Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Originally Posted by Lychee
I think it boils down to this: Canada is not the UK. Canada is Canada. People are bored because Canada is not the UK.

Moving to Canada without appreciating the cultural, economic, social, geographical, and historical differences for what they are, rather than what they are not, is key.

Rather than criticize Canada for its differences, understand why those differences from the UK exist. Once you understand why the differences exist, and then accept those differences for what they are, you can adapt, and the differences no longer seem a nuisance or an annoyance.

There's also a lot of ignorance about Canada, and it seems that many fail to truly understand the the societal aspects of Canada before moving, or that this differs from region to region, even within a province.

I think many of the Canadian/UK cultural differences can often be explained from Canada's continental scale vs. the UK's tiny geography, and Canada's tiny population strewn across a vast continent compared to the population density of the UK. Other differences can explained by Canada's natural resource extraction economy and extreme climate, and its short colonial history compared to the UK's thousands of years of modern history. This is a massive oversimplification of course, but all plays a role in these two countries' differences.

One topic that comes to mind are the footpaths in the UK countryside. There is a reason these exist in the UK and not in Canada. Again, it can be explained by the factors mentioned above.

On paper, Canada may seem similar somewhat to the UK, but when you move, you'll discover that the people are different, they think differently, they value different things, they socialize differently, they acquire jobs differently, they plan their cities differently, they build their buildings differently, they shop differently, they eat differently, they style their hair differently, they listen to different music, they consume different media, they socialize differently, and so on.

There used to be a regular to the BE forum, Judy_in_Calgary, a true gem and a wise woman. She used to say, "look at Canada through an anthropological lens". In fact, it may be written in the Wiki under "culture shock". Either way, all I know is that if you look at Canada from your UK-tinted glasses, comparing it to how it is or how it isn't like the UK, but instead start understanding Canada in its own context, you'll likely be a whole lot happier.

I couldn't agree more.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fitting_into_Canada
Open and accepting attitude

Your transition will be smoother if you have an open mind and accept that day to day things are done differently in Canada.
As anthropologist Wade Davis said, “The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit."

You're an anthropologist

Actually the reference to an anthropologist is a useful one.
You can make things more fun if you view yourself as an anthropologist studying the customs of the native tribe.
Then every request for a double double and a box of timbits can, instead of being a boring nuisance, be an interesting field observation.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
NS minimum wage being the highest??? Wow that's something to be proud of for sure, they need to do something to attempt to make people stay

http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/77033
Try not to get these two parts mixed up and have the first comment appear on the listing
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:25 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I struggle to understand the 'we couldn't be outside in the UK because of the weather' I see occasionally on here. We're outside every weekend, no matter what the weathers doing. Do people really not go for a walk or a bike ride just because it's raining?

I also struggle to see why anybody would pay £135 for Legoland tickets when you can get them for free using Clubcard or Nectar points, or at least get free child & half price adult tickets on one of their frequent promotions. We used to have annual passes as it's only 15 mins from us, never paid a penny to go there though. Every day out we do is either free or heavily discounted (cinema tickets for £1 each tomorrow morning as a prime example).

Heck, in October we're spending a week in Morocco for free courtesy of Clubcard points, you be amazed what you can get with them!

I've only been to NS once and it seemed very nice, but can't imagine there's any more 'outdoorsy' stuff I'd do there than in the UK, or that taking the family out would be cheaper, particularly given the price of eating out there.

There are many arguments for NS I'm sure, but those two aren't convincing me somehow.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Interesting thread.

As we are currently planning our move to NS, I am always interested in peoples personal experiences of the place, why they were drawn there, and ultimately, what drives them away.

A few of the OP's points are the very same reasons we are leaving Alberta, and as it seems from some of the replies, how a lot of the expats feel about where they currently live.
So, is the problem us expats, who are looking for something that doesn't exist? Or is it just Canada that is boring?

A couple of replies mentioned New Zealand being the same. So it must be the British attitude that's the problem? We do have a long history of traveling to foreign lands and trying to make them as much like Britain as possible. Perhaps we are just never content. We are well known as a race of complainers who love to have something to moan about. How else can so many, living is very different parts of a country so large and diverse, have the same feelings of boredom and complain of having nothing to do.

We are still planning to give NS a go, but my wife and I have decided to give it 2 years, and if either of us have issues or haven't settled, then we move on. That is part of the problem for us here in Calgary, after 6 years, we've been here too long. The first 4 years were great, then we got in a rut and are now bored sh*tless.

Who knows, maybe we will find our paradise in Nova Scotia, we shall just have to find out for ourselves.

Or, perhaps, we have just all got the travel bug, and after making the move from the UK, we just need to keep moving? After all, for us anyway, this is the 5th country we have lived in!
Originally Posted by confused_uk
the undutchables - My thoughts exactly, maybe the majority of expats just have that sort of personality where they will never be content anywhere & always looking for something better
We were having this exact discussion this morning! I think some people are chasing a dream idea which doesn't really exist. What you gain in one area, you lose in another, wherever you are in the world. Unless you are absolutely bursting at the seams with cash and can afford to fly/travel to whatever you desire at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately the majority are not in this situation so we have to prioritise what we want, you can't have it all.

Last edited by AlmostThere12; Apr 14th 2014 at 9:27 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:20 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it boils down to this: Canada is not the UK. Canada is Canada. People are bored because Canada is not the UK.

Moving to Canada without appreciating the cultural, economic, social, geographical, and historical differences for what they are, rather than what they are not, is key.

Rather than criticize Canada for its differences, understand why those differences from the UK exist. Once you understand why the differences exist, and then accept those differences for what they are, you can adapt, and the differences no longer seem a nuisance or an annoyance.

