British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia V central UK.. who has most rain?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-v-central-uk-who-has-most-rain-774673/)

talb999 Oct 15th 2012 9:53 am

Nova Scotia V central UK.. who has most rain?!

Hi everyone.

Im hoping to have replies from Ex-Pats who have been resident in NS for a year plus to tell me their experience of just how much rain the NS has received against rainfall in central UK. From reading the web, NS appears to get a fair bit of the wet stuff on a yearly basis, but as that's only from figures on paper, I want people who have experienced it to drop me a line to give a true reflection.

Also, how bad (or not) is NS for high pollen count.. how bad do people with Hayfever suffer?

Thanks all.

Gaz.

jericho Oct 15th 2012 10:16 am

Re: Nova Scotia V central UK.. who has most rain?!

Originally Posted by talb999 (Post 10331551)
Hi everyone.

Im hoping to have replies from Ex-Pats who have been resident in NS for a year plus to tell me their experience of just how much rain the NS has received against rainfall in central UK. From reading the web, NS appears to get a fair bit of the wet stuff on a yearly basis, but as that's only from figures on paper, I want people who have experienced it to drop me a line to give a true reflection.

Also, how bad (or not) is NS for high pollen count.. how bad do people with Hayfever suffer?

Thanks all.

Gaz.

I've been here for just over a year, so I can only compare the last 12 months, but the UK certainly had a lot more rain.
Hayfever hasnt been a problem- the Province is practically blanketed by trees though.

Silverdragon102 Oct 15th 2012 11:11 am

Been here over 4 years, I remember more dry days than wet days especially during the summer. April/May can be wet but this year was a lot drier than previous years

smitp11 Oct 15th 2012 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by talb999 (Post 10331551)
Hi everyone.

Thanks all.

Gaz.

Hi,

NS has a higher annual rainfall than the UK, however, in NS it rains less frequently, so when it rains in NS the rain is usually heavier, make sense ?

Patrick

Lorry1 Oct 15th 2012 2:44 pm

Been here just over 5 years and generally summers are beautiful here although the humidity and bugs can be a killer.
Fall is normally the best season as it is nice and warm plus humidity and bugs have gone, but this year it has practically been constant rain since kids went back to school and last week was freezing.
Spring is just wet wet wet and everything remains dead until May/June time which can be depressing. We don't get nice colourful green grass with daffodils & bluebells in March/April here.
Winter is generally cold but sunny with blue sky and snow on the ground. Some days are just too damn cold with windchill that chills your bones no matter what you wear.

I think in the UK it rains drizzly horrible stuff all day but here we have downpours then the sun comes out.

I had hayfever in the UK the last few years but its weird it stopped when I got here, until this year when it came back with a vengence.

smitp11 Oct 15th 2012 6:12 pm

Spring is usually the most difficult time for me, my body clock tells me winter should be over and that the trees / plants should be budding, but this doesn't happen until later.

I was back in the UK in March and it was great to walk around in a light jacket, with leaves on the trees, no snow and everything greening up. The summers are better here than the UK, but with the humidity they can be oppressive also, at least for a few weeks.

In fact, there are only two seasons here, Winter and Bugs...! :D

talb999 Oct 16th 2012 6:24 am

Thanks everyone... just the info I was after.. and yes patrick, your comment makes perfect sense! That's was I was referring to when I meant figures on a website don't give a true reflection.. its alright reading the UK has for example, 50cm of rain throughout the year and NS has 75cm, but is that through constant rain so NS is no better than the UK or very few days but when it rains, it pours so more rain, but on far less days??!!
I've been in Calgary in Oct-Nov and it was frosty most mornings but blue sky everyday, and in Toronto in January... boy was it cold, -35 with the wind chill, but we loved it!!
Thanks again all.

PzFus Oct 16th 2012 11:26 am

We live in NB so generally the same weather during the spring, summer and autumn, but colder and more snow in the winter than most of Nova Scotia.

IMHO it rains more here than in Central UK. I'm originally from the Northwest of England - which generally is the wettest part of England - and it is every bit as wet here if not a bit more. But as some of the other posts have said it tends to come in heavier downpours - including tropical storms/hurricanes that are in their last throws as they run up into the Northern Atlantic. (None this year of any note but one big event in each of the last 2 years)

If you want a good look at Canadian weather to do a scientific comparison and get a feel for what the weather looks like try here:

WEATHER NETWORK

You won't be helped by the BBC global weather forecast on a day to day basis, as they always miss off Atlantic Canada.

Cookie Oct 16th 2012 4:17 pm

We get hundreds more hours of sunshine and as some-one else said if we do get more rain it comes down heavier and much less often.

Howefamily Oct 17th 2012 12:59 am

We have been here a year and a half and I feel like it rains way less here than in the UK. And overcast days are fewer so that makes a massive difference to me. I cant stand rain, give me snow anytime over rain.

And summer - well its just GREAT!:thumbup:

talb999 Oct 18th 2012 9:23 am

Thanks guys. The general concensus seems to be.. when it rains, it really does, but far less often on a daily basis than here.
That's one in the eye for the missus as it appears my opinion has won this bet!!!!

christmasoompa Oct 18th 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by talb999 (Post 10337044)
Thanks guys. The general concensus seems to be.. when it rains, it really does, but far less often on a daily basis than here.
That's one in the eye for the missus as it appears my opinion has won this bet!!!!

Ah, but who's won the bet about the fog?! :lol:

chobert Oct 21st 2012 2:17 am

Been here 15 months and would certainly seem we've had better weather than the UK. By better, I mean we've still got the 4 seasons here. And there are certainly some cold winter days however the sky is blue and the sun is shining - give me that anyday over grey cloudy UK days.

Yes it rains. But I would say there are less rain days than in the UK. And don't believe the stats over fog. It soon clears and I wouldn't swap NS weather for the UK drab anyday.

Howefamily Oct 21st 2012 10:56 am

Yep sometimes there is fog but nothing that really stands out