Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia to Victoria (maybe)

Nova Scotia to Victoria (maybe)

Old Feb 14th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia to Victoria (maybe)

I am looking for thoughts on moving to Victoria from NS. A colleague of mine has offered to sell me his condo at a good price and I think I would be stupid not to buy it from an investment point of view, although I wouldn't be allowed to rent it out, since it's an owner-occupied strata... It's close to Cook Street Village and I was just wondering if anyone had any input and thoughts on Victoria housing market for the next years... I haven't been following the markets, but would hate to sink all my money into a place that isn't worth it. Done that in NS and don't want to repeat...

Jobwise not a problem, I can live anywhere in Canada, but it has to be close to an airport. I did check all big cities for the same amount of money that I can invest and the loveliest condos came up in old town Quebec.... unfortunately the weather really sucks there, so not an option for me.. Calgary has high condo fees because of big heating bills, Toronto is not appealing to me, Montreal also not really appealing.. Vancouver out of price range... So it's Victoria or staying in NS...

Last edited by woodworm; Feb 14th 2018 at 4:52 pm. Reason: spacing
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:26 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia to Victoria (maybe)

Cook St Village is certainly one of the trendier areas of Victoria, but I think most would agree it's not much of a horse race. Victoria is lovely, but a bit dull. Also, there's a heck of a lot of development going on so I'm not sure what impact that will have on existing house prices.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

thanks rivingtonpike for that, are there any other areas on the island that are not as dull? Have looked at Nanaimo too, but couldn't get much of a feel from being there as a tourist. Looked a little dull too, I think I saw 2 pubs....
I LOVE Ucuelet and Tofino but too far from the airport and too wet most of the year. Campbell River too dull too and also too far from the airports.

PS... I am moving from a fishing village with 50 people, so anything might be an improvement in terms of social life... I have breathed in dull for a long time..

Last edited by woodworm; Feb 14th 2018 at 8:48 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria might be more exciting than Nanaimo.

Both have ferry connection to the Mainland, both have airports that connect with YVR for flights to rest of Canada and overseas.

The 'Murricans just loooooooooove Victoria because it is so English.

Translation ............. hanging baskets on all lamp posts, lots of flower beds, coffee and tea shops
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Cook Street Village? Go for it. I'd be more than content to move there, and while not as vibrant as a major metropolis, there's a lot more going on in Victoria than its tourism facade suggests. Good brewery scene, good music scene, good food and coffee. Cook Street Village means you can walk everywhere downtown so it's a rather central and convenient location. More bustling than Tofino and Ucluelet. You can do long weekends there if necessary. Long weekends in Cumberland and Courtenay too (which are more fun than Campbell River). Quick getaways to the Gulf Islands and Seattle are also possible. There are worse places to be. If you won't buy that place, I will.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Cook St village is a good area of the city, and not at all boring. Walk downtown, or to the water at Dallas Road. Airport is approx 40min drive depending on route and time of day.
Our house has almost doubled in value in the last 9 years. If you google house prices, you will see loads of reports on the markets here.
I'd say go for it.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:59 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlottyb
Cook St village is a good area of the city, and not at all boring. Walk downtown, or to the water at Dallas Road. Airport is approx 40min drive depending on route and time of day.
Our house has almost doubled in value in the last 9 years. If you google house prices, you will see loads of reports on the markets here.
I'd say go for it.
If I had to live in Victoria, Cook St Village or Oak Bay would be my preferred choice. I suppose I've got used to the quiet open spaces of a more rural slightly up Island location over the Malahat. There's no doubt house prices have certainly increased substantially in the last few years. I still can't think of anything non-boring about the area though. I would say the same about the whole Island. Don't get me wrong, I love living here, but I don't do so for the thrills or excitement of the experience. For that I think you'd have to go much further afield.