There's also a lot of ignorance about Canada, and it seems that many fail to truly understand the the societal aspects of Canada before moving, or that this differs from region to region, even within a province.

I think many of the Canadian/UK cultural differences can often be explained from Canada's continental scale vs. the UK's tiny geography, and Canada's tiny population strewn across a vast continent compared to the population density of the UK. Other differences can explained by Canada's natural resource extraction economy and extreme climate, and its short colonial history compared to the UK's thousands of years of modern history. This is a massive oversimplification of course, but all plays a role in these two countries' differences.

One topic that comes to mind are the footpaths in the UK countryside. There is a reason these exist in the UK and not in Canada. Again, it can be explained by the factors mentioned above.

On paper, Canada may seem similar somewhat to the UK, but when you move, you'll discover that the people are different, they think differently, they value different things, they socialize differently, they acquire jobs differently, they plan their cities differently, they build their buildings differently, they shop differently, they eat differently, they style their hair differently, they listen to different music, they consume different media, they socialize differently, and so on.

There used to be a regular to the BE forum, Judy_in_Calgary, a true gem and a wise woman. She used to say, "look at Canada through an anthropological lens". In fact, it may be written in the Wiki under "culture shock". Either way, all I know is that if you look at Canada from "UK-tinted glasses", comparing it to how it is or how it isn't like the UK, but instead start understanding Canada in its own context, you'll likely be a whole lot happier.
Great post. Just because it's an English speaking country doesn't make it England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales. If that's what you are looking for then just stay home.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
What a shame.

I do like that things are divided up between the provinces because I think with such a big country each area is going to know what's best for it's people, but I see no reason why tax can't be equal then distributed between the provinces based on their population needs
Different provinces have different needs and as such different methods and rates of taxation, the provinces are not all created equal, and I don't think a one size tax policy across the board would work well in the end.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Different provinces have different needs and as such different methods and rates of taxation, the provinces are not all created equal, and I don't think a one size tax policy across the board would work well in the end.
Exactly.

Don't underestimate the continental scale of Canada. It's easier to think of national unity in Canada functioning more like the unity of the European Union rather than at a European country level. Canada's provinces often function like separate countries, and it makes sense: Canada is geographically larger than Europe, with its own distinct regional economies and histories.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 14th 2014 at 10:33 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:30 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Great post. Just because it's an English speaking country doesn't make it England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales. If that's what you are looking for then just stay home.
that quote makes no sense at all
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I struggle to understand the 'we couldn't be outside in the UK because of the weather' I see occasionally on here. We're outside every weekend, no matter what the weathers doing. Do people really not go for a walk or a bike ride just because it's raining?

I also struggle to see why anybody would pay £135 for Legoland tickets when you can get them for free using Clubcard or Nectar points, or at least get free child & half price adult tickets on one of their frequent promotions. We used to have annual passes as it's only 15 mins from us, never paid a penny to go there though. Every day out we do is either free or heavily discounted (cinema tickets for £1 each tomorrow morning as a prime example).

Heck, in October we're spending a week in Morocco for free courtesy of Clubcard points, you be amazed what you can get with them!

I've only been to NS once and it seemed very nice, but can't imagine there's any more 'outdoorsy' stuff I'd do there than in the UK, or that taking the family out would be cheaper, particularly given the price of eating out there.

There are many arguments for NS I'm sure, but those two aren't convincing me somehow.
I spent my club card points on a Florida hotel. I hate rain big time. I rode a lot there but honestly I am done with the overcast and the rain. I prefer snow
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:50 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I spent my club card points on a Florida hotel. I hate rain big time. I rode a lot there but honestly I am done with the overcast and the rain. I prefer snow
Thank goodness the winter seems to have ended now though. It was too long this year. 24C here today at 5pm and was out for a nice long walk. Certainly put a spring in my step As a dog owner, I dislike rain big time
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is anything wrong with moving on, if the place you move to isn't quite right. Some people are happy to stay in the village they were born in, doing the job their parents did, some people want more. Some people love their new adoptive homes, some don't, some return to where they moved from as they realise what they wanted was there all along or maybe the spouse was doing ut to please their OH but couldn't live with it, some try another area for a multitude of reasons.

For quite a few years we were really happy here, after my parents in laws sudden deaths, my OH struggled mentally and his frustration with the length of winter grew and grew to the point where we both know we have to move on, the thought of being old in Alberta scares me. The depths of peoples feelings are hard to portray on a forum. For us our dreams when we emigrated have not been fulfilled, they are just taking longer to realise. We have realised they won't happen in Alberta where everyone thinks because you live in Alberta you have oil money. After a bit of googling, Red Deer now has a average house price of $400k, whereas in 2005 it was around $250k wages haven't gone up at the same rate.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I don't think there is anything wrong with moving on, if the place you move to isn't quite right. Some people are happy to stay in the village they were born in, doing the job their parents did, some people want more. Some people love their new adoptive homes, some don't, some return to where they moved from as they realise what they wanted was there all along or maybe the spouse was doing ut to please their OH but couldn't live with it, some try another area for a multitude of reasons.

For quite a few years we were really happy here, after my parents in laws sudden deaths, my OH struggled mentally and his frustration with the length of winter grew and grew to the point where we both know we have to move on, the thought of being old in Alberta scares me. The depths of peoples feelings are hard to portray on a forum. For us our dreams when we emigrated have not been fulfilled, they are just taking longer to realise. We have realised they won't happen in Alberta where everyone thinks because you live in Alberta you have oil money. After a bit of googling, Red Deer now has a average house price of $400k, whereas in 2005 it was around $250k wages haven't gone up at the same rate.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Well written, you have managed to write what I try, and fail, to say on here
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There's also a lot of ignorance about Canada....
And of course of most other obscure places.

Compared to the UK's thousands of years of modern history.
Ahem.

Otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.