Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Now you live in Canada ...

Now you live in Canada ...

Old May 3rd 2011, 1:35 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now you live in Canada ...

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
But it's so expensive. I ponder that all those moving to Canada "for the children'" don't realise that they are condemning their kids to a life of crackerbarrel and black diamond.
That may be the case in Newfoundland but it's certainly not the case in the GTA or Montreal and many other places.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:38 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
That may be the case in Newfoundland but it's certainly not the case in the GTA or Montreal and many other places.
Your smugness on the availability and cheapness of cheese is almost dbd33like in it's intensity. Still, I can get cod cheeks and seal flipper pie easier than you.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:12 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Your smugness on the availability and cheapness of cheese is almost dbd33like in it's intensity. Still, I can get cod cheeks and seal flipper pie easier than you.
It may be easier for the cod cheeks and seal flipper pie, but both are available in Toronto along with multi varieties of cheese, whereas according to you, you're stuck with Black Diamond and Crackerbarrel.
BTW I've been to Newfoundland and you're selling the Province short when it comes to how many cheeses are available there.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:34 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

You not that keen on Canada then ehh Mrs. B

I get the question, sort of, yes Canada can become the norm, after time things don't look new and different like they did on holiday all them years ago.

But boring ? Well NO.

Got no time to be bored, too much to do.

Last edited by magnumpi; May 3rd 2011 at 2:38 am.
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
Do you find it boring?
Yes most of the time. Peppered with isolated thrills, but isn't that life?
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:22 am
Banned

rob.blackie is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that I live in Canada, I don't find it a boring at all.

Vancouver is clean, green and beautiful, it has been the best move I've ever made. The only thing I do miss, is the train - yes, we do have the SkyTrain, but its nothing like National Rail!!

Whilst I do like driving, sometimes it's just too much if I'm driving to Calgary or something. One of the nice things is that we're just across from the States, so shopping is cheap too - not like here in the UK where they've got 20% sales tax!!

Hence why I'm not going to be shopping much in my stay here in the UK!
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt say boring, id say same s*** different smell as England really.

Life can be monotonous in general no matter where you live!
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It may be easier for the cod cheeks and seal flipper pie, but both are available in Toronto along with multi varieties of cheese, whereas according to you, you're stuck with Black Diamond and Crackerbarrel.
BTW I've been to Newfoundland and you're selling the Province short when it comes to how many cheeses are available there.
Oh, all manner of cheese can be had here if you look for it. Cheese consumption is an expensive proposition here though compared to elsewhere.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:31 am
Just Joined

wilderness pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry everyone, but when you consider the differing social cultures of UK and Canada, I find the question perfectly sensible.

I also find it a bit irksome some of the hostility shown to some one for asking such an obvious question.

To reply to the OP. As a single person yes it can be boring at times.
In Nova Scotia the pubs are all in Halifax and most of the down town pubs are not my cup of tea.

I am not saying I am one of those who live in a pub as some do in the UK, but it is nice to get a bit of company at times, especially in the winter.
In the rural areas the only place most of the time for a beer and to meet people is the Legion, and to be honest most are not worth bothering with.
Either they are dead or full of brits.

I would think if some one did a survey out of those who went back or even thought of going back, I think boredom and loneliness would be a big part of the reason why.

If it were not that the language is english here, I would expect a lot more wouldnt make it.

By the way I am not one of those who arrive here who have never traveled, lived or worked abroad before, far from it in fact.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:42 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the high price of alcohol is a major determinate of boredom in Canada. It's a shame really.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

And Crap TV.

Well it's crap when you get here for the first time because you cannot relate to whats on.

Then after time goes by, well it still crap But you can relate to it, so its crap that you can relate too.

Clear as mud.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:18 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Who the heck are you Bucket Woman????

I would wager this is a re-run of another persona.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:07 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the high price of alcohol is a major determinate of boredom in Canada. It's a shame really.
Also the lack of a decent sausage
Old May 4th 2011, 10:25 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be bored in Canada!! But the blasted Paris office are not going to let me be bored there for the next 6 to 12 months!!! Life can be bloody boring anywhere, but that being said, I don't think 'I' have ever have felt bored. 'Bored' is a word that has just become very popular with some of my kids ten year old mates, who seem to think that anything less than hot and cold running entertainment 'is' boring. Why do you feel bored Mrs. B? Did you feel bored before you went to Canada? Have you lost your sense or curiosity? Are your family bored too, or just you?
Old May 4th 2011, 11:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Also the lack of a decent sausage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.