alcohol consumption.
Not, IMO, a problem that goes away with price variations, people just cut their beer with something cheaper; crack or meth or glue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.