Nova Scotia weather

Old May 5th 2014, 8:49 am
Just Joined

johnybravo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia weather

Hi

I read your post recently while researching a move to NS

Would you be able to elaborate on the differences in weather between UK and NS

staying warm is a big priority for my wife. Winter seems harsh, however like you said how often are you likely to be outside

Wikipedia does not seem to cover the climate bit that well

Are houses built well insulated ?
Old May 5th 2014, 10:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia weather

Hello and welcome to BE

I moved your post to a thread of it's own as the thread you had posted to was over a year old.

It is always better to start your own thread.

Old May 5th 2014, 10:57 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnybravo
Hi

Would you be able to elaborate on the differences in weather between UK and NS

Are houses built well insulated ?

A lot colder than UK in winter..... a lot warmer (and humid) than UK in summer. Hardly any Spring to speak of just a sudden move from Winter to Early Summer. Lots of big blue skies...... in winter and summer. This last winter was said to be a bad one by the locals with lots of snow storms but in reality it wasn't that bad. Some houses are well insulated..... it is part of the modern day building code but be wary of the lovely looking old houses.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

And that's exactly it...some houses are well insulated. The first house I lived in here was really chilly in winter! There was just no way to keep warm...where we live now is toasty!
But yes, last winter we had a least one day at -24 which is chilly to say the least
Old May 5th 2014, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that

Are there differences between say halifax and the west coast ?

House prices seem pretty low compared to the uk, is this because of a lower build quality? I have heard most of them are timber rather than brick and need more main tangency
Old May 5th 2014, 4:32 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that

House prices seem pretty low compared to the uk, is this because of a lower build quality? I have heard most of them are timber rather than brick and need more main tangency
House prices are much tied to the availability of work ! The bigger the labor market, the higher the cost of housing. Simple economics innit. Nothing to do with build quality. Most houses are indeed timber. That's because we have millions of trees and only one supplier of Bricks. The houses, newer ones at least, are built to withstand extreme weather conditions. My house is what they call an R2000 house. That has to do with the insulation among other things. It's basically wood and plastic ! It's been through two hurricanes with no problem. Not even a loose shingle. Because of my lifestyle it was built for minimum maintenance. Very little to paint to keep up. I wash it down in the spring and do any needed fixing. In 13 years I've had to do very little to the actual structure.
Old May 5th 2014, 4:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that

House prices tend to reflect the income levels for the area.

Brick houses are not the 'norm' in Canada apart from a few areas (Ontario tends to have a fair few) and turn of the century houses. It's not lower build quality, just a different way of building, wood framed houses are the more popular way of doing it in Canada. You can read more about the construction methods here: https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catalo...=1399307489011 and there are some useful links at the bottom of this page: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/grho/grho_010.cfm

Old May 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

I would advise if your wife doesn't like Winter then Canada isn't for you !!

In 7 years winter just gone was the worse I have experienced, coldest longest & most storms

Personally, I prefer the winters to the Spring where its grey, foggy, damp & depressing as at least you can get outside in Winter - not much to do in rain

But, it does tend to drag the last month or two - can last November-April but hey Calgary had snow last week after a day of 22 degrees I believe so who knows !
Old May 5th 2014, 7:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2
I would advise if your wife doesn't like Winter then Canada isn't for you !!
<Contemplates the 10cm of snow forecast for tomorrow, May 6th>

Agreed.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold

Its a different cold here. I too feel the cold badly but here I dont seem to have a problem unless it goes below - 12 then its brrrr for me. Its a dry cold and so much more pleasent than a damp cold.
Also if your wife can find a hobbie to do outside in the winter like skiing or snowshoeing it makes the winter much more fun and bearable. :-)
Old May 5th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

As a ball park figure how many days from November to April would the temperature be below freezing ?

How many of these months would you have snow on your drive ?

In halifax
Old May 5th 2014, 8:41 pm
Banned

As a ball park figure how many days from November to April would the temperature be below freezing ?

In halifax
Most of them!

https://weatherspark.com/history/282...-Scotia-Canada

Halifax:

Last edited by Siouxie; May 5th 2014 at 9:11 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

In halifax
You are going to have pretty much snow on the ground for the whole time - more or less & in the minus figures until about now !

In fact, I just Cindy Day the CTV weather lady state that there will be some flurries overnight tonight in some parts of NS 5th May !!
Old May 5th 2014, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In halifax
Old May 5th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2
You are going to have pretty much snow on the ground for the whole time - more or less & in the minus figures until about now !

In fact, I just Cindy Day the CTV weather lady state that there will be some flurries overnight tonight in some parts of NS 5th May !!
Please don't say that!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.